Author Topic: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract  (Read 3377 times)

Re: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The downside with Green on this team is he may have a hard time getting a lot of shots - not many to go around with Terry and Barbosa also coming off the bench and guys like Lee, Sully and Bass absorbing some shots.

There have allusions to this already (Rondo saying they need him to be the stopper, Green calling attention to his defensive aggression), but he's going to have to make his impact on D and the boards.

It's going to be hard for him to average the kind of offensive stats people want to see for $9 mil per.
If he just loses that deer in headlights look in any pressure situation it would be a start.  The problem is that Green's main talent is scoring.  He's just not an above average defender, rebounder, or passer.

That's what I think the team is hoping to get out of him this year though. They want him to use his size and athleticism to make a difference in the other areas of the game.

That's where most of his untapped potential is: defense.  He's got the size and length to be an above average defender at the 3 and a plus rebounder too, but he hasn't put them together to make much of an impact yet.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate comparing a contract to what others got to somehow justify that it is good.

It is based on whether or not the player plays at that level.

While I agree with this, I think with Green in particular, there were a lot of complaints, both on here, as well as by national sports writers that Danny was "bidding against himself", and paid more than "market value" for Green.  And I think these contracts suggest that perhaps market value is higher than many of those people suspected.

I am of the belief that good team will only overpay for star type players. 

Whether or not Green is overpayed is yet to be determined. 

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The downside with Green on this team is he may have a hard time getting a lot of shots - not many to go around with Terry and Barbosa also coming off the bench and guys like Lee, Sully and Bass absorbing some shots.

There have allusions to this already (Rondo saying they need him to be the stopper, Green calling attention to his defensive aggression), but he's going to have to make his impact on D and the boards.

It's going to be hard for him to average the kind of offensive stats people want to see for $9 mil per.
If he just loses that deer in headlights look in any pressure situation it would be a start.  The problem is that Green's main talent is scoring.  He's just not an above average defender, rebounder, or passer.

That's what I think the team is hoping to get out of him this year though. They want him to use his size and athleticism to make a difference in the other areas of the game.

That's where most of his untapped potential is: defense.  He's got the size and length to be an above average defender at the 3 and a plus rebounder too, but he hasn't put them together to make much of an impact yet.
I agree that Green could improve a lot defensively but I doubt he can improve his rebounding by much.  Players come into the league and either they can rebound or they can't.  Plus big men get paid for rebounds so they are trying to get them from day one.

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Give the dude a break, i think he deserves a pass on his first game back from heart surgery, against the world champs, on the same floor where he last played 2 years ago. It's a pretty emotional situation.

If he was capable of playing great in the preseason then really all you're doing is giving him excuses.....it was as predictable as anything for him to go from a very promising preseason to an absolute dud where he looked like he did on the same floor 2years ago..awful

You did not just compare opening night, against last years best defense in the league, not to mention, on the opposite teams ring ceremony, to the (dang) preseason, against teams' benches.

Look, I know jumping to conclusions is fun and all, but that's all it is, a jump.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

I would say he is very poor in those areas. I don't get why everyone is saying the Derozan is a worse contract than Jeff Green's. He is a much better scorer(both in points and efficiency) in non preseason games than Jeff Green and scoring is pretty much the only part of Jeff Green's game that isn't horrendous. Let's wait until he actually does something to help the Celtics win a game before saying he will be a major component to the future of this team.