Author Topic: No intimidation  (Read 744 times)

No intimidation
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
at all on this years team!

With KG playing limited minutes and Doc's obsession with playing not only small ball, but ultra small ball, teams are just takin' it right to the hole with complete disregard for getting their shots blocked!

Last year we had Steimer! (Man, do I miss that guy!). He would consistantly make players alter their shots, and block more than his share. When he and KG were both out there, and our guards played tight(AB especially), teams struggled to get shots off! Even Ryan Hollins had his moments and could block shots and was quick for his size.
This year we got squat! A whole team of guards, forwards, and undersized PF's (other than KG).
Even our forgotten centers JCollins and Wilcox(also really a PF) are not shot blockers at all.
I still have some hope for Darko, who I don't think of as an intimidating presence, but he does have a bit of a mean streak in him, and does block his fair share of shots! Problem is, you gotta get in the game, and that doesn't fit into small ball!
In all, I think we've got a SERIOUS problem with our D because of this deficiency and I don't see how it gets better without a personnel change or two.

On a separate note---JET will you please just start taking over games instead of trying to be the consumate teammate. I got tired tonight of counting the open shots he kept passing up, and then ended up losing the ball or throwing it away.

Sorry for the long rant, but game tonight was just brutal after anticipating watching all day!  If we start losing tomorrow, gonna have to have the wife hide all the sharp objects in the house, or any that go boom!

Re: No intimidation
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
yeah i agree we are big puttytats so far this year. We need to play darko to get us some nasty.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Stiemsma also gave up potentially  8-10 free shots per game and limited himself to 10-15 minutes because he commited fouls more frequently than Bass shoots jumpshots.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
More flagrant fouls, earlier in the game, to set the tone, please. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Stiemsma also gave up potentially  8-10 free shots per game and limited himself to 10-15 minutes because he commited fouls more frequently than Bass shoots jumpshots.
to be fair, he got a lot of bogus foul calls from the refs.  usually good for 2-3 bad calls a game

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko is more intimidating in his sleep than Stiesmsa in terms of a street fight.   

We have not defended well though I agree.  One has to wonder if Doc was tinkering so much in practice that he didn't get team to install his D and O aat this point.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
On another note re. Steimer.

Last nite in Minny win: 16 min, 9 pts., 7 rbs., "4" blks!!!

Makes the relatively insignificant money he would have taken to sign with us seem pretty silly, right now!

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Completely agree.

First of all Doc has to stop playing small ball. We drafted big and got more big, I don't get why he's not using them. Also get some "mean" on. How about some toughness in the lane huh?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace