Author Topic: Harden getting Max dollars, Is what's wrong with the NBA.  (Read 11617 times)

Re: Harden getting Max dollars, Is what's wrong with the NBA.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:21 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Taj Gibson's 4 year $38 mil contract is worse

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
7 starts over his three year career.

TP for backing me up with facts.

This stat means very little, especially on the forum of the team that basically invented the star player as 6th man role.  Red Auerbach is shaking his head in shame.

Who cares who starts the game?  How many times is he on the floor at the end of the game?  That is the important stat.

Not to mention Houston signed him to that contract, not OKC.  He'll start for Houston, and be a star.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Even before tonight Harden was still the 3rd or 4th best SG in basketball. Never had an issue with him wanting max money.

But after tonight it makes outright characterizations of Harden as nothing more than a talented reserve player who averaged less than 18 ppg seem kind of silly.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Taj Gibson's 4 year $38 mil contract is worse
Wow, that was unnecessary. They should have waited until next summer if they couldn't get a more cost-effective deal now. No need to force through a deal like that when he'll be a restricted free agent next summer.

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:37 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Even before tonight Harden was still the 3rd or 4th best SG in basketball. Never had an issue with him wanting max money.

But after tonight it makes outright characterizations of Harden as nothing more than a talented reserve player who averaged less than 18 ppg seem kind of silly.

TP.  Exactly.

As Kobe, D-Wade, and Manu age, he has a pretty good chance of being the best shooting guard in basketball.  At worst, he will be the 3rd or 4th best shooting guard in basketball for the length of his contract.  Worth the max in my eyes.

Houston isn't going broke, despite what the OP may think.  They took in 18 million in operating income last year despite higher salary costs.  Their salaries are actually lower this year (goodbye Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, Samuel Dalembert, Goran Dragic, etc...) Houston has room for another max deal this offseason!  They've cut salary!  Houston profited last year, they'll profit this year.  What's the problem again?

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25

Let me start by saying that I love Harden as a player. He's 23, smart, great handle, great in the pick and roll game. Good shooter, more athletic than he looks. Still has some upside. That said No way should he get 80 Million dollars. I wouldn't have an issue with 52 million or even 60 million.

With all the noise about NBA teams losing money. This is a huge problem right now. I would have a rating system. The only players making Max money would be obvious supertars, James,Wade,Bryant,Howard,Paul,Pierce,Durant,Aldridge,Dirk, Love,D Williams, Etc.

And if your a 4.5 star type talent. Joe Johnson,Harden,Josh Smith,Boozer, Grainger, David Lee, Etc.
 These next tier type players could still get 55 to 65 million just not 80 million.

hahahahahaaha

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Harden gonna earn that money. Get some good players next to him, and Houston could be tough. Lin and Harden will be a good combo.  Both like to play up-tempo ball.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:21 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Harden gonna earn that money. Get some good players next to him, and Houston could be tough. Lin and Harden will be a good combo.  Both like to play up-tempo ball.

Did you see his stat line tonight? Guy's good. Love fan boy posts like this by kids who just think they know the game inside and out. Why aren't you the one paying players somewhere?

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 01:25:17 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Considering many teams would have been willing to pay big bucks to Harden, people in the know seem impressed with his skill set.

Just because OKC got diminishing returns from him (with 2 main players who are mostly just scorers) shouldn't limit his ability to get paid based on his talent.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Did you see his stat line tonight? Guy's good. Love fan boy posts like this by kids who just think they know the game inside and out. Why aren't you the one paying players somewhere?

Haha!

Funny thing was I was giving Harden credit and you misread it completely.  Harden will likely earn every penny.  I saw the game highlights.  I already knew Harden was good.

Young fan boy?  Probably ought to avoid these kind of absurd characterizations of people you don't know.  I'm neither

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Not a particularly great contract, but it is what it is.

The sad part is this is Houston's third worst contract this offseason.

The Asik one is a real doozy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 03:36:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If ya'll played fantasy basketball you'd already know that James Harden was 3rd most productive shooting guard in the entire league last year (behind Wade and Kobe) DESPITE coming off the bench for 90% of the games and playing with two of the biggest stat hogs in basketball.

Tonight... 37 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and a block... 

There you have it.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
There were tons of terrible contracts this offseason, but Harden's was not one of them. As LarBrd33 pointed out, he was the 3rd best SG in the league last year.

Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert and Eric Gordon are worth max deals but James Harden isn't? Nicolas Batum is worth $47 million? Taj Gibson is worth $38 million? Aaron Afflalo is worth $43 million? Kris Humphries is worth $12 million a year? Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin's contracts are both far worse too.

I think there were many terrible contracts in the $8-10 million a year range, but I think Harden was worth every penny.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

TP.  Exactly.

As Kobe, D-Wade, and Manu age, he has a pretty good chance of being the best shooting guard in basketball.  At worst, he will be the 3rd or 4th best shooting guard in basketball for the length of his contract.  Worth the max in my eyes.

To have the kind of efficiency at age 23 that Harden has is ridiculous. He's also got an extremely marketable persona. He has the potential for ticket-selling star power that even exceeds a max deal.

By this time next year, he'll be in the conversation for best shooting guard in basketball.

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
So have some of pierces contracts been what's wrong with the NBA too? Sorry couldn't disagree more I've seen much worse with less deserving and just to throw it out there...he's played 1 game on his new team....better then anything that paper soft Kevin Martin ever did for them