Author Topic: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns  (Read 8637 times)

Re: I'm not the only one who thinks that Russell Westbrook is a bonehead..
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
What is important is Oklahoma understanding his strengths and weaknesses and building the rest of the team around him accordingly.

I couldn't agree with this more

I'm going to ignore the people who say "I don't care about his stats" because I find that to be a nonstarter. If you are judging him by some metric of intangibles then I guess we'll just agree to disagree. He has, as Fan_from_VT put it, monster production.

I agree that his AST/TO ratio is bad but I would argue that his TOs aren't abnormally high, his assists are just low. He has the same number of TOs per game as Rondo last season, just half the assists. Then again Rondo had the best shooting team last season. Westbrook had #13. I know that can be a product of the PGs but it's a fair point nonetheless.

Further, his assists average for last season was down from the 2 seasons before we he hovered around 8. He certainly has the ability. He's just had to do different things as the team changes. He averaged 12 more points than Rondo last season. Assuming 2pt-ers and 50% shooting that is 12 more shots, or possessions. That is 12 more times he could have gotten an assist. Assume 50% shooting again for the passes and that is 6 more assists which puts him up there with Rondo.

I was about to say, top 15 IN PGs... lol, how many good PGs are even in the league?!

And i hate to nitpick man but he was 8th in the league in steals not top 5, but more importantly, being top 15 in PG's as a good stat?

Okay. Top 15 IN ASSISTS. He was the #1 scoring PG and #1 rebounding PG and top 5 in steals among PGs. I know I lumped that in with the scoring thing and that was probably confusing. Top 15 in the NBA isn't so bad to me, especially when that is your worst stat.

The westbrook hate is not restricted to this forum...some people just call it as they see it...extremely gifted and extremely stupid basketball player

My whole thread was to say I disagree and then to present numbers to back up my point of view. I think a very stupid player can't average the kind of numbers Westbrook has been putting up for the past 2 seasons. I'm not hiring him to do my taxes or anything but I think he's a pretty good PG who is growing up fast on a title contender. It's crazy to me people think he's, and I'm quoting, selfish, dumb, egotistical and a baby. I disagree with all of that. He's not Einstein but he's not a box of rocks either. He's a top PG in the NBA, by the numbers and by the results.

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
My whole thread was to say I disagree and then to present numbers to back up my point of view. I think a very stupid player can't average the kind of numbers Westbrook has been putting up for the past 2 seasons. I'm not hiring him to do my taxes or anything but I think he's a pretty good PG who is growing up fast on a title contender. It's crazy to me people think he's, and I'm quoting, selfish, dumb, egotistical and a baby. I disagree with all of that. He's not Einstein but he's not a box of rocks either. He's a top PG in the NBA, by the numbers and by the results.
You don't have to have a broad basketball understanding if you are always going to try to score. You can be a box of rocks, because you aren't choosing an action based on the situation. It doesn't take much thought to take a pull up jumper. It may take great skill, but not much thought or insight. You can be a great scorer with a low basketball IQ. Similarly, you can get a lot of steals while being a bad defender and having a low basketball IQ. It just takes fast hands.

Westbrook is a very good player. But I have never thought he had a high basketball IQ. That can be a problem for a high usage PG, but OKC has had too much success with him to obsess on the problem. I may not like Westbrook's game these days, but they are better off with him than with most alternatives. Andre Miller could probably set Durant up much better, but the team would be worse. To some degree, you have to take the good with the bad. Westbrook will never be a cerebral player.

Re: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't think anyone thinks he is a bad player... most people feels that he thinks he is the man when NO ONE would take him over Durant (probably not even WB's fans... okay maybe they would lol). He is a great player but he makes the wrong decision (usually to shoot) at the wrong times! Like I said, if Wade can take a backseat to the best player in the world then Wesbrook should have NO PROBLEM conceding to the number 2 player in the world! I know people think they need WB (and I actually like him), but I think they would be better with RR...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How did "Re: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns" become the title of the Westbrook thread? Was the Westbrook thread merged with an unrelated thread?

I have no idea who Coach Nick is, but this is annoying.

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:27 AM »

Kiorrik

How did "Re: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns" become the title of the Westbrook thread? Was the Westbrook thread merged with an unrelated thread?

I'm a bit confused too, dunno who did it and don't want to mingle, but the only "offtopic" post (maybe there were two) were about other videos by Coach Nick.

Honestly, a bit confusing.

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'm a bit confused too, dunno who did it and don't want to mingle, but the only "offtopic" post (maybe there were two) were about other videos by Coach Nick.

I posted the Westbrook video in 'Around the NBA'.
I then posted the Celtics vs Miami video by the same guy in 'Celtics Talk' becuase I thought it constituted Celtics talk and I focused on his positive words for Sully and his negative words for Green. I really don't know why the threads were merged, it's not like there's a flood of Coach Nick vids and it takes away from the different intentions of each post. One for general NBA discussion, and one for Celtic discussion. Many forum viewers won't see the Celtics vs Miami video now because they've been merged, and many won't know there's a video criticizing Westbrook.

I don't think the merging was justified and it annoyed me too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 07:57:55 AM »

Kiorrik

I posted the Westbrook video in 'Around the NBA'.
I then posted the Celtics vs Miami video by the same guy in 'Celtics Talk' becuase I thought it constituted Celtics talk and I focused on his positive words for Sully and his negative words for Green. I really don't know why the threads were merged, it's not like there's a flood of Coach Nick vids and it takes away from the different intentions of each post. One for general NBA discussion, and one for Celtic discussion. Many forum viewers won't see the Celtics vs Miami video now because they've been merged, and many won't know there's a video criticizing Westbrook.

I don't think the merging was justified and it annoyed me too.
Don't worry too much about it m8. I'm sure we'll survive ;)

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I merged the videos, because the first thread was 'Im not the only person who thought Westbrook was a bonehead...' (The other person being 'Coach Nick'), and the second was 'He criticized Westbrook, Now he criticized Green', (he being 'Coach Nick')

So that's why they got merged. If anyone has any further questions about it they're welcome to PM me, Id be happy to discuss it further.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 07:48:56 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
You don't have to have a broad basketball understanding if you are always going to try to score. You can be a box of rocks, because you aren't choosing an action based on the situation. It doesn't take much thought to take a pull up jumper. It may take great skill, but not much thought or insight. You can be a great scorer with a low basketball IQ. Similarly, you can get a lot of steals while being a bad defender and having a low basketball IQ. It just takes fast hands.

Westbrook is a very good player. But I have never thought he had a high basketball IQ. That can be a problem for a high usage PG, but OKC has had too much success with him to obsess on the problem. I may not like Westbrook's game these days, but they are better off with him than with most alternatives. Andre Miller could probably set Durant up much better, but the team would be worse. To some degree, you have to take the good with the bad. Westbrook will never be a cerebral player.

My point was that I don't think he's the player he's being characterized in many of these comments. I don't think he's always looking to score. I think for 2 seasons he averaged 8+ assists. He also rebounds extremely well and averages high in steals annually. Those are basketball plays that don't just require athleticism but also an understanding of passing lanes and how to play basketball.

I don't buy the "he's getting by on his athleticism/skill"  argument at all. I think those things propel him to be a great player but I think his motor and his understanding of basketball are key components too.

Fundamentally I agree with you. I like watching Rondo and Nash and Paul more than I like watching Westbrook. For my taste I just thing that is more fun to watch. However most of my responses have been to try to beat back a lot of the unmitigated Westbrook bashing. Of course he has flaws but it's ridiculous to call him names when he's proving to be one of the most productive point guards in the NBA on a very successful team. That is all I'm trying to say.