Author Topic: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?  (Read 9490 times)

Re: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I want Dwight to stay in LA. It's a guarantee they're not going anywhere, he's so easy to deal with.

Probably true, but the thought of him leaving and the Lakers having a core in their mid-30s would be pretty cool.
It's so much more fun to try to build around Howard as a core player. Look at how well it worked in Orlando :-D
Building around Pierce was a bust. Building around KG and Ray Allen was a bust. It was only when they were old and brought together that they won anything.

At least Howard has already led a team to a finals appearance.
I don't count second places, and I doubt folks in LA do either.

Well the folks in LA count titles won by the folks in Minny, so god knows whether or not they count second place finishes

;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's been a month... now Dwight is dropping hints that he'd be open to leaving LA if he doesn't feel they are a contender.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/12/3/3721530/dwight-howard-lakers-championship-magic

Just a reminder that both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.  You'd think this would be a bigger deal.  I believe Dallas is in position to make a run at both of them.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I hope it works out like that. If Boston isn't the team winning titles, I have no problem with Dallas hoisting the trophy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think its more likely they go to Atlanta.  Howard is originally from Atlanta, and their good buddy Josh Smith is also in Atlanta to help lure them there. 

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think its more likely they go to Atlanta.  Howard is originally from Atlanta, and their good buddy Josh Smith is also in Atlanta to help lure them there.

Don't see CP3 going to Dallas. Could see Dallas signing Howard. He will still have Dirk who beside Howard would be free to be his lethal self like when beside Chandler. They still have the cap room to acquire another guy and possibly keep Mayo whose cap hold should be small.

I think Howard will strongly consider leaving LA. I think the whole idea of copying Shaq and basically being Shaq Jr. or lil Shaq really bothers him

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's been a month... now Dwight is dropping hints that he'd be open to leaving LA if he doesn't feel they are a contender.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/12/3/3721530/dwight-howard-lakers-championship-magic

Just a reminder that both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.  You'd think this would be a bigger deal.  I believe Dallas is in position to make a run at both of them.

Clips are poised to make a strong push this season. Don't see CP3 leaving to play with Howard. He already has a stronger supporting cast then Howard and Dirk.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Why would cp3 quit on the clippers to play with Dwight Howard.....he wouldn't have too if he was as good as everyone thinks. If they cant win with the teams they're on now there's little guarantee they'd win together but they sure do deserve one another!

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why would cp3 quit on the clippers to play with Dwight Howard.....he wouldn't have too if he was as good as everyone thinks. If they cant win with the teams they're on now there's little guarantee they'd win together but they sure do deserve one another!
Donald Sterling vs Mark Cuban.  Worst owner in sports to probably the best.

It's far fetched... but I don't think it's impossible.  They have thought about it before:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224272/Sources_Howard_Paul_Briefly_Planned_On_Joining_Forces_With_Mavericks

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 02:42:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't think anyone is going out of their way to play with DH.  IF they were, they'd all be in Orlando right now.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't think anyone is going out of their way to play with DH.  IF they were, they'd all be in Orlando right now.

You make a great point. Dude is really killin his image. I hope he never wins a title. Its too bad because I really wanna like the guy.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
And I also had my prediction last year of Howard and Williams joining forces with Dallas. That didnt work out, so I could totally see Paul and Howard teaming up in Dallas. Even if Paul is in a great situation with the Clip show.

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
don't know the possibilities of that happening, but would love it

CP3 leaving Blake, and LA
Dwight leave Kobe, Lakers and LA

the city of LA will lose 2 superstars...loving it

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Dallas has to find a taker for Marion and his $9m salary next season to be in position to add two max FAs without any S and Ts. 

Dirk, CP3, D Ho, Mayo,  with Jae Crowder and Dante Cunningham plus whatever ring chasers they can sign on the cheap, would be a powerhouse.  Veterans will be falling over each other to play there for Cuban for the minimum.  (The Nets put a solid bench together for $5.5m this year)

The best shooting PF of all time next to Dirk? The second best alley oop PG and best pick and roll PG paired with D HO?      Even the couple of other pieces fit.  Mayo would thrive on that team, (assuming he exercises his one year $4m option), and Crowder is the perfect SF if they can't find a cheapie vet, since he's defensive oriented and gritty. 

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Clips are poised to make a strong push this season. Don't see CP3 leaving to play with Howard. He already has a stronger supporting cast then Howard and Dirk.

I really strongly disagree. Dirk is a better leader and scorer than anyone on the Clips, Dwight is a better defender and rebounder than anyone on the clips. I guess you could argue Blake is better than Dirk, but Dirk has something Blake doesn't, and that's the ability to score at will, from anywhere. Dwight is already better than Blake.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I really strongly disagree. Dirk is a better leader and scorer than anyone on the Clips, Dwight is a better defender and rebounder than anyone on the clips. I guess you could argue Blake is better than Dirk, but Dirk has something Blake doesn't, and that's the ability to score at will, from anywhere. Dwight is already better than Blake.

Dirk will be 35 before next season starts. I don't think he has too many "score at will" years left.