Author Topic: This team is coming back different after the short break  (Read 5879 times)

This team is coming back different after the short break
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
4 before the Wizards again. 6 days before we face a playoff team (6ers).

This team is coming back different.

All that talk about defense and chemistry, how about just playing bad?

They're in a funk. Teams get in funks. Great teams get in funks, mediocre teams get in funks, even bad teams play worse than usual at times.

The Jet has been struggling on offense of all things. Pierce looked sluggish at times, committing ugly turnovers. KG hasn't been too good until today.

Uncharacteristic to say the least.

But we have a team with so many veterans who have played significant roles in playoff teams. Old vets like KG, Pierce and Barbosa. Young vets in Rondo, Courtney Lee, Bass and Barbosa. We have a team with so many high character guys.

If anybody could bounce back from a funk like this in a jiffy, it's this team.

Remember how bad they thrashed the Nets's full roster in the pre-season? The Nets had something to prove but the men in green played solid (not great) defense (37% shooting), chemistry wasn't a significant problem and annihilated them.

In case you forgot:

Highlights and box:
http://www.nba.com/tvc/index.html?gamecode=20121018/BOSBKN&brand=BKN
Game analyses:
http://www.nba.com/nets/news/nets-vs-celtics-preseason-game-4
http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/10/18/3524452/celtics-offense-looks-healthy-in-brooklyn-preseason-game
http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/10/18/fast-break-celtics-find-their-groove-in-rout-over-nets/
And the game thread:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60251.120

This is what this team is capable of at this point. Solid defense, no real chemistry issues, great scoring. Any given night we could have the hot hand and go nuts at a 56% clip.

The two and a half losses are unfortunate but they learn from their mistakes. Great considering that we're only 3 games into the season (which seems to be a conveniently overlooked fact and it's heartbreaking to watch some of our own basically crown the Heat at this point).

I trust the vets will right the ship and snap us back into...well...preseason form, I guess.

Re: This team is coming back different after the short break
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I have no faith this Team will bounce back. Until at least 2 bench players break out and contribute. If we are going to struggle let it be now and strengthen in the 2nd half.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Gonna take a while for the chemistry to kick in. Im not worried.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Do you guys remember how bad this team looked at the start of the lockout season last year, or after we revamped the roster with the Perk trade and added Murphy, Pavlovic, and Arroyo?

KG looked cooked at the start of last season, and Pierce looked so out of shape that I thought he didn't care anymore. We had so many awful games, they looked a whole lot worse than the team we saw against the Bucks the other night.

Any time we get a few new guys, it takes a while to get everyone up to speed on the plays and in synch. We will get there.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:54:03 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I need to pay up for my league pass since the trial period ends tomorrow. I shall take this period of one game at a time and know that the new players must step up. Also know that Avery Bradley will come eventually and that has to help. This team will be very good, I promise or I will run up and down 33rd Avenue naked so I can get locked up in the looney bin and get away from the NBA permanently.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think the problem this season is the same as last season - Rondo and KG feel no sense of urgency to put in even 80% effort yet.  We're going to keep coasting and float around a .500 record until they decide to play with 100% effort.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think the problem this season is the same as last season - Rondo and KG feel no sense of urgency to put in even 80% effort yet.  We're going to keep coasting and float around a .500 record until they decide to play with 100% effort.

Point # 1 - Quote from NBA.com Power Rankings
"New bench, same old issues. The Celtics have allowed 99 points per 100 possessions with Kevin Garnett on the floor (86 minutes) and 116 with him on the bench (58 minutes)."

Point # 2 - Per 36 minute statistics

Garnett:
16.3 Pts, 1.6 Ass, 9.7 Reb, 2.1 blk, 46% FG

Rondo:
13 Pts, 10.4 Ass, 4.6 Reb, 1.5 Stl, 2.3 TO, 56% FG, 40% 3PT

Pierce:
21.3 Pts, 3.5 Ass, 6.3 Reb, 40% FG, 47% 3PT, 94% FT

I agree that in parts it seems like the guys are putting in 80%-90% effort rather than the 150% effort they invest in the playoffs, looking at the numbers they are putting up can you really complain?  I think they are more than likely still working themselves into game shape physically (especially KG) and I think after 10-15 games they will be back in aggressive mode.

Still I like what I see from our big 3 regardless:

- Rondo's 4.5 ASS:TO ratio is exceptional, his scoring is up, he's shooting at an excellent percentage from the field and from three

- KG is scoring and rebounding at a similar rate to last season, but has been more aggressive with his shot blocking

- Pierce has been scoring well (aside from a single bad game) and has been lights out from three and from the foul line

Trust me, the issue is not with our existing guys, the issue is with our new guys.  Guys like Lee, Green, Terry and Barbosa who are new to the team and have yet to find their groove - this will pass.

Terry for example is second all-time in 3PT FG made, and he shot 70% from behind the Arc in the preseason.  He's just hit a tough spot, but I assure you he will come out of that hole.

Green is green (no pun intended). He's not played for over a year, he's coming to a team with a group of guys he isn't used to playing with, and they also aren't used to playing with him.  In the preseason the games didn't mean much, so he probably felt free to play with minimal pressure.  Now the games count, so he's probably overthinking a little.  Give him a few games to get his confidence and to get familiar with his teammates and before we know it he'll be back in preseason form. The Washington game was already a big improvement over the first two.

Barbosa is a streaky scorer - we all know this.  He's quick like a bullet but he is more likely going to have on games and off games throughout the season. On the fast break he is going to be a killer.

Lee has been solid, his shot has just been a little off.  I don't mind too much because he's doing a solid job in other areas  and has been pretty fundamentally sound.  He's not an elite scorer and shouldn't be expected to give us 15-20 PPG.  He will give us 10-12 PPG much like Bradley did, and much like he did in similar minutes with Houston. 

Sully is a rookie and obviously will take a bit of time to get going full force, but I've always liked a lot of things I've seen from him and I thought he did really well in the first quarter against WAS in the last game. I felt a big part of our sucess in the first quarter was the Sully + KG combination, because those two guys were defending the post nicely and eating up rebounds.

Darko would be nice...if he actually got a chance to play.  I'm still seeing too much Bass/Sully at center for my liking.  Regardless the issues right now is simply chemistry, confidence and familiarity.  Once the guys get a handle on those things we will be a really good team, us as fans just need to be patient.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:24:50 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:26 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I sincerely hope that the change is for the better.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I need to pay up for my league pass since the trial period ends tomorrow. I shall take this period of one game at a time and know that the new players must step up. Also know that Avery Bradley will come eventually and that has to help. This team will be very good, I promise or I will run up and down 33rd Avenue naked so I can get locked up in the looney bin and get away from the NBA permanently.
Hahaha that was hilarious

TP
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Celtics can win most games IF  "KG" plays heavy heavy minutes. As long as he is in the game we have better than even odds to beat most teams. We aren't beating any playoff caliber teams with KG sitting on the bench.

We need another superstar big if KG can't stay out on the court.  Danny surely see s this. :-\

We will get better for certain. Still I think the Celtics are ONE superstar player away from being where we all would like to see them this year.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
it really all hinges on our defense. if our players start to get the rotations down, we will start winning games.

also would be nice to see Jason Terry/Jeff Green start to get it going.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I predict it won't be a blowout but it will be a step in the right direction.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We'll eventually get on track, but I'm not expecting it until February.  That's when KG flipped a switch last year and put us on his back.  That's also realistically when we'll be looking at making a trade for an impact big man.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
We'll eventually get on track, but I'm not expecting it until February.  That's when KG flipped a switch last year and put us on his back.  That's also realistically when we'll be looking at making a trade for an impact big man.

Yeah, have to agree in principal. I hope it doesnt take till Feb, but it will take a couple of months most likely. Wether we trade or not, we need time to gel. There are just too many new faces and we are expecting them to play at a high level together right out of the gate.

As to when or if we make a move? Could be a trade if the right guy is available. We could just find the right combination and get ourselves in gear without any outside help.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4698655/terrys-cautionary-tale-not-every-team-gets-it

Updates updates updates!

Everyone's coming in early to practice and staying late, says the Jet. Exact quote is:

"The quicker we can get together the better rhythm we're going to be in as a team," said Terry. "As much as we're leaning on [a veteran core of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Rajon Rondo], they're leaning on us to pick up this system and kind of learn. We've been coming early, 15 minutes, the guys that are new and running through our plays and getting down the terminology, and we've also been staying late, so hopefully that'll pay off."

I'd wager that the Jet organized this. I'm still standing by my belief in this team.

We can do it! Let's go C's!