Author Topic: Terry needs to step up  (Read 5028 times)

Re: Terry needs to step up
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It was laughable to think lee was better then ray...literally laughable. But we thought he would fit right into what Bradley gave us...he hasn't.

It's not really laughable.  He is better than Ray.  At least, he was last season, and he's two years younger. 

Three sub-par games do not make a season.

Agreed. At this stage in their careers, Terry is the better player, as well as the better fit for our team. Terry is a much better ball handler and can create his own shot. He killed the Heat in the finals 2 years ago. Ray's ball handling was awful the last 2 years and getting worse. He needs to be on a team like the heat where other guys can take all the defensive focus and he can sit in the corner and shoot open threes.

Everyone on our team has looked bad in the first 3 games, you can't judge them while they are learning the system and in total dissaray. Jet is a cold blooded killer in big games, he will come up huge for us this year.

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I mean it was stupid of people to try to downplay replacing the greatest shooter ever with a career-bench player.

We replaced Larry Bird with a career bench player?

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I mean it was stupid of people to try to downplay replacing the greatest shooter ever with a career-bench player.

LOL, TP Tim.

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Not sure where Larry Bird fits into that conversation

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Are you implying that Larry Bird's name doesn't belong in the conversation when discussing "the greatest shooter ever"?  If so, I believe many people on here would disagree with that.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If Larry Bird's game revolved solely around hanging on the perimeter and shooting three pointers, he would have practiced that more often and easily had the stats of the greatest shooter ever up there with Ray Allen and others. Jerry West is another great shooter that doesn't get modern day credit because of the differences in the game.

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You said greatest shooter ever.

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I can't stop saying this... you only remember the good days of Ray but had Ray given us ANYTHING in the Mia series we wouldn't even be talking about Ray on that team! The guy was HORRENDOUS, but we had no one else and he was Doc's Binky, b/c no matter how Ray played he was getting his 30 a night!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I can't stop saying this... you only remember the good days of Ray but had Ray given us ANYTHING in the Mia series we wouldn't even be talking about Ray on that team! The guy was HORRENDOUS, but we had no one else and he was Doc's Binky, b/c no matter how Ray played he was getting his 30 a night!
If I remember correctly, AB couldn't play and Ray was playing on bone spurs!!!  He was not "horrendous"...he was injured.  There is a difference!  Ray played BECAUSE there was on one else, and he gave what he had. The way Ray and Doc are mentioned, as if they intentionally gave the series away, is an insult to both. The loss was NOT Ray's fault, and it wasn't Doc's fault.  It was the injuries.  The Celtics actually played above and beyond all possible expectations,  considering what they had to deal with.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Doc is both over playing Pierce and Rondo, and playing too many guys.

Pick 8 guys, go with that, determine 9th man night to night. 10th and on is for emergency and garbage time.

Once you see how that group is playing and they get a rhythm you can try some other lineups out.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Terry is averaging 8 pts and 2 assists off the bench for about 22 minutes

what more do you want from him. Our bench has been scoring in the 20s this season. We haven't had much consistency off our bench in awhile. So chill out

Terry, Barbosa, and Green gave us 20-25 off the bench. That's not bad. Do you want all 3 of them to give us 15 pts each night?

Of course, we could still improve, but we got to be more patient. 8 new players, and only 3 games into the season. Defense and offense will come. No need to freak out. Terry will show up and Lee's defense will catch on.

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If I remember correctly, AB couldn't play and Ray was playing on bone spurs!!!  He was not "horrendous"...he was injured.  There is a difference!  Ray played BECAUSE there was on one else, and he gave what he had. The way Ray and Doc are mentioned, as if they intentionally gave the series away, is an insult to both. The loss was NOT Ray's fault, and it wasn't Doc's fault.  It was the injuries.  The Celtics actually played above and beyond all possible expectations,  considering what they had to deal with.

Doc played Ray the same amount when AB WAS playing! I never said they intentionally gave the series away, that's stupid! They are human, they make mistakes. Yes Ray was injured but you act like he just got injured in the playoffs, he played much better all season than he did in the playoffs... he had the same bone spurs throughout! Give me the injured Ray from the regular season and we win, he almost completely disappeared in the playoffs!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Doc played Ray the same amount when AB WAS playing! I never said they intentionally gave the series away, that's stupid! They are human, they make mistakes. Yes Ray was injured but you act like he just got injured in the playoffs, he played much better all season than he did in the playoffs... he had the same bone spurs throughout! Give me the injured Ray from the regular season and we win, he almost completely disappeared in the playoffs!
OK...I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Doc was not stupid to rely more on a veteran during the playoffs than an unproven young player.  When Doc would have had to rely on AB (as Ray's injury made it harder for him to contribute) AB was already out for the season.  I personally thought Doc handled it correctly.  In the playoffs you generally go with experience, and Doc had already upgraded AB to a starter roll.  Those bone spurs move around and sometimes are more debilitating than other times...Ray had no control over that.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

OK...I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Doc was not stupid to rely more on a veteran during the playoffs than an unproven young player.  When Doc would have had to rely on AB (as Ray's injury made it harder for him to contribute) AB was already out for the season.  I personally thought Doc handled it correctly.  In the playoffs you generally go with experience, and Doc had already upgraded AB to a starter roll.  Those bone spurs move around and sometimes are more debilitating than other times...Ray had no control over that.

Doc doesn't trust his bench enough and that's my main problem with him. We are 3 games into the season and darko collins and wilcox are already riding the bench. If doc won't play guys at the very start of the season to see what they got then when the hell will he play them? He leans too much on pierce rondo and KG even when we have the players for him to NOT have to do that anymore.

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Problem is we go to pot every time KG sits . :(

The WHOLE team needs to play BETTER defense when KG is on the bench. ;)

Until Doc gets the other 14 players PLAYING defense regardless if KG is on the court or not ...Celtics are gonna have a ruff go of it.