Author Topic: Jeff Green Just won't get major minutes.  (Read 7693 times)

Jeff Green Just won't get major minutes.
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I really want to see him play 35 minutes a game right now at Small Forward, but he won't because... Oh yeah we have one of the best S.F. of all time.

Should have traded Perk for a starting 4 or 5. Trading your starting Center from a title winning team for a back up three is just plain dumb.

Re: Jeff Green Just won't get major minutes.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

I really want to see him play 35 minutes a game right now at Small Forward, but he won't because... Oh yeah we have one of the best S.F. of all time.

Should have traded Perk for a starting 4 or 5. Trading your starting Center from a title winning team for a back up three is just plain dumb.

We got Jeff Green by default, not by choice lol. It's not that simple.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No one is going to get major minutes we have too much depth. Amazing to see Sullinger take so many minutes away from Bass and Green. I guess thats what happens when you can box out and get a few rebounds.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No one is going to get major minutes we have too much depth. Amazing to see Sullinger take so many minutes away from Bass and Green. I guess thats what happens when you can box out and get a few rebounds.
It's not that we have too much depth it's just that our players 5-15 are too mediocre for anyone to stand out.  Jeff's our 4th best player, but his position is firmly taken by Pierce.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80

Pretty much as expected from some of us. Sullinger was the draft pick with the highest floor in the draft, and as ready to contribute as anybody else. Most people wouldn't listen, because he fell to 21. Already getting starts. Not at all surprising.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would like to see Doc try to -- reduce Courtney Lee's minutes (around 30 per game last two) in order to get Jeff Green more minutes on the wing.

Play Green (SF) alongside Paul Pierce (SG) + Jeff Green (SF). Get each one of them more mid-post and low-post action. Need floor spacing from the bigs.

Also, it could be a good go-to option for the Celtics while Rondo rests with Terry at PG given the decrease in playmaking at that PG position then. Take some pressure off of Terry as the lead guard. Run the offense through Pierce and Green in the post.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

For the millionth time (and I'm going to keep saying this until people get it into their heads) Kendrick Perkins never, ever, had any intention at any point in time to resign with Boston.

Perkins wanted more money than we were able to offer him - the only way he was going to get that money would be to go elsewhere.  If we didnt make the trade, we basically would have rented him for about 20 games and then he would have walked.

We would have gotten nothing in return.

Perkins was a zero factor in that trade - you can pretty much pretend he was never a part of it, because be practically wasn't.  We basically traded Nate Robinson for Nenad Kristic, Jeff Green and Fab Melo.  If you get a chance to do that trade will you say no?  Exactly.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Does that mean that we could not have traded for someone other than green?

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:13:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

We got Jeff Green by default, not by choice lol. It's not that simple.
The funny thing is, DA asked for harden in the trade.  Can you imagine?

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
You name me somebody we could have gotten that would have been a better return than Green and Kristic, assuming Green didn't miss the entire following season (as Danny had no way of predicting that)?

Not also that our center rotation at the time was Shaq, Perk, Jermaine and Semih Erden. 

- Shaq was frequency hurt / out
- Jermaine was frequently hurt / out
- Erden was raw and hurt
- Perkins just came back from a major injury

We needed a healthy centre who would at least play, and we got a starting calibre center (in Kristic) along with Green.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's not that we have too much depth it's just that our players 5-15 are too mediocre for anyone to stand out.  Jeff's our 4th best player, but his position is firmly taken by Pierce.

If he is fourth best we are in some serious trouble.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 03:08:16 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Jeff will get his time. Right now they're easing him in.
He will relax after 5-10 games and it will become more natural. There are spurts of a fringe All Star from the kid and there are also spurts of a frustrating lack of aggression.
He's got too much value invested to not give him the minutes eventually.
Do you think Danny is going to sign a guy for $9 million and not play him 30 minutes a night? Never.
You can pick one of the following two reasons for this...

1) Because you believe he is going to be a beast. (personally I think this is the case)

2)Because you won't be able to get the trade value back if you don't play him 30 minutes and stuff as many stats onto his sheet as possible for other GM's to admire when it comes time to get that All Star in a trade.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:24:47 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 03:17:54 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Once Doc figured out the right rotation and sets, I think he will get big minutes. Maybe 25-20 mins a game playing behind Pierce at the 3 spot.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Green is gonna have to learn to shoot and when his shot is off drive to the bucket for freethrows.

He is too timid IMO , he needs to react instantly .

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:47:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mark my words, I think he will start at the four sometimes before it is over, with Dr. Frankendoc coaching.  Doc loves small ball and I just see him tinkering to see what he has before the season is over.