Author Topic: Anyone Interested in Amare.  (Read 8049 times)

Re: Anyone Interested in Amare.
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's too bad that Amare has such an unmovable contract, because I'd like to see him get traded SOMEWHERE.

The Knicks, both last year and to start this year, are very clearly better with Melo at the 4 and Tyson at the 5.  If Amare were healthy and his contract were not an albatross, it would be interesting to see the Knicks trade him to a team with some extra wing players but a hole at PF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree we need a backup SF, that is why I included Brewer in the deal because he's a defensive minded, athletic SF who can start in a pinch. I'd want to sign Pietrus back too if we sent both Lee and Green packing.

The SF of the future argument is an interesting one. I don't personally think we have that right now so I'm not afraid of losing it in the same way some people are. I don't think Green has shown enough to even be mentioned as the heir to Pierce but we'll see. I do think that when PP's contract is up so is the contract of 6 very good SFs. James and Carmello have ETOs and Gay has a player option (which he'll pickup).

I don't think we really need a SF to be Pierce's successor - as in a guy who can do the type of things Pierce can and have the same kind of impact. 

We do need a player who can be the successor to Pierce, but it doesn't need to be a SF.  Personally, I think Amare (if he managed to stay healthy) could be Pierce's successor in that he could be the #1 scoring option who we could run our offense through and depend on to give us big numbers every night on offense.

If that happened then Green wouldn't need to become an elite SF, we'd only need him to take over for KG as a 2nd or 3rd scoring option (good for about 14 PPG to 17 PPG) and I think Green is very capable of that.  Corey Brewer on the other hand...not so much.

I visualise the below as a very strong future lineup with a good ballance between offense and defense:

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sullinger (once he develops)
Amare

I visualise the following as a mediocre future lineup with a severe lack of offense:

Rondo
Bradley
Brewer
Sullinger
Amare

I think Green's potential offensively makes all the difference in that lineup. 

Injury risk.  When an insurance company won't back your contract, you know it's real.

Also, going back to the structure of the Celtics make-up..I don't think he would fit.  He's a guy who needs to be the center of attention.  He isn't like KG...this is my opinion.

I don't think this is necessarilly a bad thing for the Boston team we have right now.  We have a group of guys who are all, for the most part, secondary players.  Pierce, Terry and KG are the closest things we have to a primary scorer, and at this point in their careers neither of those guys probably all more effective player off another guy.

I think it would actually benefit us to have a dominant, relatively young player who we could run the offense through and depend on to put the team on his back. 

I think if we had a guy like that with Rondo running the offense, it would make guys like Pierce, KG, Terry and Green all the more deadly because a player of Amare's calibre would demand constant double teams. 

Right now there is really nobody outside of Pierce (KG with certain matchups) who can draw that type of attention from the defense.

I certainly would NOT want two guys like this on the team (like NY have with Carmello and Amare) because then you end up with an ego-fight from two guys who can only play with the ball in their hand.  To have one guy like that though is something that I think every team needs to be really dominant.

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Sure. If he is healthy and playing like he is capable of playing.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 02:01:58 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Agreed, and even then you still have nightmares thinking about 'that' contract...

Still if the option SOMEHOW came up I'd definately consider it.

Problem is that I think we can only use an Amnesty on a player that was already on our team before the clause was intruduced (i.e. Rondo, Pierce or KG) so I don't think we could use it as a bail-out option if he didn't work out.

If we did have that option, then I'd definately take a chance on it.

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That 2005 Suns team was always a blast to watch.

And that buzzer beater 3 that wasn't against us a couple seasons ago was pretty phenomenal.

But he's always injured, and his odometer is only going up.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have not interest in a coach with bad springs why would I want a player with bad knees.  Amare= DAMAGED GOODS!

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Trade Collins for him.  His body can't cash the checks his brain writes during a game.  He needs a new bionic body.

His "SPRING" , first step and verticle are no where to be found today.  Although he can still hit the short jumpers , but we have Bass for that.

NBA has been ruff on him.

IMO , he may HURT the Knicks more than help...he is so slow.

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Agreed, and even then you still have nightmares thinking about 'that' contract...

Still if the option SOMEHOW came up I'd definately consider it.

Problem is that I think we can only use an Amnesty on a player that was already on our team before the clause was intruduced (i.e. Rondo, Pierce or KG) so I don't think we could use it as a bail-out option if he didn't work out.

If we did have that option, then I'd definately take a chance on it.

Actually it's only Rondo, Pierce and Bradley. KG signed a contract under the new CBA and that can't be amnestied.
Amar'e should be bought out of his current contract before I would consider him. And his new contract should have a large nonguaranteed part. Like if he only played half of the games, he would be paid half the money.

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I love Amare. But when Danny called him he broke his wrist and gave himself a concussion trying to answer the phone. He'll miss 14-16 weeks.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I kind of like an Amare and Brewer for Bass, Green, Lee trade.  That is a type of risk I think this team needs as an even remotely healthy Amare could be a real difference maker in the playoffs.

Starters - Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Amare, KG
Rotation - Barbosa, Terry, Brewer, Sullinger, Wilcox

That team is a team that is a lot more likely to win a title than the one Boston currently has.  Amare is also signed for less years than Green and Lee, so Boston goes back into free agency contention a year earlier (which is when Rondo, KG, Bradley, Terry all come of the books (pierce is off the books a year before that).  Gives Boston a chance at actually re-signing Rondo and bringing in a star (or keeping Amare if it works out).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I kind of like an Amare and Brewer for Bass, Green, Lee trade.  That is a type of risk I think this team needs as an even remotely healthy Amare could be a real difference maker in the playoffs.

That team is a team that is a lot more likely to win a title than the one Boston currently has.  Amare is also signed for less years than Green and Lee, so Boston goes back into free agency contention a year earlier (which is when Rondo, KG, Bradley, Terry all come of the books (pierce is off the books a year before that).  Gives Boston a chance at actually re-signing Rondo and bringing in a star (or keeping Amare if it works out).

That would be very tempting. I'd take that risk too if Amare looks healthy enough.

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I would definitely be interested in this deal IF Amare shows he is back to his old self. I always thought Kg was the most complimentary big to Amare in the entire NBA.

I don't see NY trading him to us unless we are the only team willing to take on his deal. I think we could look at bringing back Pietrus if this deal happened.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I would definitely be interested in this deal IF Amare shows he is back to his old self. I always thought Kg was the most complimentary big to Amare in the entire NBA.

I don't see NY trading him to us unless we are the only team willing to take on his deal. I think we could look at bringing back Pietrus if this deal happened.
I think New York would love to dump Amar'e to almost anyone, as long as they got a rotation caliber body or two back.

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think New York would love to dump Amar'e to almost anyone, as long as they got a rotation caliber body or two back.
Yeah.  I don't see why New York wouldn't be interested in that trade.  It gives them 3 solid rotation (if not starting players) and adds a great deal to their depth.  Plus it gets them out from under Amare who seems to be the odd man out anyway. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah.  I don't see why New York wouldn't be interested in that trade.  It gives them 3 solid rotation (if not starting players) and adds a great deal to their depth.  Plus it gets them out from under Amare who seems to be the odd man out anyway.
Honestly unless Amar'e comes back super healthy I think the C's could offer less talent than even the trade you proposed. Though salarywise I think all three would be necessary for it to work.