Author Topic: Package Green+Sully for Horford or Smith  (Read 2406 times)

Package Green+Sully for Horford or Smith
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

At the deadline. Bottom line we don't be Miami in a seven game series as constructed. Me might not beat the with Smith or Horford, I really like this team but we need a four that can protect the rim better than Bass or Sully. Kevin is good but he's slowing down. And I know Smith is only 6'8", but he jumps out of the gym and he can block everything.

The potential defensively of a Garnett, Josh Smith, Pierce, Avery Bradley, Rondo team is one of the only things I can think of that MIGHT be able to beat the Heat in a series. I'd settle for Horford if that's all we can get. He's a warrior and is ready to play right now. I love Sully but I'd trade anything save the big 3 and Bradley to go try to win one more.

Re: Package Green+Sully for Horford or Smith
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Horford is only on the table for a top 20 player in the league. Since Horford is a skilled big man, they may only be willing to part with him for a top 10-12 guy in the league.

Josh Smith may be attainable though. I don't think his status will be decided until mid-season after Atlanta has had a chance to see how their new look team is doing.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Horford is probably as untouchable as they could come.

And for the 9,000th thread...Yes, I agree we should get Josh Smith.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Must... resist... Smith... thread...

I can't though

My biggest question is where is our depth at the 3 if we trade Green? Bass? I guess that could work...

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Lee/Barbosa
Pierce/Bass/Joseph
Smith/Wilcox
Garnett/Milicic/Collins/Melo

I'd much rather try to work out something for Green and Melo. That way we keep Sully as a backup 4... because I don't trust Wilcox as the primary backup with his injuries. Green, Melo, picks, maybe?

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Horford is probably as untouchable as they could come.

And for the 9,000th thread...Yes, I agree we should get Josh Smith.

Yep all this.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd really like to see how Smith defends Lebron, he certainly appears to have the "tools" to do it well, but so does Jeff Green.  I think Smith would be a great guy to stick on Battier to use as a roamer on defense while Pierce defends Lebron and maybe also be used to defend Lebron when Pierce is out of the game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Better Horfor. We need a big man to help KG

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Shouldnt trade Green unless an other SF comes over in the package.

Hordford doesen't help with the Lebron at PF line up. Neither he or KG can guard James, not that a lot of people can, but if your're going to bring in a PF he needs to be some one tht can help with the Lebron problem.

They played PP on him and moved Bass to SF guarding Battier. It was okay, but Bass can't move quick enough to help out.

It would have been better for Green to start than Bass last night.

Bass just doesn't look great starting, especially against Miami. He kinda disappeared last season in the play offs.

Smith would be the best option. He's a good rebounded and shot blocker. Will run the floor and has better hands than Bass. 

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd really like to see how Smith defends Lebron, he certainly appears to have the "tools" to do it well, but so does Jeff Green.  I think Smith would be a great guy to stick on Battier to use as a roamer on defense while Pierce defends Lebron and maybe also be used to defend Lebron when Pierce is out of the game.
Didn't Tyrus Thomas have some really good defensive performances against LeBron back when they were with the Bulls and Cavs respectively?

May offer a cheaper more easily attainable alternative to someone like Josh Smith.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Didn't Tyrus Thomas have some really good defensive performances against LeBron back when they were with the Bulls and Cavs respectively?

May offer a cheaper more easily attainable alternative to someone like Josh Smith.

I do recall that he did.  I don't exactly recall how he did it though... did he keep him out on the perimeter?  I think Lebron's jumpshot is improved now which would make him a much more difficult cover for Thomas.

I wonder how Thomas' attitude would be received in the Celtics lockerroom.  My guess is probably not well.  I've always liked his potential as a player.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Bottom line:   Way too early to draw a bottom line.

This team is still very new.  It will morph and change over the next few weeks as players learn each other and settle into roles that (hopefully) amplify their strengths while mitigating their weaknesses.

By the time the trading deadline comes around, sure, we may need to do a trade.  But we may not.  Or we may need something entirely different than we might think right now.

It is just one game so far, folks.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Josh Smith is a perfect fit here and a perfect powerforward against the heat.

Maybe we can trade Bass, Bradley, Melo, Wilcox, picks in a 3 or 4 team trade to get him.

I think they may want 2 or 3 young players and 2 first round picks.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
while we are at it, maybe we could get Marc Gasol for them instead.

smh, give this team some time. By January we'll know better, and Danny won't be shy, you can bet.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Smith isn't a sissy about contact.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Smith is too good defensively to waste on Battier. Pierce is also too good a defender to waste on Battier, but given his age and how much we depend on him offensively, I'd put Smith on LeBron and have Pierce get breathers on D guarding Battier.

But I highly doubt we land Smith. Green has to physical ability to, just needs to grasp it mentally. Time will tell.
CELTICS 2024