Author Topic: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns  (Read 8639 times)

Re: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Westbrook is a PG ... just a score-first PG instead of a pass first PG. There lots of different ways to play a position and the way Westbrook does is perfectly acceptable.

What is important is Oklahoma understanding his strengths and weaknesses and building the rest of the team around him accordingly.

The problem is they should be building around Durant, not Westbrook.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Westbrook is a PG ... just a score-first PG instead of a pass first PG. There lots of different ways to play a position and the way Westbrook does is perfectly acceptable.

What is important is Oklahoma understanding his strengths and weaknesses and building the rest of the team around him accordingly.

They should be building around both of them. It's not one or the other.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They should be building around both only is Westbrook gets his ego in check. Like "Imshakhesshaq" said, Westbrook needs to realize that Durant is "the second best overall player" in the league!

Durant needs some Kobe in him put Westbrook in his place and say get outta my way and give me the ball.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's a little weird (the level of criticism). In his 5th season, monster production. Could he be better? Yes. So could everyone in the NBA.

As for his finals performance:

27 ppg
6.6 Apg
6.4 RPG
2.2 TO pg
.433 from the field
.824 from the line

He was easily the 3rd best player in a finals that included Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Durant, Harden, Ibaka. He gets criticized for shooting in the finals, but with Harden dropping a stink bomb and two of the best wing defenders in the NBA blanketing Durant, Westbrook was the bailout option on every single offensive possession.

Now, it is an interesting question (as I posted in another thread) whether OKC should have traded Westbrook or Harden based on what they could get in return. But both are franchise cornerstones. Just because they are not as good as Durant doesn't mean they shouldn't stay on Durant's team.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of those games though one could argue they would have won with Durant having more touches.   He is a ball hog at times and this hurts his team.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

They should be building around both only is Westbrook gets his ego in check. Like "Imshakhesshaq" said, Westbrook needs to realize that Durant is "the second best overall player" in the league!

Durant needs some Kobe in him put Westbrook in his place and say get outta my way and give me the ball.
thing is he can't, have you seen him get on Westbrook? he acts like a baby and gets butt hurt
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

fitzhickey

I feel bad for Durant. Could you imagine if OKC had gone for a Trio of Durant, CP3, and Harden?
If that happened, I would take a break of a few years from nba

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
The other thing to remember is, good as Durant is (and he's great), he does have flaws, and one is that he goes through periods where it's hard for him to get open.

Think about Ray Allen these last couple years, but if Ray Allen was our number one scoring option and we wanted him to get more touches.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
The Westbrook hate on this forum is high lately. Westbrook had an absolutely ridiculous 2011-12 season.

One point that people keep making is that Westbrook doesn't pass the ball enough, or rephrased, takes too many shots. Specifically that he doesn't pass the ball to the reigning scoring champ. I get that but here are some numbers from last season:

He was in the top 15 point guards in assists
He was in the top 5 in scoring and steals
He was the top rebounding point guard and top 10 among all guards.
He was top 5 in FT% among point guards

Those are absolutely ridiculous numbers. If all of those things are just athletic gifts then I guess that is what you need in the NBA because those numbers are bonkers. Considering both he and Durant are in the top 5 in scoring from last season and their team made the finals I'm not sure where all the skepticism and criticism is coming from.

Here is something that people don't take into account. Durant hangs out by the 3 point line a lot. When he's not doing that he's in isolation or he's running off of screens. Now just for a second let's consider this. You're the PG. The other team has to double team Durant or at least guard the screens he's running off of. Westbrook driving when people are paying attention to Durant is a good move. Sometimes the best thing Durant can do is be the best player on the floor who never gets the ball. He takes everyones attention so Nick Collison can get easy layups or Westbrook can drive into 1 guy instead of 3 or so Ibaka and Perkins can get put backs. It was the same philosophy we had with Ray Allen except Durant is better and does other awesome and amazing things like lead the league in scoring despite being the focal point of most teams defense.

Anyway this is all to say stop hating on Westbrook. He's shown nothing but all-star, top tier greatness in his few years in the NBA. He does make mental mistakes. He's 23.

The westbrook hate is not restricted to this forum...some people just call it as they see it...extremely gifted and extremely stupid basketball player

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Not only is he a selfish basketball player who makes dumb decisions on the court, he also makes even dumber decisions off the court. There were numerous reports of him and Harden drinking and partying late into the night in south beach during the finals, and we all saw how well they both played down in miami in that series. For that alone, I would trade him.

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
Not only is he a selfish basketball player who makes dumb decisions on the court, he also makes even dumber decisions off the court. There were numerous reports of him and Harden drinking and partying late into the night in south beach during the finals, and we all saw how well they both played down in miami in that series. For that alone, I would trade him.

I hadnt heard about those party-up stories.  That is maddening.  Perhaps this explains Hardaways disappearance in the finals.  What a [dang] shame. As a Durant fan my man deserves better.  I expected the Thunder to have a put up a stronger fight last year.  Dont drink and hey Durant dont train with your nemesis...

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I believe he has taken more shots than Durant in each of their three games this year....a great athlete who amazes me, BUT, OKC's game plan needs adjustment

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I liked Westbrook early on. I started to detest him when he became all-NBA. He is an excellent scorer, but he has the kind of game that, in my opinion, will always seem better than it is, especially with quality teammates. He will always accumulate stats, but many stats can be accumulated to the detriment of team perfomance.

Look at Parker. Parker can fly under the radar because he can play less aggressively as his teammates carry the scoring load some games. Yet, when needed, he can take over and win finals MVP. Parker probably could have had more all star games and more all-NBA appearances if he was more aggressive at scoring. Or maybe that is a moot point because Pop wouldn't let it happen. I have never really liked Parker due to my desire for Rondo to be considered better than Parker, but tonight I feel like he is an interesting counter to Westbrook. I wouldn't be surprised if someone convinced me otherwise in the next hour.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:54:11 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Coach Nick gives an interesting perspective.
He states that KG no longer has the advantage over Bosh in the middle. I don't know what's changed to make him say that but the first game of the season isn't a platform for making that kind of judgement.
He also praises Sullinger and trashes Jeff Green for rookie mistakes, lack of aggression and poor defense. He also criticises his footwork which I have to agree with. Green's footwork is just hopeless sometimes.
What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/v/bos_JdGhSHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Coach Nicks videos are pretty bad, and not worth the time, personally. Just not a fan.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner