Author Topic: Once Bradley comes back, how does this guard rotation play out?  (Read 5008 times)

Once Bradley comes back, how does this guard rotation play out?
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Once Bradley comes back the C's will have 5 quality guards. I can't see them all playing unless we go super small. Does Bradley start immidietly when he gets back?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Once Bradley comes back, how does this guard rotation play out?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I still think that Barbosa will end up being the odd man out despite his great performance in the opener.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
We're going to have see who's healthy and who's performing when than happens. Right now, I think you'd have to say it's wide open.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
With a trade.

Probably not for Josh Smith.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
We've only seen one game, so it's hard to tell at this point.

It's funny how the guy nobody saw playing much, outperformed the other guards, except maybe Lee (and Rondo, obviously).

You just never know. If we're stinking it up, he may just slide back into that role, but we have to wait and see how Lee's performing.

I think Bradley'll get it back, later, if not sooner.

I think it'll get to the point, where our guard rotation will just depend on matchups and injuries, but Barbosa kind of has to be the odd man out, with all our other talent.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Bradley is 100% healthy, I think he should be in the starting lineup.  Barbosa and Lee then fight it out for who is the 4th guard behind Terry.

Barbosa or Lee would then become expendable as someone who can be dealt for a role player to shore up other positions on the bench.  Lee has a bigger salary, so he is the guy you trade if you want a big making more than the minimum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The guys who played in the Olympics looked a bit more sharp out of the gate.  If Barbosa can play that way consistently off the bench...wow.

If Doc is still serious about defense (been fading since Thibs left), then in order of defensive ability it's a pretty clear pecking order:

Bradley
Lee
Barbosa
JET

But we can't really see JET not getting minutes, right?  Offensively, it's nearly opposite:

JET
Barbosa
Lee
Bradley,

With Lee and Bradley being close, and perhaps JET and Barbosa being close in another tier.

It all comes down to Doc, so we're screwed.  I'd guess all 5 will dress every game, and he'll have some plan that will go out the window due to fouls or the scoreboard.

One thing from the Miami game seemed to be that Doc was trying to match up with them, rather than "running our stuff" and relying on execution.  It used to be that our talent forced the other team to match up with us.  Perhaps we're deep, but flat.  Going to need crazy execution, and I'm not sure a fast-paced game is going to produce wins.

So I think he'll mix-and-match, probably until something gels.  We know Rondo/Bradley works, so to me, that starts, but I think Rondo/Lee is going to be pretty good as well.

If we're a real defensive team, which would be my call as coach, I'm looking at the top list and cross-checking with chemistry on both ends and figuring my 4-guard rotation that way.

It comes down to backup PG and how many minutes to play everyone.  I like sticking around 30 for everyone as much as possible.  So I divide up the 96 guard minutes this way:

Rondo/Lee/Bradley:  30 mpg ea.

Doesn't look so good for JET or Barbosa, does it?  I like Barbosa better, but we're stuck with JET for longer...tough call. 

With Bradley out, I might go  Rondo/Lee 30 ea. and JET/Barbosa 18 ea. in Microwave roles.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
If the Celtics are winning in the 2nd half of games, I don't see Terry getting as much playing time. If the Celtics are trailing big, his playing time probably goes up.

It's going to take a while for this guard rotation to settle down, if it ever does.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Hope Doc starts Barbosa, letting Lee and Terry play lesser minutes against starters and allowing them to create some chemistry. Barbosa is a strong guy, and can play the Bradley role for 20 minutes until Avery returns. Then there will be options. Barbosa can be effective in limited minutes, so you don't have to play him more than 10-12 a game to get an uber-Eddie House role player.

I think the Celtics will play some 3-guard rotations, allowing their new guards to shine and grow their trade value. You never know, but with Ainge every option will be explored.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Thinking it over a bit while getting the woodstove going...

Lee/Bradley have quite a few similarities in their games.

And I like the way JET is able to penetrate off the screen with his quickness.  Rondo as well seems able to get to the paint.

Rondo/JET
Bradley/Lee,

Althought perhaps Bradley/JET would be better on the floor together, and start Lee (who has better size at the 2)?

If Rondo/Lee is working when Bradley comes back, Doc should stick with it, right?

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lee is the best two way player of the bunch.  After that, I think it's a toss-up between Terry and Barbosa.  I don't think it's a given that Bradley starts over any of those three.  If he has trade value, I think it might make sense to include him in a package for a legit big.

If all these guys remain healthy, there's no sense having 4 shooting guards split 52 minutes in the playoffs.  We should trade one as part of a huge package for a Josh Smith or Big Al type. 

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Lee is the best two way player of the bunch.  After that, I think it's a toss-up between Terry and Barbosa.  I don't think it's a given that Bradley starts over any of those three.  If he has trade value, I think it might make sense to include him in a package for a legit big.

If all these guys remain healthy, there's no sense having 4 shooting guards split 52 minutes in the playoffs.  We should trade one as part of a huge package for a Josh Smith or Big Al type.

Here here. Bradley is our best defender, and also has the best trade value. If we can land a legit big in a package that will involve him it'll be a nice trade off.

While Lee, JET and Barbosa could not guard Wade as well as AB does, if he will net us a rim protector, I'd take it. No Big Al though. Not a fan of Josh Smith, but if he can protect the rim, sure.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I see Barbosa as a change of pace guy. He is needed when the normal gameplan isn't working. He will not consistently do what he did in the first game.

I see Bradley coming off the bench while he gets in shape, and then starting when he can handle the minutes. He also needs to be able to get a shooting rhythm back after a prolonged period of not using his shoulders.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

PG Rondo  35m  Terry 13m
SG Avery  30m  Terry 12m Lee    6m
SF Pierce 32m  Green 5m  Lee   11m
PF Bass   25m  Green 20m Sully  3m
C  KG     32m  Sully 16m

This is how I see the rotation on most nights with everyone healthy. The biggest variables will be big man match ups. Against bigger teams (Grizz, LA) Darko will get minutes and Sully will lose them.

Barring injuries I would have to expect some sort of mid season trade, to clear log jams.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

AB displaced Ray as a starter - if he comes back healthy, I don't think he'll have too many problems winning a spot in the rotation.

Barbosa is by far the most likely to get bench duty, barring a trade. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri