Author Topic: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract  (Read 3391 times)

new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
so, honest question from someone who isn't an NBA scout

Jeff Green got a four-year, $36 million contract this summer called the worst signing of the summer by Hollinger

how does his contract stack up to Jrue Holiday's 4 year $41M extension?  and also...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/01/jrue-holiday-signs-41-million-contract-extension-with-philly/

To give some perspective, that is less of an extension than Ty Lawson got ($48 million) but more than Taj Gibson ($38 million) or DeMar DeRozan (a head-scratching $40 million).
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: new contracts vs. Jeff Green's contract
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
All depends on how he plays.  Based on game 1, Hollinger was right.  But, if he can pick up his game, then its not looking so bad.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Holiday's contract is a good one. He has to improve as a floor general to earn it but his defense and overall skillset make me pretty comfortable with that price tag.

Gibson was too much too early, but overall defensible since they parted with Asik.

The DeRozan contract is ridiculous, he's shown me nothing to make me believe he can help a team win games. Very much an empty numbers on a bad team guy.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think his is right on par with those other contracts. Considering his is the lowest its not that bad.

Im one of the people that think we are gonna see a lot.more of the pre season jeff green and a lot less of the game 1 jeff green

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wow, DeRozan got $40 million? Colangelo is a knucklehead. That Toronto team is going nowhere. The really need a change at the top with their front office / ownership.

Philadelphia got Jrue Holiday on a good contract. Nice work. Putting Holiday and Bynum together is a nice start to building a high quality team down the road.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd say Jeff Green was worth around $7 million prior to his heart condition. Paying an additional $2 million more per annum (prior to that health issue) for potential is perfectly acceptable given his athleticism / skill-set. 

My issue is giving him that money after spending last season on the sidelines. I am shocked Jeff Green was still able to command just as much as he was prior to the injury. Shocked.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes ... it should be okay if his healthy is right (encouraging signs so far).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:23:34 AM by Who »

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I'd say Jeff Green was worth around $7 million prior to his heart condition. Paying an additional $2 million more per annum (prior to that health issue) for potential is perfectly acceptable given his athleticism / skill-set. 

My issue is giving him that money after spending last season on the sidelines. I am shocked Jeff Green was still able to command just as much as he was prior to the injury. Shocked.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes ... it should be okay if his healthy is right (encouraging signs so far).

I feel like a one year injury doesn't usually affect your contract much. I guess there aren' t too many examples either way but if jrue Holiday tore his acl last night would he automatically command less money next year? I think he would still get around the same number.

Plus I feel like Greens injury or condition probably isn't going to have much of a long or short term effect.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I dislike Jeff Green and hope Danny trade him ASAP.

I'm just sick of seeing a player with great talents failing to really make impact in big games again and again.  >:(

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I thought the Green contract was pretty bad, but the DeRozan contract is significantly worse. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think its right on par. I definitely think that Green will (i mean he should) be better than both Derzon and Gibson so in that light I think we got somewhat of a steal. We've got Green locked up so within the next couple years he can start taking the torch from Pierce. Im not looking for him to be super impressive this season.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Jeff Green is only 6 months younger than Rondo.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
All the players you're mentioning are better than Jeff green so they aren't significantly worse contracts

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Green has the ability no doubt,  I'm ok with the price tag :

if he.... "plays like he is being paid"

Green is in the Bullseye , of all the Celtics Green is under the scrutiny of DA/DOC/ Owner /Fan s more than any other player IMO.

he needs to step up ...XMAS will be too late .

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
That Derozan contract actually makes me feel okay about the Green contract.

Jrue Holiday will earn that money, and then some; and Taj Gibson is heavily overpaid imo, even though I love his game.

Green will be fine, and I think he's gonna step it up and be more aggressive soon. But, you never know.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There are a lot of mediocre NBA players making ridiculous amounts of money.  4 years, $36million is a good deal for Jeff Green, as far as I'm concerned. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson