Author Topic: Are we showcasing Sully?  (Read 7926 times)

Re: Are we showcasing Sully?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
"showcasing" a rookie the first (and only) 3 games of the season and his career.....u got to be kidding me

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »

Offline QuickT

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Have to say that I've come to an early conclusion on Sullinger.  This guy will not be an impact player, regardless of his ability to "old school rebound."  He simply does not have NBA athleticism.  His feet are so [dang] slow.  It's sad.  I would seriously rather give Melo the time despite his total inexperience.  The investment has so much more potential.

Jeff Green -- A guy who realizes that it would be better to be aggressive and then tries to be so.  Unfortunately that does not equal a guy who is actually aggressive.  That said, I'll hope he breaks through and just keep hoping until he leaves town.

Jason Terry -- Not sure.

KG -- Another year older.

Pierce -- Another year older. 

Darko -- Um, try putting him in the game for the love of God.  Can someone please protect the rim around here?

Barbosa -- Our actual big off-season pickup happened at the last minute for the vet minimum.

This is the annual "I watched the first 3 celtics games and my hair is on fire" nonsense. Here we go!

Sullinger is a rookie. He will work on footwork and get his NBA legs soon enough. If he doesn't then he was the 21st pick. We didn't exactly give up Anthony Davis for him.

Jeff Green is 3 games back from serious heart surgery. Yeah I know he looked good preseason. So did Adam Morrison. Green will either find his way or he'll be an overpaid role player. Most teams have them. I only hope he can work on his defense for the playoffs.

Terry has always been streaky. He averaged 13 shots per game and 32 minutes in Dallas last season. He's getting 10 less minutes here and taking half the shots. Rhythm is a big part of shooting and 7 shots and 20 minutes is tough for the previous 2nd offense option. Give him a few weeks to get a groove with his new role. He's the 4th all-time 3-point maker in NBA history. He will be okay.

KG is fine. Anyone who thinks he's lost it is in for a rude awakening. He just needs to stay healthy. I'd consider playing him sub-20 minutes a game. Regular season is only for making playoffs.

Pierce has looked better in the first 3 games than he did in either of the last 2 seasons. Keep him fresh and he's a top-5 SF...believe it.

Do we really not trust Doc as a coach? Do you think if Darko was playing well in practice and was healthy that he wouldn't be in the games? Doc is one of the best coaches in the NBA. If we had a competent backup center I'm sure he'd see time.

You think Barbosa was a bigger pickup than Courtney Lee or Jason Terry? I was excited when he put up 16 too but...please come back to reality.

Let's not emulate the Lakers fans or any Philly sports team fans...or some unwatchable Steven A. Smith rant. The Celtics are figuring out the best way to play with our new roster. I've said this before, we replaced everyone outside of the starting 5 (and the heart surgery duo) in the off season. That is abnormal and the adjustments should be expected.

Hey man, I'm having fun with a little "hair on fire" talk.  Why not?  I don't think there's a way to wish away Sully's lack of quickness/speed, and the playoffs are where that will really matter.  He gets absolutely swallowed up in the paint on offense when it's man time.  Solid?  Yes.  Smart?  Yes.  Solution?  No, the opposite.

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is Sully's quickness, speed or athleticism really any different than that of Glen Davis?

Davis is averaging 25.5/9 right now.

Maybe Sully just needs some time to develop and get his body into long term NBA shape.

I doubt he is being showcased. Makes zero sense.

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is Sully's quickness, speed or athleticism really any different than that of Glen Davis?

Maybe Sully just needs some time to develop and get his body into long term NBA shape.

I do think Davis might have slightly quicker feet, but overall, its similar.  And Sully brings things to the table Davis doesn't.

I think if you are expecting Sully to come in, and be the second coming of KG, you are going to be disappointed.  It is probably shooting too high to expect him to be Carlos Boozer.  But, he can be, and already probably is, a quality NBA rotation player, and likely can grow from that. 

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
'likely'. At 20 yo with 3 games experience, theres no likely about it. Jeeze. As far as the comp to bbd, davis has quicker feet but less vert jumping and length. Sully should be a better 5 but probably worse 4 given slow feet on d.

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I do think Davis might have slightly quicker feet, but overall, its similar.  And Sully brings things to the table Davis doesn't.

I think if you are expecting Sully to come in, and be the second coming of KG, you are going to be disappointed.  It is probably shooting too high to expect him to be Carlos Boozer.  But, he can be, and already probably is, a quality NBA rotation player, and likely can grow from that.
I agree. I think Sully's true potential won't be reached for a few years. he just needs time to get in the best shape possible, learn the NBA game and grow as a player.

I don't think he is currently better than Brandon Bass but long term he has the potential to be a vastly superior player than Bass and have starter quality type potential.

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Sully is a late 1st round pick... he is what he is.  This shouldn't surprise anyone.  He's a good role player long-term.  Or maybe if we can fool some team into giving up an all-star level player (Josh Smith) for Sully, Bradley, contract filler and multiple 1st rounders... we should take it.

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Right now Sullinger is the most productive big after KG overall. Bass may score a little more and understand the defense, but Sullinger gives us rebounding we really lack otherwise.

When Sullinger gets our defensive rotations down he will an even bigger force. It will take an offer of an All Star level big to pry away Sullinger.

Aint gonna happen IMHO.

Not! The only thing Sully does better than Bass is rebound. People are truly understating Bass and it's sad. Bass can defend and has gotten better, I wouldn't trust Sully to defend a chair w/o KG (that's the only reason I'd start Sully). Let's take the NYK game in the preseason, a game where all game long Sully was being P&R to death (by some guy I can't remember his name at this moment), I mean the guy looked like DH out there on Sully... Doc FINALLY puts Melo in at the end and he shut the guy down (I don't think he scored another basket when Melo was in... he did get like 2 fts I think). Now, Melo doesn't know the defense any better than Sully does (in fact I would say he probably knows less than Sully b/c of Sully's high bball IQ)... yet he came in after never really seeing any minutes and put a halt to a monster evening by that dude! That's just one example but it happens a lot b/c Sully looks like he can't move to the rolling man b/c he is so slow and it seems his reaction (or recognition) time is too slow... that's hard to believe with how well he reacts to grab rebounds but it sure looks as though that's his problem.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Have to say that I've come to an early conclusion on Sullinger.  This guy will not be an impact player, regardless of his ability to "old school rebound."  He simply does not have NBA athleticism.  His feet are so [dang] slow.  It's sad. minute for the vet minimum.

Really?

Here is a quote from the latest NBA Power Rankings:

"New bench, same old issues. The Celtics have allowed 99 points per 100 possessions with Kevin Garnett on the floor (86 minutes) and 116 with him on the bench (58 minutes). Starting Jared Sullinger for Brandon Bass on Saturday in Washington sure seemed to help, as Boston allowed the Wiz to score just a single bucket in the first eight minutes. We'll see if that's a permanent change."

I actually agree.  As much as people hate on Sully for his defense, while he was in that game in the first quarter I thought he actually did a pretty good job of contesting every single shot his opponent put up.  He's slow when he gets caught on the perimeter, but when he is defending on the ball I think he's actually done a MUCH better job at contesting shots then Bass has so far. 

As I said it all changes when he has to defend a pick-and-roll or a quicker guy, but so far this season Bass has sucked at that anyway.

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »

Offline QuickT

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Yep, Really.  It wouldn't take a lot to impress me right now given the way they're playing, but he's not showing much and his physical limitations are making those "other" GMs look smart after all.  I don't buy into the myth that he'll get better over time.

Hope I'm wrong.  -qt

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

Offline QuickT

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Yep, Really.  It wouldn't take a lot to impress me right now given the way they're playing, but he's not showing much and his physical limitations are making those "other" GMs look smart after all.  I don't buy into the myth that he'll get better over time.

Hope I'm wrong.  -qt

Good God -- I'm a "Jason Collins"  Shoot me now.

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
When Doc refuses to play our garbage rookies... ya'll say "Doc hates playing young players"... but when Doc starts our late 1st rounder 3 games into the season... it's because we're showcasing him. 

Hah.  I think Sully is alright.  Neither he or Bass is a starting big man... they just happen to be our best bigs by default.  I think in a way, they are both being showcased, though.  This team desperately needs an upgrade at big.  Maybe that's why we aren't seeing much playing time for Darko at the moment. 

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

Offline Rickretro

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Have to say that I've come to an early conclusion on Sullinger.  This guy will not be an impact player, regardless of his ability to "old school rebound."  He simply does not have NBA athleticism.  His feet are so [dang] slow.  It's sad.  I would seriously rather give Melo the time despite his total inexperience.  The investment has so much more potential.

Agree completely.  That sums up what I thought of him prior to the draft and why I wailed in horror as we selected him. His time here will be short is my prediction.

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Agree completely.  That sums up what I thought of him prior to the draft and why I wailed in horror as we selected him. His time here will be short is my prediction.

I remember everyone saying that about Kevin Love too. After five games you know absolutely nothing about a player. Lol how many people were ready to bail on Avery after five games?

This guy needs at least three years before he is written off based on what I have seen. He has a great nose for the ball and touch around the rim. He just needs to work on his body and his jumper.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14