Author Topic: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns  (Read 8644 times)

Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:29:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Kid is freakishly athletic, but he's always taken way too many possessions away from Durant and Harden.
Coach Nick breaks down the San Antonio game.

Westbrook is probably a 2 guard, not a PG, but he's still dumb as a rock bball wise.

He's great with the ball in his hands, but as Nick points out, he's lost on defense very often which doesn't really ever show up in his stats.
If Westbrook passed the ball more I think Durant could average 33-34 points a game and the Thunder would use less possessions to get their ridiculous offensive numbers-ultimately winning more games.
Anyway here's the vid. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVitzGz9g2s&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:30:33 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Coach Nick's YouTube Breakdowns
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:53 AM »

fitzhickey

If we, god forbid, trade rondo for him I will go for okc
And he is an idiot
Don't get why they didn't trade him  ???

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:20:28 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I didnt realize skip bayless had an account on here.. :o

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I didnt realize skip bayless had an account on here.. :o

lol does Skip hate Westbrook?
I don't hate him, I just think he's dumb as a rock. Must be frustrating to coach him and play with him when he's got all the physical tools to be a hall of famer but can't comprehend his teams offense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Westbrook is a SG not a PG.   He takes way too many shots for my taste and sometimes forgets he is playing with Durant.  Still even despite this he is talented enough to give most teams fits.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I really do think he fell headfirst when he was still a baby.  ;D

Classic photo I saw was him and kobe talking while sitting in a bench during the olympics. He had the look of dumb while sporting a mohawk hairdo.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:44 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not much of a Westbrook fan.  Would rather have "HAD" D. ROse as my speed demon., ROndo or CP3.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I feel bad for Durant. Could you imagine if OKC had gone for a Trio of Durant, CP3, and Harden?

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Westbrook is a SG, that's who he should be.

Having him at PG is, well, we saw it against SA. And I bet we'll see more as the season progress.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Westbrook is a complete moron. His mental lapses are incredible and are going to hurt the thunder big time in the long run. He pretty much lost the Spurs game for them the other night. And they luckily pulled out a win when he jacked 26 shots to durants 14. When will he learn that Durant is miles better on the offensive end then he is.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
The Westbrook hate on this forum is high lately. Westbrook had an absolutely ridiculous 2011-12 season.

One point that people keep making is that Westbrook doesn't pass the ball enough, or rephrased, takes too many shots. Specifically that he doesn't pass the ball to the reigning scoring champ. I get that but here are some numbers from last season:

He was in the top 15 point guards in assists
He was in the top 5 in scoring and steals
He was the top rebounding point guard and top 10 among all guards.
He was top 5 in FT% among point guards

Those are absolutely ridiculous numbers. If all of those things are just athletic gifts then I guess that is what you need in the NBA because those numbers are bonkers. Considering both he and Durant are in the top 5 in scoring from last season and their team made the finals I'm not sure where all the skepticism and criticism is coming from.

Here is something that people don't take into account. Durant hangs out by the 3 point line a lot. When he's not doing that he's in isolation or he's running off of screens. Now just for a second let's consider this. You're the PG. The other team has to double team Durant or at least guard the screens he's running off of. Westbrook driving when people are paying attention to Durant is a good move. Sometimes the best thing Durant can do is be the best player on the floor who never gets the ball. He takes everyones attention so Nick Collison can get easy layups or Westbrook can drive into 1 guy instead of 3 or so Ibaka and Perkins can get put backs. It was the same philosophy we had with Ray Allen except Durant is better and does other awesome and amazing things like lead the league in scoring despite being the focal point of most teams defense.

Anyway this is all to say stop hating on Westbrook. He's shown nothing but all-star, top tier greatness in his few years in the NBA. He does make mental mistakes. He's 23.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Horrible decision maker, I don't care what he was Top 15 in. Him and D-Wade were about equally valuable to the Heat winning the whole thing last year.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Westbrook is a PG ... just a score-first PG instead of a pass first PG. There lots of different ways to play a position and the way Westbrook does is perfectly acceptable.

What is important is Oklahoma understanding his strengths and weaknesses and building the rest of the team around him accordingly.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Westbrook hate on this forum is high lately. Westbrook had an absolutely ridiculous 2011-12 season.

One point that people keep making is that Westbrook doesn't pass the ball enough, or rephrased, takes too many shots. Specifically that he doesn't pass the ball to the reigning scoring champ. I get that but here are some numbers from last season:

Those are absolutely ridiculous numbers. If all of those things are just athletic gifts then I guess that is what you need in the NBA because those numbers are bonkers. Considering both he and Durant are in the top 5 in scoring from last season and their team made the finals I'm not sure where all the skepticism and criticism is coming from.

Here is something that people don't take into account. Durant hangs out by the 3 point line a lot. When he's not doing that he's in isolation or he's running off of screens. Now just for a second let's consider this. You're the PG. The other team has to double team Durant or at least guard the screens he's running off of. Westbrook driving when people are paying attention to Durant is a good move. Sometimes the best thing Durant can do is be the best player on the floor who never gets the ball. He takes everyones attention so Nick Collison can get easy layups or Westbrook can drive into 1 guy instead of 3 or so Ibaka and Perkins can get put backs. It was the same philosophy we had with Ray Allen except Durant is better and does other awesome and amazing things like lead the league in scoring despite being the focal point of most teams defense.

Anyway this is all to say stop hating on Westbrook. He's shown nothing but all-star, top tier greatness in his few years in the NBA. He does make mental mistakes. He's 23.

The biggest stat that glares to me is out of 193 qualified (among stat numbers/game played) Russel Westbrook was number 189 in turnovers per game. His assists to turnover ratio was among the worst ten in the league.

He just doesnt make good decisions. When you've got the NBA scoring champion on your team taking as many shots as you and shooting better than you from all areas, wouldnt you try to get him the ball more often? Me thinks so...

And i hate to nitpick man but he was 8th in the league in steals not top 5, but more importantly, being top 15 in PG's as a good stat? That means HALF of the point guards in the league passed better than him. On a championship contender your PG has to make better decisions on when to get the ball to the open man.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

The biggest stat that glares to me is out of 193 qualified (among stat numbers/game played) Russel Westbrook was number 189 in turnovers per game. His assists to turnover ratio was among the worst ten in the league.

He just doesnt make good decisions. When you've got the NBA scoring champion on your team taking as many shots as you and shooting better than you from all areas, wouldnt you try to get him the ball more often? Me thinks so...

And i hate to nitpick man but he was 8th in the league in steals not top 5, but more importantly, being top 15 in PG's as a good stat? That means HALF of the point guards in the league passed better than him. On a championship contender your PG has to make better decisions on when to get the ball to the open man.

I was about to say, top 15 IN PGs... lol, how many good PGs are even in the league?! Heck, there are only about a handful of top notch PGs all together. Then the notion that Durant gets double teamed so it's sometimes best not to give him the ball... LOL pretty much most of the shots he takes and makes are doubled and triple teams, that's why he is the highest scorer, because it doesn't matter! You think when Shaq had 4 people hanging on him he would pass it out? LOL no, he took them with him! If you can score the rock the way guys like Durant can, he should be taking double Westbrook's shots! When you have Durant standing around looking around like he's on the bench when they are on offense, that's a problem! Just like Wade had to figure out after season 1, let LeBroid have the ball, let him take the big shots, and let him be "The Man", b/c he is the BEST player... Westbrook needs to learn that! Get your ego in check, Durant is clearly the best (second best overall), player on your team!! I also fault Durant, he needs some Kobe in him (not all the way as egotistical as he is though)... if you don't give Kome the ball then you might as well book your ticket outta there! Who do you think they would keep if Durant made complaints? No contest, WB would be out of there like Road Runner *meep meep*!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)