Author Topic: New Star Wars movies in development and set to come out  (Read 31662 times)

Re: New Star Wars movies in development and set to come out
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd definitely go watch this

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Hopefully they do the Timothy Zahn stuff.  As much as the prequels sucked, there's been some good Star Wars fiction outside of the films.

(Yes, I am a nerd.)
Entertainment Weekly seems to think that the new trilogy will focus on Jaida and Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker.  That seemingly would make a lot of sense since Luke, Leia, and Hans all would be around for much of the trilogy, but wouldn't be the focus, and all three would be old enough that they could be played by the three original actors (with some minor age editing). 

EDIT: To remove some spoiler esque stuff, in case they do actually go that route.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:10:18 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Hopefully they do the Timothy Zahn stuff.  As much as the prequels sucked, there's been some good Star Wars fiction outside of the films.

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

see, if the go with the Zahn stuff, they'll have to re-cast Luke, Leia, Han, and then they'd probably go back and digitally remaster the originals (again) and basically the world would end

:)

I'm cool with them doing a new generation of Jedis - as the Grantland article states, there's a lot of potential for this world to be developed and bring Star Wars back to being good and cool again
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y

This will make you sad.

Not safe for work. Not like, extremely terrible or anything but there are some f-bombs scattered.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

see, if the go with the Zahn stuff, they'll have to re-cast Luke, Leia, Han, and then they'd probably go back and digitally remaster the originals (again) and basically the world would end

:)

I'm cool with them doing a new generation of Jedis - as the Grantland article states, there's a lot of potential for this world to be developed and bring Star Wars back to being good and cool again
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

(Yes, I am a nerd.)
Entertainment Weekly seems to think that the new trilogy will focus on Jaida and Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker.  That seemingly would make a lot of sense since Luke, Leia, and Hans all would be around for much of the trilogy, but wouldn't be the focus, and all three would be old enough that they could be played by the three original actors (with some minor age editing). 

EDIT: To remove some spoiler esque stuff, in case they do actually go that route.

I'd like to see them go that route, the question will be how far in the future do they go. Spoilers in White text, highlight to read.

I mean, as a extended universe reader, the novels where Jacen, Jania and anakin where they were 1) the focus of the books and 2) between 8-16

were just god awful. Teenage angst on a galactic scale.

Now, when they grew up and started getting to go do important, Galaxy shaking stuff the EU really took off. Jania now is one of my favorite Character in the EU.

Also, it will be interesting how they address both Mara Jade and Ben if they go that route. Mara Jade is fairly well known, for a EU character, but you'd still probley need some extensive backstory on her to bring her into the movies. Would they want to spend some of the first movie developing the "this is a secret jedi assiasian no one knew existed who has been trying to kill Luke for years but now loves him" story?

And Ben skywalker came real, real late in the book series, due to Luke and Mara having problems having a kid. I mean he's what, 12 when he becomes Jacen's apprentice in the EU? and Jacen is like 25 at that point.

They could just age him though, that would be an easy one to fix 

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

I'd like to see them go that route, the question will be how far in the future do they go. Spoilers in White text, highlight to read.

I mean, as a extended universe reader, the novels where Jacen, Jania and anakin where they were 1) the focus of the books and 2) between 8-16

were just god awful. Teenage angst on a galactic scale.

Now, when they grew up and started getting to go do important, Galaxy shaking stuff the EU really took off. Jania now is one of my favorite Character in the EU.

Also, it will be interesting how they address both Mara Jade and Ben if they go that route. Mara Jade is fairly well known, for a EU character, but you'd still probley need some extensive backstory on her to bring her into the movies. Would they want to spend some of the first movie developing the "this is a secret jedi assiasian no one knew existed who has been trying to kill Luke for years but now loves him" story?

And Ben skywalker came real, real late in the book series, due to Luke and Mara having problems having a kid. I mean he's what, 12 when he becomes Jacen's apprentice in the EU? and Jacen is like 25 at that point.

They could just age him though, that would be an easy one to fix 

I think they will spend the first movie going very quickly through Jaida and Jacen aging, Luke and Mara meeting, and probably end it about the time Ben is born.  The second movie will probably be Ben becoming an apprentice to Jacen and moving in that storyline with the climax being what should be obvious.  The third movie will then be the full on good v. evil battle.

At least that is how I would do it and that would seemingly make sense.  Though if you did that you would either have to recast Luke, Leia, and Hans or do some fairly dramatic CGI to young them up for at least the first movie (probably could get away with it in the 2nd and 3rd with just makeup).

They could also just start the first movie at the time when Ben become Jacen's apprentice without much backstory and just do the backstory in sort of a flashback mode throughout the movies.  There is certainly plenty there for three movies and then you wouldn't need to recast Luke, Leia, and Hans at all as they would be nearer to their actual ages now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:41:01 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Han Solo has gotten old, man!  It looks like a Star Wars movie (rather than a merchandising cartoon), which is all that we can ask for.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:22:45 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs#t=108

Han Solo has gotten old, man!

set 20 years after Return of the Jedi right?

I just want to see some lightsaber fights man!

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

This will make you sad.

Not safe for work. Not like, extremely terrible or anything but there are some f-bombs scattered.

Yeah I'm sad at the fact that the movie they suggested would suck. I've enjoyed the prequels very much and wouldn't anything about them.

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs#t=108

Han Solo has gotten old, man!

Not as bad as I feared! I actually think he looks even classier than in the original movies. Chewie is still Chewie though ;D

I was fearing the worst for this sequel but this trailer has me back on the bandwagon... I just hope I won't be disappointed by the movie because of a great, great trailer.

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I trust Abrams with Star Wars like I do Ainge with the C's. In other words, we're in good hands.

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This will make you sad.

Yeah, it's sad because probably any film student with an interest in science fiction and fantasy and a decent understanding of plotting and character developmont could have come up with a better screenplay for Episode 1 than Lucas did.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

This will make you sad.

Yeah, it's sad because probably any film student with an interest in science fiction and fantasy and a decent understanding of plotting and character developmont could have come up with a better screenplay for Episode 1 than Lucas did.

I'm not sad and I don't think they would do any better.

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'd definitely go watch this

Legacy is literally the only thing in the EU I like.