Author Topic: Harden getting Max dollars, Is what's wrong with the NBA.  (Read 11655 times)

Harden getting Max dollars, Is what's wrong with the NBA.
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Let me start by saying that I love Harden as a player. He's 23, smart, great handle, great in the pick and roll game. Good shooter, more athletic than he looks. Still has some upside. That said No way should he get 80 Million dollars. I wouldn't have an issue with 52 million or even 60 million.

With all the noise about NBA teams losing money. This is a huge problem right now. I would have a rating system. The only players making Max money would be obvious supertars, James,Wade,Bryant,Howard,Paul,Pierce,Durant,Aldridge,Dirk, Love,D Williams, Etc.

And if your a 4.5 star type talent. Joe Johnson,Harden,Josh Smith,Boozer, Grainger, David Lee, Etc.
 These next tier type players could still get 55 to 65 million just not 80 million.

Re: Harden getting Max dollars, Is what's wrong with the NBA.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Houston stole Etwuan Moore for nothing. Serves then right.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If Houston doesn't offer Harden that much money does he stay? It is gret to be fiscally responsible and build assets but eventually you need to cash in those assets for a star player. I believe Harden to be a star player. I predict he is top 10 in the league in scoring next year while playing excellent defense. Is he worth $80 compared to others that make that much? Probably not. Is he worth $80 to Houston if that's the only way he signs there? You betcha.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
With all the noise about NBA teams losing money. This is a huge problem right now. I would have a rating system. The only players making Max money would be obvious supertars, James,Wade,Bryant,Howard,Paul,Pierce,Durant,Aldridge,Dirk, Love,D Williams, Etc.

Well, gee, why not just have the NBA operate like MLS and have player contracts signed with the league rather than individual teams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
7 starts over his three year career. 

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
the "lockout" did nothing. owners are still going to spend stupidly (harden is a calculated gamble, but not a terrible one...its not like the dude hasn't produced a lot already). they just got the players to fork over more of the money split. if you thought the lockout was about fixing some of the crazy contracts...expect to be surprised. the lockout was about getting more money back from the players. also, this isn't about OKC being a "small market" team. they get millions in tax breaks, and abandoned a huge market and basketball hotbed (seattle) because the new owner was from OKC and they extored/"persuaded" the people of OKC to build them a new arena.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Wait, I thought corrupt officiating and David Stern's separate sets of rules for guys like Lebron and Kobe are what's wrong with the NBA?

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Harden is putting on a show tonight
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
7 starts over his three year career.

TP for backing me up with facts.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Wait, I thought corrupt officiating and David Stern's separate sets of rules for guys like Lebron and Kobe are what's wrong with the NBA?
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The harden counter right now,

34 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals, 1 block.

Still in the 4th quarter
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Teams that can't land the big fish with the max hand out the max to the lower tier player just because they need something on their roster. Most of the guys you mentioned were given Max deals because the missed out on the high profile superstar, the second tier players are lucky enough to be the second option but still get first option superstar money.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Not a particularly great contract, but it is what it is.

The sad part is this is Houston's third worst contract this offseason.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Let me start by saying that I love Harden as a player. He's 23, smart, great handle, great in the pick and roll game. Good shooter, more athletic than he looks. Still has some upside. That said No way should he get 80 Million dollars. I wouldn't have an issue with 52 million or even 60 million.

And if your a 4.5 star type talent. Joe Johnson,Harden,Josh Smith,Boozer, Grainger, David Lee, Etc.
 These next tier type players could still get 55 to 65 million just not 80 million.

The salary scale is to blame for this, but the economics make sense.

We assume that if Lebron makes $18 million, then someone who is clearly inferior should make substantially less.

But in fact, Lebron's is not a "market" salary. It is the maximum allowed by the CBA.

In fact, if we had open bidding for Lebron his salary might be more like $25 million. Or $30 million. (Thought about this way, players like Lebron are the true losers of the CBA).

In which case, Harden's number would look a lot more reasonable. OR, he might get offered less because true superstars would be eating up more payroll.

What you are suggesting is to further regulate salaries all up and down the spectrum. The biggest problem I see is that it's just not feasible. Who "rates" the players?

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I was reading this a while ago. I was gonna respond and say I think he's overpaid. But then I saw what he did to Detroit and I was like, "hmm, I better hold my judgment on this one."

It seems to be a lot of money for now. But he showed in his debut he is a max money player. And he continue to play in a manner of 20-23ppg / 4-6 rpg / 5-7 apg and being efficient on the floor, I think he's worth the max.

We'll see.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace