Author Topic: Anyone Interested in Amare.  (Read 8035 times)

Re: Anyone Interested in Amare.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Carmelo=poor mans Paul Pierce that eats too many cheeseburgers and plays way worse defense.

I like that one, TP for you  ;D

As a side note, whenever I read about "Melo" I get excited for a split second before I realize we are talking about the center on the Cs not the SF from the Knicks....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
city of boston fire code clearly states that a building should have a working fire extinguisher/case so i'll pass with amare.lol

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Pray he gets amnestied, which at this rate, could be very quickly.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Amare only started to get injured around the time Melo got there...coincidence? I think he is upset that he was originally the "savor" or the man of NY, now he has to hand that over to Melo

But too bad, I don't think we can get him

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Knicks already used their amnesty provision.

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not sure that we could get him even if he was amnestied.

If I recall, there is a bidding process and he automatically goes to the highest bidder, and what you can bid is dictated by your cap space (I think).

If we had to trade for him, it would have to include Green and Bass and filler.

Also, would he be insureable given his past injury history, microfracture surgery, etc.?

On the other hand a healthy Amare would be huge. Also a huge risk.

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
Salary-wise, Green + Bass + Lee for Stoudemire + Brewer should work.

Would allow the C's to keep the promising youngsters (Sully and Bradley) who they'd probably have to give up to get Josh Smith. But Stoudemire is such a health risk. And not that young anymore either. We'd instantly be a much better offensive team but still lack rebounding. And Amare's not known for his defense.

Still, Amare and KG up front, with Pierce, Bradley and Rondo on the perimeter would be pretty awesome. (Imagine Rondo with a healthy Amare - it would be sick.) And I'm sure NY would gladly shed themselves of Amare's contract for any reasonable offer.

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
All the amnesty talk can stop. NYK used their amnesty on Chauncy Billups so that they could sign Tyson Chandler.

The other thing that is bothering me is people saying Stoudemire is done. Are you guys kidding? When he was in NY before Carmello landed there he was averaging 26pts 9 rbs and 2 blks (and a steal) per 36. I know that was a close to 2 years ago but it's not like he's not still capable of those kinds of numbers.

Downside is that Pierce probably only has two seasons left in him, and we need a backup SF who is not only good enough to back up Pierce, but also good enough to take his place in the starting lineup once he moves on.  Green fills that role perfectly, so we really need to hold on to him...yet we'd probably need his contact going out in order to make the deal happen.

I agree we need a backup SF, that is why I included Brewer in the deal because he's a defensive minded, athletic SF who can start in a pinch. I'd want to sign Pietrus back too if we sent both Lee and Green packing.

The SF of the future argument is an interesting one. I don't personally think we have that right now so I'm not afraid of losing it in the same way some people are. I don't think Green has shown enough to even be mentioned as the heir to Pierce but we'll see. I do think that when PP's contract is up so is the contract of 6 very good SFs. James and Carmello have ETOs and Gay has a player option (which he'll pickup). Granger and Deng UFAs so it's not like we have to find Pierce's successor right this moment. We might even trade Pierce's expiring contract next year for an unhappy superstar. 15M expiring is a pretty big deal for teams on the rebuild.

Anyway I don't think Danny would trade for Amare. It's a lot of risk from injury, no way to insure the contract and worst of all it's kind of an "all in" move that just isn't needed right now. It would very closely resemble the Joe Johnson trade that happened this last off-season. If that doesn't pan out there is no backup plan. Danny likes outs and Amare is $20M of uncertainty for 3 years.

Doesn't mean I don't like the idea though :)

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
As a player, I'd be fine with him here.

When you realize he's owed $65 million over the next three seasons, though, there's no way.

Honestly, at this point I'm not even sure I'd want him as a player. Just can't see the offense negating the defense anymore. At least not on a contending team.

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The Knicks already used their amnesty provision.

This might go against Cblog protocol, but this is one of the greatest forgotten blunders:

THE KNICKS USED THEIR AMNESTY CLAUSE ON CHAUNCEY BILLUPS MONTHS AFTER EXTENDING HIS DEAL

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Nope. He is already on the decline. And his defense plain sucks.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's a tough one. When healthy, Amar'e is as good as anyone in the NBA. But, health is the big question mark.

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yes five year ago...not now

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Injury risk.  When an insurance company won't back your contract, you know it's real.

I'm not saying he is garbage, but he's too high of a risk these days. 

Also, going back to the structure of the Celtics make-up..I don't think he would fit.  He's a guy who needs to be the center of attention.  He isn't like KG...this is my opinion.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As a player, I'd be fine with him here.

When you realize he's owed $65 million over the next three seasons, though, there's no way.

This is the only way to answer this question. The Knicks are better without amare but no one is going to be crazy enough to take back that deal.