Author Topic: New Star Wars movies in development and set to come out  (Read 31657 times)

Re: New Star Wars movies in development and set to come out
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hopefully they do the Timothy Zahn stuff.  As much as the prequels sucked, there's been some good Star Wars fiction outside of the films.

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm skeptical they'll do the Zahn stuff, but who knows they may choose to go the recasting route.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's exciting to think of a new director at the helm of the sequels.  George Lucas was never a good director.  The thought of a young director like Rian Johnson or Duncan Jones... an established winner like Spielberg returning... or the obvious Whedon/Nolan picks... makes me pretty pumped up

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I want to see more jedi/sith battles, something like the games

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Christopher Nolan and his ability to character build, intertwine various storylines and create excellent, multi faceted villians would be a perfect person to hand this over to, IMHO.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The less Lucas the better, he's been holding Star Wars down for years.

I also am a nerd.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Who's excited? This guy is!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/

Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series called "Episode 7," set for release in 2015, with plans to follow it with Episodes 8 and 9 and then one new movie every two or three years.

Good grief. With the exception of seeing how Luke's dad became Darth Vader at the end of Episode 3, and Yoda's awesome moves, the prequel trilogy was lame, lacking the magic and 1980s whimsy of the original trilogy. I can't imagine the third set of movies will be any different.

I'm pretty sure that Lucas used to talk about three trilogies, one before the original trilogy and one based after it.

Maybe so, and I'm sure there are those who disagree with my general take on this, but a lot of things in life are about catching lightning in a bottle, everything coming together, falling into the right place at the right time, and if you miss that small window, you're sunk. The original trilogy had all that, but the window had long been closed by the time the second trilogy came around, and I just don't see it opening again this time, either. If it's not Luke and Leia and Han (and the original actors playing them), then it's just not the same, which means that no matter how good the new movies might be in their own right, they won't be that good. Know what I mean?

You didn't hear they hired Danny as a consultant for the new trilogy did you? The window's been blown wide open baby!
Touché
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Perhaps?

Just replace the face with Jar Jar

Ha! Jar Jar Binks = most annoying character in movie history.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Hopefully they do the Timothy Zahn stuff.  As much as the prequels sucked, there's been some good Star Wars fiction outside of the films.

(Yes, I am a nerd.)

the Timothy Zahn stuff would be awesome. I agree, there is so much good material written post episode VI that they should have no problem putting together great stories that stay true to the genre. I hope they don't crew it up!

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I certainly hope they explore Salacious B. Crumbs beginnings, as a young Kowakian Monkey Lizard. Before he stowed away on Jabba's sand barge.

This is the great untold story of the universe, but I'm not sure film technology has developed enough to do it justice. 

I am hoping for a nice simple buddy comedy exploring Bossk and IG-88's wacky bounty hunting adventures throughout the galaxy...and beyond.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Who's excited? This guy is!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/

Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series called "Episode 7," set for release in 2015, with plans to follow it with Episodes 8 and 9 and then one new movie every two or three years.

Good grief. With the exception of seeing how Luke's dad became Darth Vader at the end of Episode 3, and Yoda's awesome moves, the prequel trilogy was lame, lacking the magic and 1980s whimsy of the original trilogy. I can't imagine the third set of movies will be any different.

I'm pretty sure that Lucas used to talk about three trilogies, one before the original trilogy and one based after it.

Maybe so, and I'm sure there are those who disagree with my general take on this, but a lot of things in life are about catching lightning in a bottle, everything coming together, falling into the right place at the right time, and if you miss that small window, you're sunk. The original trilogy had all that, but the window had long been closed by the time the second trilogy came around, and I just don't see it opening again this time, either. If it's not Luke and Leia and Han (and the original actors playing them), then it's just not the same, which means that no matter how good the new movies might be in their own right, they won't be that good. Know what I mean?
I don't know I really loved the new Star Trek, of course that was a franchise reboot rather than a sequel, so it is a bit different.

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well you know I'm a nerd.

After taking time to not think I came to the conclusion that this is good. Lucas can't live forever. At some point he was going to lose control no matter what and selling while he's still here to exercise influence will hopefully reduce the batardization that is inevitable and send it in a good direction.  I somewhat hope they bring back Hamil, Ford, and Carrie in Avatarish form with their voices. Lucas has already handed over lots of stuff and the vast majority of it was good. Most of the video games, most of the comics. The cartoons. The books. The universe was way too big and there was too much good talent out there not to let people play in it.  I could see him doing something similar to JRR Tolkein leaving behind tons of notes and whatnot. Gene Roddenbury left us Star Trek and it's worked out decently. I guess
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:13:51 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let's just pray no Jar Jar Binks character types.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Ok, let's up the Nerd-Index a couple of levels.

I don't really want an Episode 7. What happens after the Return Of The Jedi is not that interesting to me. Not to mention, all the former stars are pretty old at this point. Watching Grandpa Skywalker, old man Solo and thier kids/grand kids battle a reincarnated Sidious or whomever is sort of... eh.

Personally, I was always hoping Lucus would put out a Darth Bane movie. The Old Sith order, the beginning of the Rule of Two, etc... That movie/series of movies, could be amazing.

However, given the fact that Disney just poney'd up $4 billion for the franchise, I expect they will take the easy path of least resistance and most $$$. A couple of new Star Wars movies, plus related merchandising will give a nice ROI.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The founding of the Sith would be cool a prequel to the prequel.