Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15357 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think IF DA eventually does a deal , it will be for a player that the rest of the team probally wants and will fit in as well.  Our Alstars of KG and PP are getting to old to carry the team ...we are gonna need a couple new Alstars to compete it appears.

Josh Smith.

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
It is quite clear to me that Sully and Darko can't be counted on to play center when kg is out of the game. They are much too slow footed to keep up with quicker guards like Wade and tonight with Ellis and Jennings.

Darko can come in handy against low post centers like Bynum and Howard, but other than that I see no reason he should get mins

Sully would look so much better in the starting lineup IMO because at least he would have KG protecting him.

I would be very interested in possibly picking up Emeka Okafor for Bass, Lee and filler. Bass,Lee,Collins and Joseph should come close to making the money work.

PG: Rondo     / Terry
SG: Bradley   / Barbosa
SF: PP        / Green
PF: Sully     / Wilcox
 C: KG        / Emeka

Wash already has Nene at center, so maybe there is a realistic chance to get Okafor ?
TP.  That's actually a solid idea.  The Wizards stink and Okafor is seen as "overpaid", but on a team like Boston he'd be perfect.  Kind of like a rich man's Perk.  I've always liked him.  I feel like he's destined to have a Marcus Camby type of career where for years everyone complains about how he's overpaid and a bum... but ultimately finds a home on a contender and is proven to be a very capable and solid defensive veteran big man.

I realize it is early, and I try not to overreact too much based on the first few games of the season, but it appears this Celtic team could use a tweak in the form of compression. There is too much talent and position redundancy on this roster. So as it happens, I would be strongly in favor of a Bass and Lee for this type of deal. I feel like they are most expendable and they have the contracts and value that could net the most return. I like this idea and the players involved.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm not sure if I said this already. But outside of Paul, KG and Rondo, give the Warriors whoever they want and bring Bogut here.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It is quite clear to me that Sully and Darko can't be counted on to play center when kg is out of the game. They are much too slow footed to keep up with quicker guards like Wade and tonight with Ellis and Jennings.

Darko can come in handy against low post centers like Bynum and Howard, but other than that I see no reason he should get mins

Sully would look so much better in the starting lineup IMO because at least he would have KG protecting him.

I would be very interested in possibly picking up Emeka Okafor for Bass, Lee and filler. Bass,Lee,Collins and Joseph should come close to making the money work.

Wash already has Nene at center, so maybe there is a realistic chance to get Okafor ?
TP.  That's actually a solid idea.  The Wizards stink and Okafor is seen as "overpaid", but on a team like Boston he'd be perfect.  Kind of like a rich man's Perk.  I've always liked him.  I feel like he's destined to have a Marcus Camby type of career where for years everyone complains about how he's overpaid and a bum... but ultimately finds a home on a contender and is proven to be a very capable and solid defensive veteran big man.

I really like it for Washington. Don't like the mix of Okafor-Nene and Ariza/Vesely/Singleton in the frontcourt. I think a jump-shooter like Bass would be a really good fit alongside Nene is more of a spaced out offense. Then Courtney Lee as a two way player who provides plus defense and strong outside shooting to space the floor for Wall and Nene to create.

PG - Wall, Crawford
SG - Lee, Beal
SF - Ariza, Vesely, Singleton
PF - Bass, Booker
C  - Nene, Seraphin

That is a nice team. Better than their current group.

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think IF DA eventually does a deal , it will be for a player that the rest of the team probally wants and will fit in as well.  Our Alstars of KG and PP are getting to old to carry the team ...we are gonna need a couple new Alstars to compete it appears.

Josh Smith.

Here's the latest on Josh Smith per ESPN:

Atlanta's Josh Smith has an expiring contract and an apparent fan in Magic Johnson, who playfully suggested during a Fantasy GM segment on Friday night's "NBA Countdown" show that he'd love to see the Lakers trade for Smith -- even if it meant surrendering Pau Gasol -- because L.A. so badly needs athletes.

Dwight Howard would surely learn to live with such a swap, too, given how close he and Smith are off the court, but there's precisely zero evidence in circulation to suggest it's anything other than a fun discussion for TV/entertainment purposes.

The distinct vibe you get when you ask around is that Smith will most likely finish the season in Atlanta, flashing onto your screens in adidas commercials when he’s not trying to sneak the Hawks into the playoffs and then proceeding to free agency in search of a new long-term deal. There's a benefit to holding off, since the longest in-season extension Smith could get with the Hawks is a three-year deal. The Hawks also appear intent on preserving as much cap flexibility as they can for a busy offseason.

So those concerned about the state of the Lakers, like Magic, should probably start looking elsewhere for saviors.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121102-04/weekend-dime-why-lebron-james-not-perfect-10

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'm not sure if I said this already. But outside of Paul, KG and Rondo, give the Warriors whoever they want and bring Bogut here.

Yes I also think Bogut would be a perfect fit in the middle for the Cs. He's restricted to 20 mins a game at the moment but should be back to normal by the time the playoffs start next year.

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

New Orleans just paid ~$13 mil (waiving Rashard) to get Okafor's contract off the books. I don't think he's the most expensive get, unless Washington values him inordinately.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
To me, the most likely guy to be available, and attainable for what the C's would offer is Millsap.

I think Utah could be interested in trading him for some of the pieces the C's have.  And he would certainly be an upgrade over the guys we are putting out there, but would he be enough?

Smith is also a possibility, and fits a big need with his defense, but I just think the asking price will be a lot higher for him, to the point where it won't make as much sense for the C's.

I agree.  He offers a pretty similar skillset to David West, and we know the C's were keen on adding that to this group. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
I've never been a Josh Smith fan, he's too much of a knucklehead on the court - has a bit too much TA in him.  But I gotta say, if their pick and role defense continues to stink, I'd love to see him in Boston just to provide weakside rotations to protect the rim. 

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We can't afford Okafor without giving up a lot. It would take 2 of Bass/Green/Lee. Okafor makes as much as Josh Smith and if we're going to give up assets for a big guy I'd like to nab a young borderline all-star rather than an old under-sized center.

Oh and I like Okafor. Good guy and a smart basketball player. Not a 13M player. At. All.

I would trade Bradley, Bass, And 2 first rounders for Gortat...Anyway that deal can work?

God that is tempting. Yeah I might but I'd like to keep Bradley if at all possible. I'd sooner trade Sullinger than Bradley.

I'd like to keep Bradley as well but you gotta give something up to get something in return. Will Bradley someday be better then lee? Maybe but would having lee/terry/barbosa and gortat be better than lee/terry/barbosa/Bradley and no center? Tempting enough for me I think. Tough call.

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yes I also think Bogut would be a perfect fit in the middle for the Cs. He's restricted to 20 mins a game at the moment but should be back to normal by the time the playoffs start next year.

Bogut would be a good target especially because the warriors have not been utilizing him at all. He played I think 18 minutes each game thus far.

With that being said my number one target would still be josh smith by far.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:35:35 PM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The problem was in the first game matching up with Miami's line up. Bass on Battier doesn't work well. And once KG went out, no one could protect the rim. Bass just doesn't cut it as a starting PF.

He did well last season, but they also had no choice and know one really new his game. He was better coming off the bench. Now people run at him, he tries to make a dribble move and he looses it. On D he's not quick enough to recover. It's why the pick and roll D sucks right now. And the guy coming in after him is Sully who is still learning the system and is has the same problems as Bass.

We need a quick PF. Big Al doesn't help. Smith is the ideal player for the system. People say he's a knuckle head on the court, but who has he played with that ever set him straight. He'd have KG,PP and Rondo, and even Terry.

Now it will take a 3 or 4 team trade with one of them having some extra money and young potential players to make that deal happen. I'd hate to give up Lee with AB's tendency for injury, and also that it looks bad that a team tried like crazy to get a young guy only to trade him a few months later.

But that being said if AB comes in like he did at the end of last season he's as good as Lee with Better D, but giving up some size. But I'd rather some how keep both. I think they fill each others weakness's .

So Bass/Melo/Barbosa/Joseph would be on the block right now. I know it doesn't quite match up for Smith's salary, but get a third team in there it could work.

« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Bradley returns healthy, would you be willing to trade Courtney Lee to Milwaukee for Drew Gooden?  (With the Celtics being hard-capped, they may need to send out another player who makes around the minimum.)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If Bradley returns healthy, would you be willing to trade Courtney Lee to Milwaukee for Drew Gooden?  (With the Celtics being hard-capped, they may need to send out another player who makes around the minimum.)

Bradley would net us more. People can hate me all they want, I love the kid but I'd trade Bradley in a heartbeat if we can get a legitimate star or near star in return. Courtney Lee is good enough defensively, he's no Bradley I get it, but his offense is no Bradley either, he's better.

With that said, I'm not trading Bradley for Gooden. A worse defender, less intense KG, and less athletic, no thanks.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bradley is the kind of guy you package with a big expiring contract to bring in a player on a big contract who deserves that big contract.

I don't think you get good value for Bradley in a mid-season trade.  If you want to trade him, you wait until the off-season.  The exception might be if you want to use Pierce's salary in a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference