Author Topic: Thank God Danny stacked the roster with bigs  (Read 4687 times)

Re: Thank God Danny stacked the roster with bigs
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
I might be crazy, but Jeff Green is a 3, not a 4.
He's always been a 3.

I've been saying for a couple months now that this roster doesn't make any sense to me.  Our best big is a 37 year old PF (granted, he carried us late last year)... after that it's Bass and Sully and they are both undersized bench bigs.  Then we have 4 mediocre shooting guards splitting 52 minutes in the playoffs... and we're paying starting money for a SF to come off the bench (jeff green).    I didn't see how the pieces fit... after two games I still don't see how the pieces fit.

They don't fit but watch the Celts try to put the square peg in a round hole. Been going on for decades now. I think Doc actually has it down.

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Man, you guys are hilarious.  Stop trying to find scapegoats for a couple of losses and enjoy how this team gets better and better.  Every team loses.  LA, Miami, OKC.  Only San Antonio has the talent, coaching, chemistry AND continuity to win all the time and even they barely won their games.  This team has to learn that nothing comes easy and there is no time like the present.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
Meanwhile, Tom Thibodeau Rose-less Bulls are undefeated 2-0.

Celts should have fired Rivers and kept Thib at the head. The Engineer of the Celtic Defense that went South when he left.

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Oh nooos, an 0-2 start!  We're Doooooommmmedd!!  DOOMED I Tells you!

Overreact much?  ;)

Celts should have fired Rivers and kept Thib at the head. The Engineer of the Celtic Defense that went South when he left.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
im so tired of people wanting a big hulking center. this isnt 2007 anymore. all contenders utilize a power forward playing center now.

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is not a roster issue, but a coaching issue.
It's a roster issue.  It's been a roster issue since Shaq hobbled off the court in his final game.  We don't have a center.  It's a problem.  KG proved capable of taking on that role last year.  He turned it on in February, turned back the clock into an automatic 20/10 guy... and took us deep into the playoffs.  We can't rely on him to do that all the time, though.  He's gotta save it for the playoffs.  So we're in the same situation during the early part of of last season... a deeply flawed roster.

There's no reason why Doc can't play Wilcox and Darko together with KG, instead of going the Doc Extra Small Special.

I mean, Doc's first guy off the bench is Green for KG... so we have Bass and Green as our bigs on the floor, that's not going to turn out well.

When Green comes in, it should be to either sub for Bass, sub for Lee, or Sub for Pierce. We stay big, learn to exploit our advantages and we'll be good.

We don't have much size at the SG position to get away with going small with our bigs.

Darko and WIlcox are both benchwarmers.  We only have one starter-caliber big man and he's 37 years old.  This roster is flawed.

LOL.

Not that I dont agree with you somewhat but is there any year that you dont think the Celtics roster is deeply flawed?

Not having more than one starting caliber big man isnt a prerequisite for a championship anymore.

They just have to get back to last years defensive performance and there is no reason they cannot do that in my opinion.

Sure, when you have LBJ.  Even Durant has two decent starting bigs.

How you gonna compete against that with just KG?  Doesn't work.

I would consider starting either Darko or Wilcox, or at the very least playing one of them with Bass/Sully/Green.  When these three play together I can literally feel my blood pressure rise.

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

That's simply not true.  We have remained a top defensive team without coach Thibs over the last couple of years. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing an inherently flawed roster, I'm seeing a team that is playing terrible team defense, specifically against the pick and role. This is shocking to me because that has been the C's bread and butter for 5 years now. 

I will agree that the early Green for KG sub is hurting their weakside rotation.  But IMO the bigger problem is they are getting killed up top on the pick and role, which is then exposing the lack of interior height rotating to cover the basket. 

They've also been terrible in their general defensive awareness. When they do make the rotations, their spacing has been pretty poor and they are giving up too many passing lanes. 

Bottom line, I think this is more a product of execution than it is roster.  Sure I'd like to see the C's have an athletic big who can rebound, shot block and not be a black hole on the offensive side, but so would every other team in the NBA.

TP. Nothing to add to your analysis.

Let them play, they'll get it together. Doc and his crew are great coaches, and we have some of the best players in the league. 2 more weeks and you'll see a completely different team defense, celtic style.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
They are big, but are they headed for the lumber yard?