Author Topic: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract  (Read 3376 times)

Re: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I dislike Jeff Green and hope Danny trade him ASAP.

I'm just sick of seeing a player with great talents failing to really make impact in big games again and again.  >:(

Uhh...the first game in an 82 game season is not exactly a 'big game', especially when it's against a team we play about 4 times (hence it's not like homecourt advantage depended on that game). 

Technically it's actually a relatively meaningless game in the grand scheme of things, it was just an exciting game for fans becuase it was against the defending champs, our biggest rivals, and our first game of the season.

Jeff will be fine.

As for contracts, I'm much more concerned about the ones Houston paid to Jeremy Lin and Omar Asik...

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:25 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Hey I was yelling at Jeff Green on Tuesday night for how timid he was playing but to start this nonsense about 1 game in is too early. We have no idea how he'll perform after getting into the season. We just have to wait.

What we do know right now is that we need him to perform. We will need Green and Terry to step up way more than they did last game if we have any chance against the Heat. Pierce and Rondo had good games and Barbosa did what we expected JET to do but without another guy giving us an aggressive punch on the offensive end we're not going to out gun them or outrun them.

One other thing to look for is the Celtics defensive system falling into place in the coming months. We're a new team. 66% of our team this year is new from last years playoff squad. It will take a few weeks, maybe a couple months to get up to speed from a teamwork standpoint. It's possible we won't have a cohesive defense until the all-star break. Not to quote Dwight Howard but, patience is key.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 01:40:27 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Give the dude a break, i think he deserves a pass on his first game back from heart surgery, against the world champs, on the same floor where he last played 2 years ago. It's a pretty emotional situation.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 05:22:18 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I dislike Jeff Green and hope Danny trade him ASAP.

I'm just sick of seeing a player with great talents failing to really make impact in big games again and again.  >:(

Uhh...the first game in an 82 game season is not exactly a 'big game', especially when it's against a team we play about 4 times (hence it's not like homecourt advantage depended on that game). 

Technically it's actually a relatively meaningless game in the grand scheme of things, it was just an exciting game for fans becuase it was against the defending champs, our biggest rivals, and our first game of the season.

Jeff will be fine.

As for contracts, I'm much more concerned about the ones Houston paid to Jeremy Lin and Omar Asik...

Asik is a defensive game changer. Would much rather have him at his contract.

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
That derozen contract is awful awful awful (and Hollinger has been railing that one too), but a bad team signing a bad contract (same team that overpaid for fields) shouldn't really make us feel better about overpaying for Green.

Holiday had a disappointing year last year that was still better than either all of Green's years or all but one of green's years, and is very young for his draft class. He is also very valuable on defense and a good shooter, so he'll stick.

Taj Gibson is a great defensive PF and decent on offense, so I think his contract will be fine value.

Lawson's and Curry's were a bit steep for different reasons (will lawson maintain his high level projection/can curry actually stay healthy), but we'll see on those; both have far more potential than Green.

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
A much as I love Jeff Green and want to see him do well, there is a little voice in my head saying "He has only played well against other mostly deep  bench players and in garbage time". Deep Bench players and Garbage Time players do not earn his salary in the NBA.

Jeff needs to step up his game and give us what we are paying for or he will soon hear some boo's. He doesnt deserve that IMHO. Yet.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Give the dude a break, i think he deserves a pass on his first game back from heart surgery, against the world champs, on the same floor where he last played 2 years ago. It's a pretty emotional situation.

If he was capable of playing great in the preseason then really all you're doing is giving him excuses.....it was as predictable as anything for him to go from a very promising preseason to an absolute dud where he looked like he did on the same floor 2years ago..awful

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I guess we (Danny) gave Jeff this contract based on his potential and on his play in practice. Hope he doesnt turn out to be a great practice player that has a hard time bringing it to the court in regular season.

I dont weight the preseason as heavily as the regular season and I dont count play against lower tier players the same as starters. I do enjoy the prediction and potential game with young players but it can only go so far.

I think a lot of folks here have possibly overvalued Jeff before he has performed. I have been somewhat guilty of this as well but I am getting suspicious.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The downside with Green on this team is he may have a hard time getting a lot of shots - not many to go around with Terry and Barbosa also coming off the bench and guys like Lee, Sully and Bass absorbing some shots.

There have allusions to this already (Rondo saying they need him to be the stopper, Green calling attention to his defensive aggression), but he's going to have to make his impact on D and the boards.

It's going to be hard for him to average the kind of offensive stats people want to see for $9 mil per. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The downside with Green on this team is he may have a hard time getting a lot of shots - not many to go around with Terry and Barbosa also coming off the bench and guys like Lee, Sully and Bass absorbing some shots.

There have allusions to this already (Rondo saying they need him to be the stopper, Green calling attention to his defensive aggression), but he's going to have to make his impact on D and the boards.

It's going to be hard for him to average the kind of offensive stats people want to see for $9 mil per.
If he just loses that deer in headlights look in any pressure situation it would be a start.  The problem is that Green's main talent is scoring.  He's just not an above average defender, rebounder, or passer.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
That derozen contract is awful awful awful (and Hollinger has been railing that one too), but a bad team signing a bad contract (same team that overpaid for fields) shouldn't really make us feel better about overpaying for Green.

Holiday had a disappointing year last year that was still better than either all of Green's years or all but one of green's years, and is very young for his draft class. He is also very valuable on defense and a good shooter, so he'll stick.

Taj Gibson is a great defensive PF and decent on offense, so I think his contract will be fine value.

Lawson's and Curry's were a bit steep for different reasons (will lawson maintain his high level projection/can curry actually stay healthy), but we'll see on those; both have far more potential than Green.
Holiday was horrible as my teammate on My Player mode in NBA 2k12. For this reason, I don't think he is any good.

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Who defended Green all night? I saw Battier on him for a while. I ask because Green does not yet seem to have the confidence and comfort to attack someone like Battier or Lebron on offense.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate comparing a contract to what others got to somehow justify that it is good.

It is based on whether or not the player plays at that level.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I hate comparing a contract to what others got to somehow justify that it is good.

While I agree with this, I think with Green in particular, there were a lot of complaints, both on here, as well as by national sports writers that Danny was "bidding against himself", and paid more than "market value" for Green.  And I think these contracts suggest that perhaps market value is higher than many of those people suspected.

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Agree and disagree. The market determines $ value. Whether they are worth it is determined at the end of the contract when you see what they contributed during the duration. Younger guys are expected to improve, to you pay to a degree for the potential. Sometimes, you hit the jackpot, like with Rondo's contract. Sometimes you end up with someone who doesn't substantially improve and the contract was a bust.