Author Topic: Thank God Danny stacked the roster with bigs  (Read 4676 times)

Re: Thank God Danny stacked the roster with bigs
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:18 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Bass isnt a great defender. Sully is a rookie and has bad NBA level defence (at this point in time) put them together and you have a situation where points are scored in the paint which is what happened tonight.

Didnt help that it was harder to buy a bucket then a winning lotto ticket tonight and also that jennings was dynamite (i dont care what you say those floaters were garbage) but the defence has to improve. The scoring will come, we have the personal to do so.

Early days in what is a long season give it a week or so and we will start seeing better games and better defence.

Also agree with anyone, small ball isnt working for us

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is not a roster issue, but a coaching issue.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's a roster issue.  It's been a roster issue since Shaq hobbled off the court in his final game.  We don't have a center.  It's a problem.  KG proved capable of taking on that role last year.  He turned it on in February, turned back the clock into an automatic 20/10 guy... and took us deep into the playoffs.  We can't rely on him to do that all the time, though.  He's gotta save it for the playoffs.  So we're in the same situation during the early part of of last season... a deeply flawed roster.

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:37:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's a roster issue.  It's been a roster issue since Shaq hobbled off the court in his final game.  We don't have a center.  It's a problem.  KG proved capable of taking on that role last year.  He turned it on in February, turned back the clock into an automatic 20/10 guy... and took us deep into the playoffs.  We can't rely on him to do that all the time, though.  He's gotta save it for the playoffs.  So we're in the same situation during the early part of of last season... a deeply flawed roster.

There's no reason why Doc can't play Wilcox and Darko together with KG, instead of going the Doc Extra Small Special.

I mean, Doc's first guy off the bench is Green for KG... so we have Bass and Green as our bigs on the floor, that's not going to turn out well.

When Green comes in, it should be to either sub for Bass, sub for Lee, or Sub for Pierce. We stay big, learn to exploit our advantages and we'll be good.

We don't have much size at the SG position to get away with going small with our bigs.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

There's no reason why Doc can't play Wilcox and Darko together with KG, instead of going the Doc Extra Small Special.

I mean, Doc's first guy off the bench is Green for KG... so we have Bass and Green as our bigs on the floor, that's not going to turn out well.

When Green comes in, it should be to either sub for Bass, sub for Lee, or Sub for Pierce. We stay big, learn to exploit our advantages and we'll be good.

We don't have much size at the SG position to get away with going small with our bigs.

Darko and WIlcox are both benchwarmers.  We only have one starter-caliber big man and he's 37 years old.  This roster is flawed.

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is a problem though leaguewide, aside from LA whom I might add has a losing record teams with two good bigs are rare.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
As soon as Bass or Sullinger is placed at center, it is a layup fest for the other team. Yeah, we might score a few point too, but we give up as many or more usually.

I've been saying it for years, on here, that Doc loves small ball. At times, for a few minutes, here and there, it can be very effective. But it has become the staple of how the Celtics play.

Doc would argue, best 5 guys. I think in the NBA, especially at the 1 or the 5 spot, that arguement makes no sense unless you got Lebron on your team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yup ..this is why Lopezs ,Gasols , HIlbert , ASik , and all the rest of the non star but very good centers are making ALstar caliber money. Unless you have LBJ who plays like a 7 ' 6"  guard. human freak your not gonna compete .

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
It's not just the lack of size.

It's the lack of rotations and obviously the perimeter defense has been terrible.

Our guards can't get beat and gamble on steals once they get blown by (aka. Rondo).

Lee is suppose to be a solid defender and I just haven't seen it.

This team misses Bradley.

And we have a lot of new players so the defense is going to look pretty weak until we get more practice time together.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I have no idea who the guy coaching this team is.  It's not the defense preacher echoing Thibs a few years ago.

Sully's defense pretty much stinks.  It seems clear they're committed to developing him by playing him, and we're going to pay for that for a while.  I really don't think playing him at C next to Bass is the right move, though.  Seems pretty dumb to me.

Darko seems like a better choice for some 5 minutes.  Heck, Wilcox and even Collins, too.

I'm okay with going small at PF, but we need a legit pivot player that can patrol the  paint.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Darko and WIlcox are both benchwarmers.  We only have one starter-caliber big man and he's 37 years old.  This roster is flawed.

LOL.

Not that I dont agree with you somewhat but is there any year that you dont think the Celtics roster is deeply flawed?

Not having more than one starting caliber big man isnt a prerequisite for a championship anymore.

They just have to get back to last years defensive performance and there is no reason they cannot do that in my opinion.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I still don't understand why Doc doesn't wanna use our bigs and continue to play small ball.

Darko, hate him or not, is a shot blocking prescence. There will be less easy layups if he's there. Wilcox is high energy and defensive minded too. Love Bass and Sully, but they can't be our Centers, unless you pull their feet and stretch them to make the both guys 6'11".

We should also keep Green at the 3. He's a matchup nightmare for other 3's and as soon as he gets his confidence back, he'll be hard to deal with. But he seems lost playing the 4, Doc should not put him as a PF, even if it means cutting a little bit of Paul's PT.

C'mon now Doc, Danny provided you with bigs, use them.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing an inherently flawed roster, I'm seeing a team that is playing terrible team defense, specifically against the pick and role. This is shocking to me because that has been the C's bread and butter for 5 years now. 

I will agree that the early Green for KG sub is hurting their weakside rotation.  But IMO the bigger problem is they are getting killed up top on the pick and role, which is then exposing the lack of interior height rotating to cover the basket. 

They've also been terrible in their general defensive awareness. When they do make the rotations, their spacing has been pretty poor and they are giving up too many passing lanes. 

Bottom line, I think this is more a product of execution than it is roster.  Sure I'd like to see the C's have an athletic big who can rebound, shot block and not be a black hole on the offensive side, but so would every other team in the NBA. 

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Something will have to happen with this roster or choices with coaching the personnel:

1) Just play Fab Melo...  Yeah, he'll make a lot of mistakes, BUT he's a weak-side defensive presence, and this team has NO ONE who can do this.  The Celtics may have no choice but to play Fab because only he can alter shots as a back-side defender.

2) Never dreamed I'd say this, but I'd much rather have Ryan Hollins on this team than Darko.  Darko simply does not fit the concepts this team implements.  No, Hollins is not a great player, but he's ACTIVE on the defensive end, and this team really misses him.

I may have over-estimated this team...  They just don't look that good to me right now.  Defensively they're atrocious.  Milwaukee DOMINATED that game last night, and they had a plan and stuck with it.  The Celtics may have to outSCORE teams to win...

Ask Pops in San Antonio about how to adjust your coaching style with the personnel you have...

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Don't blame it all on small ball.  Blame it on cohesion. 

First, this team has routinely played with smaller lineups that included James Posey and Mikael Pietrus.  If they could be successful with it then, it's certainly not small ball's fault they are losing now. 

Second, it's not like Brandon Bass is much of a power forward.  He's undersized and doesn't particularly rebound well.  He also offers no shot blocking.  So let's not pretend that when we go to Jeff Green at the 4, we're losing a lot of "big man" skills. 

I think the biggest problem is defensive rotations and figuring out how to distribute shots. 

The latter problem was always a problem in the Big Three era, but it was mostly limited to how to divvy things up amongst Paul, KG, and Ray.  Now it's how do we divvy up shots amongst PP, KG, Rondo, Terry, Green, Lee, Barbosa, Bass, and Sully. 

I don't think it's a matter of selfishness; in fact, it might be the opposite.  It seems like everyone (minus Barbosa and Pierce in the Miami game) seemed to defer to much. 

But this can be resolved.