Author Topic: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?  (Read 9487 times)

Re: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
adidas is paying each 9 figures to be in LA

so no.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
don't know the possibilities of that happening, but would love it

CP3 leaving Blake, and LA
Dwight leave Kobe, Lakers and LA

the city of LA will lose 2 superstars...loving it

I think it might be funnier if the salary cap situation was such that it was feasible for Dwight Howard to stick it to the Lakers by joining CP3 on the Clippers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's been a month... now Dwight is dropping hints that he'd be open to leaving LA if he doesn't feel they are a contender.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/12/3/3721530/dwight-howard-lakers-championship-magic

Just a reminder that both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.  You'd think this would be a bigger deal.  I believe Dallas is in position to make a run at both of them.

Clips are poised to make a strong push this season. Don't see CP3 leaving to play with Howard. He already has a stronger supporting cast then Howard and Dirk.

I really strongly disagree. Dirk is a better leader and scorer than anyone on the Clips, Dwight is a better defender and rebounder than anyone on the clips. I guess you could argue Blake is better than Dirk, but Dirk has something Blake doesn't, and that's the ability to score at will, from anywhere. Dwight is already better than Blake.

Dirk will be 35 before next season starts. I don't think he has too many "score at will" years left.

I had two joke responses:

1) at what age does he stop being 7 feet tall with an unblockable jumpshot?

2) Don't Germans measure years in metric years? If a kilo gram is more than a pound, isn't Dirk actually 32 in American years?

But it's a fair point. I'd say Dirk has more than 2 years remaining as potentially dominant scorer at the 4, but he surely has less years left than Griffin, CP3, or Howard as an elite player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I bet in some wierd bs way, Paul will leave the Clippers and wind up on the Lakers. Then they will win a few titles, and just as Howard gets into his 30's they will flip him for Anthony Davis, my jebus.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's been a month... now Dwight is dropping hints that he'd be open to leaving LA if he doesn't feel they are a contender.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/12/3/3721530/dwight-howard-lakers-championship-magic

Just a reminder that both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.  You'd think this would be a bigger deal.  I believe Dallas is in position to make a run at both of them.

Clips are poised to make a strong push this season. Don't see CP3 leaving to play with Howard. He already has a stronger supporting cast then Howard and Dirk.

I really strongly disagree. Dirk is a better leader and scorer than anyone on the Clips, Dwight is a better defender and rebounder than anyone on the clips. I guess you could argue Blake is better than Dirk, but Dirk has something Blake doesn't, and that's the ability to score at will, from anywhere. Dwight is already better than Blake.

Deandre is developing nicely. His ability to protect the rim is just as good as Dwights. Dirk HAS to come back from knee surgery well for this to matter. As for Howard I believe he has peaked. We have seen him at his best. Blake is just getting started. It's what his third season playing? He has a lot more upside. You also then have to look at the rest of the supporting cast. Billups, Crawford, Butler, etc. give them a better overall team.

Clips look like they have a shot at the Finals this year with how the Lakers have looked and the Thunder have looked. They match up very well with both of those teams. If they can get productive play from Odom and Grant Hill can contribute like in Phoenix then this team could be the favorite to come out of the West in May.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 01:22:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Deandre is developing nicely. His ability to protect the rim is just as good as Dwights. Dirk HAS to come back from knee surgery well for this to matter. As for Howard I believe he has peaked. We have seen him at his best. Blake is just getting started. It's what his third season playing? He has a lot more upside. You also then have to look at the rest of the supporting cast. Billups, Crawford, Butler, etc. give them a better overall team.

Clips look like they have a shot at the Finals this year with how the Lakers have looked and the Thunder have looked. They match up very well with both of those teams. If they can get productive play from Odom and Grant Hill can contribute like in Phoenix then this team could be the favorite to come out of the West in May.

I don't see the Clips making it past the Spurs, the Grizzlies*, or even the Mavs or the T-Wolves (if everyone on both squads remain relatively healthy.)

*With the caveat that, for whatever reason, the Grizzlies seem to be allergic to beating the Clippers.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I don't disagree about Blake having yuge upside, but I really, strongly, passionately disagree with DJ being 'as good' as DH at protecting the rim (which for me means as a help defender protecting the rim). Dwight's a better defensive player across da board.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:07 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Why would anyone in the nba want to play with D12 now?   Worst teammate of all time; & his FT shooting sucks the life out of you at crunch time.   

Yeah, think cp3 is perfectly happy with Blake & DJ

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 03:38:45 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Why would anyone in the nba want to play with D12 now?   Worst teammate of all time; & his FT shooting sucks the life out of you at crunch time.   

Yeah, think cp3 is perfectly happy with Blake & DJ

Blake and DJ, who have FT shooting that suck the life out of you at crunch time.  :P

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Dirk will be 35 before next season starts. I don't think he has too many "score at will" years left.

2) Don't Germans measure years in metric years? If a kilo gram is more than a pound, isn't Dirk actually 32 in American years?

But it's a fair point. I'd say Dirk has more than 2 years remaining as potentially dominant scorer at the 4, but he surely has less years left than Griffin, CP3, or Howard as an elite player.

We'll see. Right now the only players 36 or older that ever got 20 a game were MJ, Kareem and Malone.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
....and our roster will feature a 36 year old KG, 35 year old Paul Pierce and Jason Terry :'(

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
....and our roster will feature a 36 year old KG, 35 year old Paul Pierce and Jason Terry :'(

Which is fine, as long as you a) surround your older players with younger, more athletic players and b) don't depend on them being dominant (individual) scorers and carrying your offense.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd love to see DH leave LA high and dry after this year.  Can't see CP3 leaving the Clips though -- seems to like it there.

DH to Atlanta would be intriguing if ATL can hang on to Smith, Horford and Teague.  Move Smith to SF, Horford to PF and that's the most dominant frontline in the NBA.  I'd rate that higher than Carmelo/Amare/ Chandler (but not by much).

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

We'll see. Right now the only players 36 or older that ever got 20 a game were MJ, Kareem and Malone.
That doesn't mean there hasn't been plenty of 36 year olds that can score at will.  It means teams have a replacement ready because nobody plays much longer than 36.  Instead of being left high and dry they try to integrate other guys into the offense, typically while the older guys sit back and coast to the playoffs.

If Dirk is still getting 17 shots a game next year,  there's no chance he scores less than 20.  Much more likely some of those shots are going to OJ Mayo (or Collison and Crowder).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That doesn't mean there hasn't been plenty of 36 year olds that can score at will.  It means teams have a replacement ready because nobody plays much longer than 36.  Instead of being left high and dry they try to integrate other guys into the offense, typically while the older guys sit back and coast to the playoffs.

Sometimes there's a replacement scorer, but I doubt that it's the case for all but 3 players in nba history. And Malone and Kareem are the only players in that age range that played more than 1 series in the playoffs and averaged 20 or more points, so I don't think that that coasting for the regular season is the issue either.

If Dirk is still getting 17 shots a game next year,  there's no chance he scores less than 20.  Much more likely some of those shots are going to OJ Mayo (or Collison and Crowder).

If KG and Ray were both getting 17 shots a game they'd be averaging well over 20 a game. The point isn't that players that age can't score efficiently, but they can't carry the load as often or as long as they used to.