Author Topic: Jeff Green Just won't get major minutes.  (Read 7689 times)

Re: Jeff Green Just won't get major minutes.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I would like to see Doc try to -- reduce Courtney Lee's minutes (around 30 per game last two) in order to get Jeff Green more minutes on the wing.

Play Green (SF) alongside Paul Pierce (SG) + Jeff Green (SF). Get each one of them more mid-post and low-post action. Need floor spacing from the bigs.

Also, it could be a good go-to option for the Celtics while Rondo rests with Terry at PG given the decrease in playmaking at that PG position then. Take some pressure off of Terry as the lead guard. Run the offense through Pierce and Green in the post.

I actually want this to be the starting lineup with Sully, kg, and Rondo. If they are going to do some modified 555 plan for Pierce as threatened, then sub in Lee for Pierce early and then bring Pierce back to give Jeff a rest with a minute or two left in the first.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I was encouraged by Jeff Green's play in the game last night. He was more assertive than he was in the first two games. I think his defense will be just fine but I am concerned that he not fall in love with the jump shot. I want 50-50 jumpers and driving/post play.

He could also step up his rebounding for the second unit when he is playing as a 'big'.

I think overall he will earn 25+ mpg this season.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline Professor of Rondology

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 19
I would like to see Doc try to -- reduce Courtney Lee's minutes (around 30 per game last two) in order to get Jeff Green more minutes on the wing.

Play Green (SF) alongside Paul Pierce (SG) + Jeff Green (SF). Get each one of them more mid-post and low-post action. Need floor spacing from the bigs.

Also, it could be a good go-to option for the Celtics while Rondo rests with Terry at PG given the decrease in playmaking at that PG position then. Take some pressure off of Terry as the lead guard. Run the offense through Pierce and Green in the post.

I would love to see this.  My one hesitation- is Pierce quick enough to stay in front of 2s on D?  Depending on the matchup, I'm not sure that he can.  And, since our D has been miserable, I think Doc needs to focus on figuring that out ASAP. The offense will come along (we have too many gifted players for it not to), but building an elite defense takes a lot of work.  IMO, Doc should focus solely on the defensive side of the ball (I don't mean literally ignore the offense entirely, but the vast majority of his adjustments should be made with the D in mind) until we start playing some real Celtics defense.

The Celtics are only a contender if their defense is ELITE.  If their defense is merely 'good' or even 'great' I don't think they're scaring anybody.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
No one is going to get major minutes we have too much depth. Amazing to see Sullinger take so many minutes away from Bass and Green. I guess thats what happens when you can box out and get a few rebounds.
It's not that we have too much depth it's just that our players 5-15 are too mediocre for anyone to stand out.  Jeff's our 4th best player, but his position is firmly taken by Pierce.

Yes, I second the mediocre position. Someone(s) will have to break away with talent to make an impact this season. Our so called bench got killed last by Washington's bench. This will kill our starters.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

Offline Professor of Rondology

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 19
No one is going to get major minutes we have too much depth. Amazing to see Sullinger take so many minutes away from Bass and Green. I guess thats what happens when you can box out and get a few rebounds.
It's not that we have too much depth it's just that our players 5-15 are too mediocre for anyone to stand out.  Jeff's our 4th best player, but his position is firmly taken by Pierce.

Yes, I second the mediocre position. Someone(s) will have to break away with talent to make an impact this season. Our so called bench got killed last by Washington's bench. This will kill our starters.

Our 5-15 guys are considerably above average. They are certainly not mediocre.  If you want to say that we need a 4th all-star caliber player that's fine (I happen to disagree, but it's certainly a valid point), but 5-15 we are better than almost any other team in the league.

Playing horribly against a horrible team is classic Celtics. Just because Kevin Seraphin outplayed Kevin Garnett doesn't mean he is better than KG.  Our bench IS the best in the league, even if it's playing poorly.   

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Our bench IS the best in the league, even if it's playing poorly.

The Celtics bench is good on paper, but so far has been sub par.  They should come around.  However, I think the Clips actually have a better and deeper bench, especially if they stay with Willie Green starting:

Jamaal Crawford
Lamar Odom
Eric Bledsoe
Matt Barnes
Chauncey Billups
Grant Hill
Rony Turiaf
Ryan Hollins

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I echo the sentiment that he needs to see more time alongside Pierce on the wing. 

Either that or we need to trade one of Bass/Sully for a defensive 5 that Doc can trust and get Jeff some more time at the 4.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I echo the sentiment that he needs to see more time alongside Pierce on the wing. 

Either that or we need to trade one of Bass/Sully for a defensive 5 that Doc can trust and get Jeff some more time at the 4.

Gotta give a TP for agreeing with both of these points. My favorite line up in the Wizards game was Rondo, Pierce, Green, Sully/Bass, KG. This gives us our best lineup on the floor in my eyes, at least offensively, and also gives Green more minutes which he is struggling to find. 15 to 16 minutes a game arent going to be enough for Green to make a difference. Especially when hes playing well. He was having a good 4th quarter and Doc, as usual with players playing well, benched him.

Also, Sully and Bass seem to be both equally effective in different ways. With Sully younger, and better at rebounding it wouldnt hurt loosing another extra outside shooter in bass we have waaaay too much shooting as is. If we could package Bass and Bradley with picks for a Gortat I would be more than excited.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think there are likely ways to get Green more minutes.  But without even getting into that, Green was acquired because of Miami.  Danny knows that the road goes through Miami and for us to win, we need someone who can matchup with their flex linueps.  Green can really help in that department. 

So even if he only averages 20 mpg  in the regular season, if he can put up 35 mpg against Miami and help us knock them off, he's worth it. 

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
good he's bad

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25

I really want to see him play 35 minutes a game right now at Small Forward, but he won't because... Oh yeah we have one of the best S.F. of all time.

Should have traded Perk for a starting 4 or 5. Trading your starting Center from a title winning team for a back up three is just plain dumb.

We got Jeff Green by default, not by choice lol. It's not that simple.

you should stop posting things

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
For the millionth time (and I'm going to keep saying this until people get it into their heads) Kendrick Perkins never, ever, had any intention at any point in time to resign with Boston.

Perkins wanted more money than we were able to offer him - the only way he was going to get that money would be to go elsewhere.  If we didnt make the trade, we basically would have rented him for about 20 games and then he would have walked.

We would have gotten nothing in return.

Perkins was a zero factor in that trade - you can pretty much pretend he was never a part of it, because be practically wasn't.  We basically traded Nate Robinson for Nenad Kristic, Jeff Green and Fab Melo.  If you get a chance to do that trade will you say no?  Exactly.

This is an excellent point. TP 4 u.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

I really want to see him play 35 minutes a game right now at Small Forward, but he won't because... Oh yeah we have one of the best S.F. of all time.

Should have traded Perk for a starting 4 or 5. Trading your starting Center from a title winning team for a back up three is just plain dumb.

We got Jeff Green by default, not by choice lol. It's not that simple.
The funny thing is, DA asked for harden in the trade.  Can you imagine?

I have imagined, all too much. We'd be 2-3x champs in the Big 3 era.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
For the millionth time (and I'm going to keep saying this until people get it into their heads) Kendrick Perkins never, ever, had any intention at any point in time to resign with Boston.

Perkins wanted more money than we were able to offer him - the only way he was going to get that money would be to go elsewhere.  If we didnt make the trade, we basically would have rented him for about 20 games and then he would have walked.

We would have gotten nothing in return.

Perkins was a zero factor in that trade - you can pretty much pretend he was never a part of it, because be practically wasn't.  We basically traded Nate Robinson for Nenad Kristic, Jeff Green and Fab Melo.  If you get a chance to do that trade will you say no?  Exactly.

This is an excellent point. TP 4 u.

While I agree completely with the point, trading Perk completely deflated any chance we had at winning the championship that year. Would I rather have a second ring then Jeff Green? Yes.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Not sure how take this comment. Maybe you think that most #5-#10 players on most teams are more or less mediocre.  Viewed through that lens, you are complimenting the C's for having mediocrity through #15.  But if your point is that the C's talent level is not very good after #4, I would disagree.  Bradley, Terry, Lee, Sully and Bass are all better than average NBA players, IMO.