Author Topic: Obama's response to the storm  (Read 7295 times)

Re: Obama's response to the storm
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2368
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
News Stories are starting to carry Romeny's quote from 2011 again regarding FEMA:

Quote from: NBC News
During a CNN/New Hampshire GOP debate last summer, the candidates were asked whether or not the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) should be shut down and states should take responsibility in disaster relief following following the Joplin tornado and FEMA’s financial problems.

“Absolutely,” Mitt Romney reponded. “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?”

Now as of today Mitt ROmney is assuring reporters that FEMA would not be defunded in a Mitt Romney presidency.

Just goes back to the reason why the Salt-Lake Tribune endorsed the President. You can't get a bead on what Mitt Romney will say or do tomorrow based on what he says or does today. Too many Mitts indeed.

Romney is Schrodinger's Candidate - he holds all possible stances in perfect superposition until observed, at which point he displays the position of the observer.

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2291
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
News Stories are starting to carry Romeny's quote from 2011 again regarding FEMA:

Quote from: NBC News
During a CNN/New Hampshire GOP debate last summer, the candidates were asked whether or not the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) should be shut down and states should take responsibility in disaster relief following following the Joplin tornado and FEMA’s financial problems.

“Absolutely,” Mitt Romney reponded. “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?”

Now as of today Mitt ROmney is assuring reporters that FEMA would not be defunded in a Mitt Romney presidency.

Just goes back to the reason why the Salt-Lake Tribune endorsed the President. You can't get a bead on what Mitt Romney will say or do tomorrow based on what he says or does today. Too many Mitts indeed.

Romney is Schrodinger's Candidate - he holds all possible stances in perfect superposition until observed, at which point he displays the position of the observer.

Just tried explaining this joke to my wife over the phone. Then I had to try to explain Schrodinger's cat. Then I had to try to explain physics. This joke is just plain the nerdiest most hilarious thing I'll read all day.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

Online thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2557

Utility workers were sent to help restore electricity to NY and NJ from Alabama and other southern states, and they were evidently turned away because they are not unionized.  Has anyone heard this and does anyone know if this is true?  I hate to think it might be.  If it is, I would think the president would have to declare Marshall Law or something and demand that the help be accepted.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »

Online thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2557
Sorry, I just saw the other thread.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1589

Utility workers were sent to help restore electricity to NY and NJ from Alabama and other southern states, and they were evidently turned away because they are not unionized.  Has anyone heard this and does anyone know if this is true?  I hate to think it might be.  If it is, I would think the president would have to declare Marshall Law or something and demand that the help be accepted.

Being discussed here :)

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60446.0

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27978
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Haha.  Wow:

Looks like half of the words got left us, since their is strangely no mention of Occupy Wall Street, George Soros, Ed Schultz, etc.  A more cynical person might think that was intentional, and was using the suffering of millions in a pathetic, transparent attempt to score political points.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Haha.  Wow:

Looks like half of the words got left us, since their is strangely no mention of Occupy Wall Street, George Soros, Ed Schultz, etc.  A more cynical person might think that was intentional, and was using the suffering of millions in a pathetic, transparent attempt to score political points.

Pretty effective pathetic transparent attempt to score political points. When I first read your criticism, I thought, 'Ah, Roy's just banging that eye for an eye drum again', but you're right. They could've easily incorporated Occupy Wall Street in there and left off one of the others, and made it more inclusive. Rather than saying, "Its your fault you left" it should say "Babe, we both made mistakes"

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Haha.  Wow:

Pretty effective pathetic transparent attempt to score political points. When I first read your criticism, I thought, 'Ah, Roy's just banging that eye for an eye drum again', but you're right. They could've easily incorporated Occupy Wall Street in there and left off one of the others, and made it more inclusive. Rather than saying, "Its your fault you left" it should say "Babe, we both made mistakes"

"We both made mistakes" would be the message if the makers of that photo had any interest in coming together.

It's the same thing as politicians calling for more civility in our discourse 15 seconds before they call the other side Nazis.

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Haha.  Wow:

"We both made mistakes" would be the message if the makers of that photo had any interest in coming together.

It's the same thing as politicians calling for more civility in our discourse 15 seconds before they call the other side Nazis.

I think they do want to 'come together', and work towards a political landscape where everyone can agree democrats are right.

I mean the photo doesn't lie. The Koch brothers, Limbaugh, the co-opting of the Tea Party by far-right influences and opportunists like Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann, the Birther movement in general and anyone who helped lend it legitimacy, those things are partially responsible for the widening partisan gap.

But pretending like that's the whole story is not only disingenuous, it is also ultimately counter-productive by making the problem 'their fault' instead of 'our problem'.

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Haha.  Wow:

I think they do want to 'come together', and work towards a political landscape where everyone can agree democrats are right.

I mean the photo doesn't lie. The Koch brothers, Limbaugh, the co-opting of the Tea Party by far-right influences and opportunists like Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann, the Birther movement in general and anyone who helped lend it legitimacy, those things are partially responsible for the widening partisan gap.

But pretending like that's the whole story is not only disingenuous, it is also ultimately counter-productive by making the problem 'their fault' instead of 'our problem'.

I agree with that.

I'm also saddened that whoever made the photo believes that we are no longer Americans.  It's a very totalitarian, authoritarian view:  if you don't feel exactly like I do, you're not an American.  Sad and disgusting.

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Haha.  Wow:

I agree with that.

I'm also saddened that whoever made the photo believes that we are no longer Americans.  It's a very totalitarian, authoritarian view:  if you don't feel exactly like I do, you're not an American.  Sad and disgusting.

Both parties have been selling that trash for a while.

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1242
Haha.  Wow:

I agree with you in principal that the divisivenss and vitriole has come from both sides of the fence.  I also resent the implication that those on the 'other side' are unamerican. There is no need for that message.

However, I can't resist expressing the opinion that in tems of persistence of vitriolic rhetoric, influence,  and impact, Rush and the Tea party have been in a different league than  Ed Shultz and 'Occupy'.  I venture to guess that very few Americans can speak with any knowledge of what the 'Occupy' movement is (was ?) or even who Ed Shultz is.  And as a person who has seen a lot of Ed Shultz I can tell you that as revoltingly partisan as he is and as over the top as he can get, he is just not on par with the rhetoric of Limbaugh, Beck or Savage. On par with Hannity perhaps, but not the others.

With influence comes responsibility and it would be nice for ALL of them (both sides) to use Christy's example of decency, honesty and apolitical focus as a model.   

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 348
Related to the prior posts with the pic of Christy and Obama: does Christy put Obama over the top in the election?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Haha.  Wow:

Touching image.  Too bad about the words.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson