Author Topic: Trading players for draft picks  (Read 982 times)

Trading players for draft picks
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
How does trading players for draft picks work?  Is their a criteria against outgoing salaries?  Can we shed salary by moving a combination of players?
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Re: Trading players for draft picks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not an expert but I imagine a team over the cap cannot trade away a draft pick and receive a player (salary) without giving up salary as well.  So, we couldn't trade a pick and pick up a player without giving up a player too.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Make believe land at it's best.   You have cap that you have to match up in trades.   So you can trade players for picks but have to take up some cap in return.  Sometimes teams send expiring contracts thought that don't ding as much.   But you just can't trade say a KG for picks straight up.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
1. Before the draft, picks have no salary cap value.

2. Unsigned first round picks are included in team salary immediately upon their selection in the draft. They count as 100% of the scale salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary.

3. Once a first round pick signs a contract, his actual salary is included in the team salary, of course.

4. If a first round pick signs with a non-NBA team, his scale amount is excluded from the team salary on the date he signs his non-NBA contract or the first day of the regular season, whichever is later.

5. Unsigned second round picks are not included in team salary.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Make believe land at it's best.   You have cap that you have to match up in trades.   So you can trade players for picks but have to take up some cap in return.  Sometimes teams send expiring contracts thought that don't ding as much.   But you just can't trade say a KG for picks straight up.
i don't think this is entirely true.  I would think KG could be traded for a pick to a team that is below the cap and cold absorb his salary. 

But these things are very unlikely and simply won't happen.  Think about it this way.  We might want to she'd salary so that we can have cap space to sign someone better.  If I am a team below the cap, why would I use it on KG?  I would simply keep it until I could sign the player that was worth it.