Author Topic: Anyone Interested in Amare.  (Read 8058 times)

Anyone Interested in Amare.
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Vangundy commenting on how it's obvious the Knicks look a lot better with their small lineup of Felton, Kidd at the two guard, with Carmelo, Chandler, and Ronnie Brewer starting over the injured. Amare. For some reason Amare just does not fit on that team, it's not that he can't play at all anymore. But Amare, Chandler, and Melo doesn't work in the "new NBA".

Does Amare, if healthy help of hurt this team.

Re: Anyone Interested in Amare.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As a player, I'd be fine with him here.

When you realize he's owed $65 million over the next three seasons, though, there's no way.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Amare earns a huge amount of money. How would you make the salaries work in a trade?

I would think that you would have to give up 3-4 rotation players plus some youngsters/picks.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Barbosa and Green is almost 16 million, you could make it work.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Barbosa and Green is almost 16 million, you could make it work.

Where are you getting your salary figures from?

Green + Barbosa is around $9 million.

To make the trade work, you'd either have to trade multiple rotation players, or move Pierce.  We'd have to give up around $18 million in salary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is shot, I would rather have Chandler.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Does Amare, if healthy help of hurt this team.
If he is healthy, he isn't Amare.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah I am actually. I like Amare's game except that he doesn't play consistent defense. I'm sure in a good system he could be as good as Bass though.

Salary wise we'd have to trade Bass, Green, Lee and probably another guy. The trade would have to look like:

Amare+Brewer for Green+Bass+Lee

That gives us a very large contract for 3 years but it upgrades us at PF in a big way and gives us a post presence. I worry about Amare's health but this move would put us in the drivers seat for #1 in the East I think.

I don't think Danny would do it but I'd certainly consider it. Especially if the Knicks would give up picks to move him. I also doubt they'd move him in their own division but who knows. It's a very interesting idea though.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »

fitzhickey

He is shot, I would rather have Chandler.
Yeah, big presence and he would be good for alleyoops with rondo

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ummm...are you guys talking about the same Amare I'm thinking of?

- The one who missed x amount of games a few years back with a detatched retina? 

- The one who missed half of last season due to injury?

- The one who missed a key playoff game because he punched a fire extinguisher and busted his hand?

- The one who is currently out for te Knicks due to injury?

Don't get me wrong, if you could somehow look into the crystal ball and be assured that Amare would be healthy for the rest of his contract, then my intrest in him would be through the roof.  He's a potential 20-10 guy who's extremely athletic and can carry a team offensively.

We also don't have any Carmello-style ball hogs on our team, and he'd probably fit in very well with team oriented veterans like Rondo, Pierce, Bass and KG. He'd give us a legitimate go-to guy as Pierce and KG wind down their careers. 

Plus playing with Rondo he'd be an absolute monster - just imagine the pick and roll game between those two, along with the lobs...plus Amare likes to run the floor as well.  There may not be a single big man in the league who would be better suited to playing with Rondo. 

BUT the problem is that if we did get him, we'd probably be lucky to get 40 games per season out of him, and the longer he spends in rehab the more his trade value drops...which is not a good thing on a $65 million man. 

My god we would be good though...

C - KG
PF - Amare
SF - Pierce
SG - Bradley
PG - Rondo

That's an undisputed contender right there.

Downside is that Pierce probably only has two seasons left in him, and we need a backup SF who is not only good enough to back up Pierce, but also good enough to take his place in the starting lineup once he moves on.  Green fills that role perfectly, so we really need to hold on to him...yet we'd probably need his contact going out in order to make the deal happen.

I think getting Amare would make Green a far better player too.  First of all it allows Green to move permanently over to his preferred SF spot.  More importantly though Green seems to play his best when he is relaxed and doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders. 

If this happened Amare and Rajon become our two key offensive players (i.e. our Westbrook and Durant) while Green can comfortably play behind those guys in a James Harden type role as our 3rd offensive option.  This removes the pressure of Jeff needing to be the "successor to Paul Pierce" and instead allows him to just be himself - all we'd need from him is a solid 14-16 points each night. 

NY may not be exceptionally picky about what talent they get in return - since they are actually BETTER without Amare on the court, technically getting rid of him and his contract is a major upgrade for them.  I think they'd probably be willing to accept just about any trade that matches on dollars, even if they only get one or two players with actual talent.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:12:28 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No. 

Amare makes to much money and has not shown enough in over a season.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
he's too expensive but if they amnestied him I'd go after him hard.
He's still a great scorer, KG could aid his defensive issues.
Knicks offense was always better when it runs through him because he takes such high percentage shots.

Van Gundy will calm down when the Knicks hot shooting streak dies. Any offense that features Carmelo Anthony shooting that many jumpshots is bound to fail.
Their defense is getting very good with the current line up but their offense will just dry out. It's basically Melo and Felton. Brewer is a bum, Chandler is an offensive bum, Kidd is a bum. They're going no where and I feel sorry for Knicks fans who think the rest of the season will be like this.

Amare taking 20 shots a game from 10 feet or closer compared to Carmelo taking 25 shots a game with 20 of them from 15 feet or out.
I know which one works in the long run.

Carmelo=poor mans Paul Pierce that eats too many cheeseburgers and plays way worse defense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Carmelo=poor mans Paul Pierce that eats too many cheeseburgers and plays way worse defense.

I like that one, TP for you  ;D

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Ew :-\

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
No. Amare is done. Unless he somehow returns to something resembling his Phoenix form, he will only hurt us to have around.