Author Topic: 2012/2013 NBA Season  (Read 218854 times)

Re: 2012/2013 NBA Season
« Reply #765 on: February 01, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ahh, Tayshaun Prince isn't with the Grizzlies yet.

Too bad. This would've been a great first game against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder.

Memphis starting Bayless in Prince's place with TA shifting over to small forward. Good matchup with the limited Thabo Sefolosha there. An offensive threat vs a non-offensive threat. Good job by L.Hollins getting some extra offense on the floor there. That said, not sure Bayless is skilled enough to score (as a shot creator) on a defender as long and talented as Thabo though. Still, Bayless' shooting will give the Grizzlies another peripheral offensive threat.

I'd still like to see Oklahoma bring on Kevin Martin. Give Bayless (weak defender) somebody to defend. Bayless is there to be exploited.
Care to rethink that?  Looked great in the pick and roll tonight and tied the game high in assists too.

Bayless is having a down year, but I've always really liked him as a player.  Above average backup combo guard that is perfectly capable of filling in for starters when called upon.

Too bad Memphis couldn't take advantage and get back in this game.  Westbrook really melted down after starting off red hot.  They need Prince so they can put Tony on Westbrook.  Hilarious post-game interview by Russell though when asked about the incident (and no, not just his shirt).

"Do you feel like you need to control yourself more?"  "I control it like a man, like I did."  "What does that mean?"  *blank stare*  "Put it behind you and go win?"  "If that's what you say brah."

Someone post the video.  Westbrook and Sager straight up battling for most disgusting outfits, as always.

I gave up on the game during the 2nd quarter. I saw no way back for Memphis.

Good to hear Bayless was able to take advantage of Thabo.

« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
If Bogut can stay healthy, Golden State is a legitimate title contender in the West.

Do you think their defense holds up in a seven-game series against a good offensive team?  Bogut is the only above average defender on that team.  The rest of the lineup is filled with limited athletes who are susceptible to being beaten off the dribble.  Barnes is the exception to that rule, but he's a rookie and is a long way away from being an impact defender. 

I just don't see them getting enough stops to be a legit playoff threat.  Bogut is good, but he can't do everything.
Yeah, with Bogut there and with Ezeli behind him, Golden State can be a top ten defensive team. Being able to have a quality shot-blocker to protect the rim on the court at all times is a major plus for Golden State.

The rest of their lineup has really good size. Not always great athletes but good size and length who can play good position defense. With a shot-blocker behind them, they can be really effective defensively as a unit. That will give them enough stops come playoff time. I think many people really underrate the value of size and length on the perimeter defensively.

Golden State are not going to be a great defensive team but they should be very good. A second tier type defensive squad. They should be a really good rebounding team too with Bogut and Lee together and big wings. Landry and Ezeli off the bench.

But the main weapon will be their offense. One of the best shooting teams in the league. Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are electric shot-makers. Then Harrison Barnes. David Lee. Jarrett Jack off the bench. Then Bogut in the post. Plus the passing ability of Lee, Bogut, Klay Thompson and Steph Curry. The unselfishness and togetherness they play with it. Amazing. They can put five scoring threats on the floor almost at all times (everyone can score except Ezeli).

Golden State's starting unit is one of the best in the league plus they have two sixth man of the year candidates coming off their bench in Jack and Landry and one of the best backup centers in the league in Ezeli. And, Richard Jefferson as a deep reserve on the wing when they need extra size defensively there.

There is some major talent in Golden State.

On a side note, I think Mark Jackson should be Coach of the Year. He has done an incredible job getting these guys to play together as well as they have done on both ends of the court. And with the confidence they have both individually and in each other. Incredible.

« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Rudy Gay debuts for Toronto against the Clippers.

I'm excited to see how the new-look Raptors play.

« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Rudy Gay debuts for Toronto against the Clippers.

I'm excited to see how the new-look Raptors play.
Oh [dang]. I thought Gay wasn't meant to play until Sunday.

Yeah, me too, I am very excited to see this new-look Raptors team play too. Lowry, DeRozan (and Ross) with Gay on the perimeter is a fun group. Overwhelmingly athletic.

« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Rudy Gay is going to be a top 10 scorer in the league now that he is out of Memphis.

« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Amir Johnson playing really well for Toronto. Making me wish he was here in Boston.

« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Ohh, DeRozan with the sweet reverse layup in transition. Turnover. Fastbreak again, Gay upcourt, to DeRozan, layup plus the foul. Toronto running the Clippers off the court. Too athletic for LAC. Overwhelming speed and athleticism.

16 point lead for Toronto now over the CP3-less Clippers heading into halftime.

« Reply #772 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Nice post up by Amare. Just pushed, out-muscled, Larry Sanders out of the way there.

I am still not sure what to make of Sanders defensively. Not a good sign to see him so easily pushed around by someone like Amare. There are bigger more physical players at the five position than Amare.

Amare just pushed Sanders out of the way again on the boards to get that offensive rebound.

« Reply #773 on: February 01, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Another bullish post up by Amare against Sanders. Left post again, backs him down aggressively. Quick turn middle. Short jump hook, 4 footer.

Easy high percentage look right at the rim. No idea why they don't go back to that. Instead, they isolate Carmelo on the left wing on two consecutive possessions against Mbah a Moute. Bad offense.

« Reply #774 on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Gay looking pretty good in debut
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #775 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Amare has looked great. Very active. Quick decisions. Attacking often and intelligently. Showing a nice variety of moves all happening in or around the paint.

Really impressive display from Amare.

« Reply #776 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Miami making Hibbert's life easy by playing Haslem at PF. Allowing Hibbert to hang back in the paint and bother Miami's dribble penetration. Haslem hasn't been making jump-shots all season long. There isn't enough floor spacing for Miami's penetrators to be effective.

Bad coaching from Spoelstra. Miami needs to go small and quick (with Battier at PF) and make Indiana's size and relative lack of speed (especially Hibbert) a liability. Force Hibbert to defend Bosh which Hibbert cannot do.

« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Chris Andersen getting the nod here from Spoelstra. Nice to see him on the floor again.

Unfortunately, Spoelstra thinks C.Andersen is the answer against Roy Hibbert. The answer isn't matching size with size. That isn't where Miami's strengths lie. Their strengths are speed and quickness. Use your strengths. You are the best bloody team in the league.

« Reply #778 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Chris Andersen has looked good. Mobile. Active. Productive.

He definitely could've helped the Celtics.

« Reply #779 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Come on Minnesota, make my night.