Author Topic: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?  (Read 9516 times)

What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So literally yesterday I was browsing some salary cap info.  I was clinging to some pipe dream that Dwight Howard could bail on the Lakers after this season.  Him being in LA really depresses me.  It would be a glorious thing to see him leave them empty handed.  He's an unrestricted free agent after this season... it's not entirely unthinkable.  But then I had to see what teams actually had cap space and which teams would be a realistic destination.   Brooklyn is totally out of the question... but the Mavericks seem like a team that actually has the cap space to do it ... and a rare destination I could see Dwight bailing on the Lakers for (because of Cuban).

I then remembered that Chris Paul had only signed a short extension with the Clippers.  I double-checked and yes... he's an unrestricted free agent this summer as well.  Why isn't this a bigger deal?  Is it simply because Dwight and CP3 seem so happy in their Los Angeles digs?

Then today I see this article:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224272/Sources_Howard_Paul_Briefly_Planned_On_Joining_Forces_With_Mavericks

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul tried to play on the same team when they were on the Orlando Magic and New Orleans Hornets, but neither wanted to go to their former respective teams.

"We were trying to play together, but it didn't work out," Howard told Yahoo! Sports.

Paul and Howard began talking about playing together in 2009.

Howard wanted Paul to join him with the Magic.

"What will you be giving up?" asked Paul, according to a source.

Paul's preference was for Howard to join him with the Hornets.

"I tried to get him to come to New Orleans," Paul told Yahoo! Sports. "It was back and forth, here and there."

Sources close to both players say that Paul and Howard eventually decided that the Dallas Mavericks would be the ideal team to play for. The Mavericks pursued trades for both players, but didn't have enough pieces to make a deal work.

Howard and Paul are both strongly leaning toward re-signing with the Lakers and Clippers, respectively.

But the Mavericks and Hawks are both expected to have enough cap space to sign both Howard and Paul.

It's totally unthinkable, right?  What's the odds? 

Re: What's the chances Howard and CP3 join the Mavericks?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:29:18 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I don't really care where Paul goes, but I agree with you, it'd be sweet to see Dwight leave LA.

If they both joined Dallas, that'd be very interesting.  Nowitzki is just the type of PF Howard needs, and Paul is a huge upgrade over Collison.  If they can also resign Shawn Marion in this situation,  the Mavs are a contender for the future.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
None

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I want Dwight to stay in LA. It's a guarantee they're not going anywhere, he's so easy to deal with.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hawks seem more likely to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Neither one is going to give up the money that staying with their current team would entitle them too is my guess.

So what a 2% chance? Though if one does bolt LA I do think the other is likely to go as well.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This is the number one reason I think the Hawks are not going to take on any salary in a trade for Smith this season...and they may even keep Smith (who is friends with Howard), in the hopes it will attract Howard (they can use Horford as part of a sign and trade).

The reason Atlanta worked so hard to clear the books was to make a run at Howard and/or Paul, and that run is not over.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

This is the number one reason I think the Hawks are not going to take on any salary in a trade for Smith this season...and they may even keep Smith (who is friends with Howard), in the hopes it will attract Howard (they can use Horford as part of a sign and trade).

The reason Atlanta worked so hard to clear the books was to make a run at Howard and/or Paul, and that run is not over.
I thought you can't do sign and trades if you're over the tax line iirc. Or is that only a restriction on the team receiving the player?

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I thought you can't do sign and trades if you're over the tax line iirc. Or is that only a restriction on the team receiving the player?

Only the team recieving the player. 

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I want Dwight to stay in LA. It's a guarantee they're not going anywhere, he's so easy to deal with.

Probably true, but the thought of him leaving and the Lakers having a core in their mid-30s would be pretty cool.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Probably true, but the thought of him leaving and the Lakers having a core in their mid-30s would be pretty cool.
It's so much more fun to try to build around Howard as a core player. Look at how well it worked in Orlando :-D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

It's so much more fun to try to build around Howard as a core player. Look at how well it worked in Orlando :-D
Building around Pierce was a bust. Building around KG and Ray Allen was a bust. It was only when they were old and brought together that they won anything.

At least Howard has already led a team to a finals appearance.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Building around Pierce was a bust. Building around KG and Ray Allen was a bust. It was only when they were old and brought together that they won anything.

Only because KG was hurt.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I don't count second places, and I doubt folks in LA do either.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
So literally yesterday I was browsing some salary cap info.  I was clinging to some pipe dream that Dwight Howard could bail on the Lakers after this season.  Him being in LA really depresses me.  It would be a glorious thing to see him leave them empty handed.  He's an unrestricted free agent after this season... it's not entirely unthinkable.  But then I had to see what teams actually had cap space and which teams would be a realistic destination.   Brooklyn is totally out of the question... but the Mavericks seem like a team that actually has the cap space to do it ... and a rare destination I could see Dwight bailing on the Lakers for (because of Cuban).

I then remembered that Chris Paul had only signed a short extension with the Clippers.  I double-checked and yes... he's an unrestricted free agent this summer as well.  Why isn't this a bigger deal?  Is it simply because Dwight and CP3 seem so happy in their Los Angeles digs?

Then today I see this article:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224272/Sources_Howard_Paul_Briefly_Planned_On_Joining_Forces_With_Mavericks

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul tried to play on the same team when they were on the Orlando Magic and New Orleans Hornets, but neither wanted to go to their former respective teams.

"We were trying to play together, but it didn't work out," Howard told Yahoo! Sports.

Paul and Howard began talking about playing together in 2009.

Howard wanted Paul to join him with the Magic.

"What will you be giving up?" asked Paul, according to a source.

Paul's preference was for Howard to join him with the Hornets.

"I tried to get him to come to New Orleans," Paul told Yahoo! Sports. "It was back and forth, here and there."

Sources close to both players say that Paul and Howard eventually decided that the Dallas Mavericks would be the ideal team to play for. The Mavericks pursued trades for both players, but didn't have enough pieces to make a deal work.

Howard and Paul are both strongly leaning toward re-signing with the Lakers and Clippers, respectively.

But the Mavericks and Hawks are both expected to have enough cap space to sign both Howard and Paul.

It's totally unthinkable, right?  What's the odds?

About the same as Bron and Bosh joining Wade in Miami. So who knows.. Stranger things have happened recently. Seems like nothing will stop guys from joining up if it means they increase their chance to win.

But I think both LA teams would have to really disappoint this year while simultaneously having locker room issues. Both of these guys are on "contenders", are in LA, and would have to sacrifice some serious cash to leave.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14