Author Topic: IDEA: Derrick Williams  (Read 1055 times)

IDEA: Derrick Williams
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

Minnesota isn't giving this guy a chance to develop, and I feel like he'd thrive under more minutes. With that being said, how would Minny entertain a trade like Derrick Williams + Luke Ridnour/J.J. Barea for Bass and Lee? With the health-wise unpredictable Roy and Russian import Shved manning their SG position, they could possibly bite on Lee. Also, this could give us our PF for the future. It also addresses their need of a true back-up behind Love. What thrills me about this trade is that it gives us a legitimate PG behind Rondo, and we saw how effective Barea could be in the playoffs. This would give us this kind of lineup: (once Bradley returns)

PG: Rondo/(Ridnour/Barea)
SG: Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
SF: Pierce/Green/Joseph
PF: Williams/Sullinger/Wilcox
C: Garnett/Milicic/Collins/Melo

Notice the age of our prospective backbone then: Rondo (26), Bradley (21), Green (26), Williams (21), Sullinger (20).

Re: IDEA: Derrick Williams
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Minnesota wouldn't give up Derrick Williams to get Nicolas Batum who they were hot after and were willing to pay Batum like a star talent ... So I can't see them giving up Derrick Williams for two role players like Bass and Lee.

Maybe in another year's time they'll be more willing to part with him. Just not yet.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:26:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Minnesota wouldn't give up Derrick Williams to get Nicolas Batum who they were hot after and were willing to pay Batum like a star talent ... So I can't see them giving up Derrick Williams for two role players like Bass and Lee.

Maybe in another year's time they'll be more willing to part with him. Just not yet.
And also I wouldn't want the Celts to trade for him until another year goes by for Williams to give a better indication of what kind of player he will be.

Bass and Lee can play significant roles on a championship team.  Williams wasn't even very significant on a bad team last year.  If we are going for a title this year, I don't trade for Williams.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah don't see it. I think it's more likely that he ends up being traded for Tyreke Evans or something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I guess it depends how close they think they are from being a threat in the West.
I'd do the deal in a heart beat. He's got All Star talent.
I doubt Minnesota picks up the phone unless you throw in Bradley with Bass and another decent young prospect (Melo,Sully) or pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.