Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15362 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Would you trade for Carlos Boozer?

No.

I rather have a little less talent of a guy that will show up for the playoffs.

Carlos Boozer is proven to be spineless.  No thanks.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If they could pry Favors from Utah for a Bradley package

(a. Bradley, Bass, Wilcox, 1st rounder for Favors, Bell.
b. Bradley, Sully, Melo, Wilcox for Favors (Utah would have to make some cuts).)

this would help roster balance, with Lee and Terry signed for three years each.

I would be shocked if Utah trades Favors or Kanter for anything short of a young star.  That is their frontcourt of the future.

I think it is much more likely that either Jefferson or Millsap will be available.

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

b. Bradley, Sully, Melo, Wilcox for Favors (Utah would have to make some cuts).)

I think it would take a lot more than Bradley and SUlly to land favors... That kid is super talented.

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I would be shocked if Utah trades Favors or Kanter for anything short of a young star.  That is their frontcourt of the future.

I think it is much more likely that either Jefferson or Millsap will be available.

Yes Jefferson and Millsap are the available guys here.  I think Jefferson in particular.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To me, the most likely guy to be available, and attainable for what the C's would offer is Millsap.

I think Utah could be interested in trading him for some of the pieces the C's have.  And he would certainly be an upgrade over the guys we are putting out there, but would he be enough?

Smith is also a possibility, and fits a big need with his defense, but I just think the asking price will be a lot higher for him, to the point where it won't make as much sense for the C's.

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The SG situation is going to be hard to manage when AB gets back: Lee, Terry, AB, Barbosa fighting for 58 minutes. Any two of them can reasonably take all of those minutes, which wouldn't be a problem if they were an option at SF (they aren't range from too small, to way too small), but with Green and PP, none of them should see SF minutes.

I sort of feel like the optimal scenario is to keep the roster as is to force Doc to play Sullinger, then if/when Bradley is back at 100%, flip Barbosa for a minimum-salary role-playing big.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It is quite clear to me that Sully and Darko can't be counted on to play center when kg is out of the game. They are much too slow footed to keep up with quicker guards like Wade and tonight with Ellis and Jennings.

Darko can come in handy against low post centers like Bynum and Howard, but other than that I see no reason he should get mins

Sully would look so much better in the starting lineup IMO because at least he would have KG protecting him.

I would be very interested in possibly picking up Emeka Okafor for Bass, Lee and filler. Bass,Lee,Collins and Joseph should come close to making the money work.

PG: Rondo     / Terry
SG: Bradley   / Barbosa
SF: PP        / Green
PF: Sully     / Wilcox
 C: KG        / Emeka

Wash already has Nene at center, so maybe there is a realistic chance to get Okafor ?

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jeff Green contract: ~9mil
Courtney Lee contract: ~5mil
Fab Melo Contract: ~1mil

Josh Smith contract: ~13.5mil

Green, Lee, Melo, and Picks for Smith

Rondo/Barbosa
Bradley/Terry
Pierce/Bass/Joseph
Smith/Sullinger/Wilcox
Garnett/Milicic/Collins

Makes sense in a lot of ways to me. Last time we were loaded with this much talent, we went out and got KG and Judas.

Pros for Boston:
1. Bradley guards Wade. Smith guards Lebron. Garnett guards Bosh. No other team in the NBA could shut down the Miami big 3 better than us.
2. Bass becomes a sixth man forward, and I think he would thrive there. He is very consistent and would provide bench scoring.
3. Clears up guard logjam once Bradley returns.

Pros for Atlanta:
1. Gets borderline star talent (Green), a scorer and defender, who would likely be their starting SG (Lee) and a FAB-ulous amount of potential.
2. Unloads Smith before he leaves for nothing.

EDIT: I'd also entertain the idea of swapping Sully for Melo, if it would get the deal done, but I'd rather not give him up.

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Green, Lee, Melo, and Picks for Smith

Rondo/Barbosa
Bradley/Terry
Pierce/Bass/Joseph
Smith/Sullinger/Wilcox
Garnett/Milicic/Collins

Makes sense in a lot of ways to me. Last time we were loaded with this much talent, we went out and got KG and Judas.

Pros for Boston:
1. Bradley guards Wade. Smith guards Lebron. Garnett guards Bosh. No other team in the NBA could shut down the Miami big 3 better than us.
2. Bass becomes a sixth man forward, and I think he would thrive there. He is very consistent and would provide bench scoring.
3. Clears up guard logjam once Bradley returns.

Pros for Atlanta:
1. Gets borderline star talent (Green), a scorer and defender, who would likely be their starting SG (Lee) and a FAB-ulous amount of potential.
2. Unloads Smith before he leaves for nothing.

EDIT: I'd also entertain the idea of swapping Sully for Melo, if it would get the deal done, but I'd rather not give him up.

So many things wrong with this idea. I like the idea of getting Smith. This isn't going to do it. First Atlanta isn't likely to take back all the salary for Smith. Second, Bass isn't a SF...at all. Third Atlanta can get better value for him. If nothing else I'm sure they'd love an expiring contract rather than taking on 4 years of Green and 4 of Lee. Green has shown nothing since heart surgery and most GMs (Ainge excluded) are wary.

I would give Atlanta Bass, Lee and picks for Smith. I don't think they'd take it but that is what I'd offer. I imagine they could get more elsewhere which is why I think the best idea for us is to wait and try to get him to come here title-chasing.

In the meantime I'd look at Paul Millsap. Millsap would come easier from a trading standpoint because his salary is easier to match. Bass and either Melo or Sully would make it work money wise but I suspect it would take a first rounder or even two for the Jazz to get interested. They are rebuilding and will probably try to move Millsap around the trade deadline. They also have tons of back court players and SFs right now so they might welcome Bass and Melo/Sully. I'd give up 2 firsts and Bass/Melo or a first with Bass/Sully. I'd really try not to give up 2 firsts though :)

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we are getting Josh Smith we would be giving up something significant like Bradley,Bass, and or 2 years draft picks.

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2012, 01:54:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If we are getting Josh Smith we would be giving up something significant like Bradley,Bass, and or 2 years draft picks.

I dont think that is a significant loss when we gain Josh Smith...

I would trade Bradley, Bass, And 2 first rounders for Gortat...Anyway that deal can work?

Rondo/Terry
Lee/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green
KG/Green/Suly
Gortat/Darko/Wilcox

Frees up more minutes for green off the bench (more effective in more minutes) and gives us a true center who can defend, rebound, and run the break.

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 02:07:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I dont think that is a significant loss when we gain Josh Smith...

I would trade Bradley, Bass, And 2 first rounders for Gortat...Anyway that deal can work?

Rondo/Terry
Lee/Terry/Barbosa
Pierce/Green
KG/Green/Suly
Gortat/Darko/Wilcox

Frees up more minutes for green off the bench (more effective in more minutes) and gives us a true center who can defend, rebound, and run the break.

Does that help them get past Miami in the East?

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It is quite clear to me that Sully and Darko can't be counted on to play center when kg is out of the game. They are much too slow footed to keep up with quicker guards like Wade and tonight with Ellis and Jennings.

Darko can come in handy against low post centers like Bynum and Howard, but other than that I see no reason he should get mins

Sully would look so much better in the starting lineup IMO because at least he would have KG protecting him.

I would be very interested in possibly picking up Emeka Okafor for Bass, Lee and filler. Bass,Lee,Collins and Joseph should come close to making the money work.

PG: Rondo     / Terry
SG: Bradley   / Barbosa
SF: PP        / Green
PF: Sully     / Wilcox
 C: KG        / Emeka

Wash already has Nene at center, so maybe there is a realistic chance to get Okafor ?
TP.  That's actually a solid idea.  The Wizards stink and Okafor is seen as "overpaid", but on a team like Boston he'd be perfect.  Kind of like a rich man's Perk.  I've always liked him.  I feel like he's destined to have a Marcus Camby type of career where for years everyone complains about how he's overpaid and a bum... but ultimately finds a home on a contender and is proven to be a very capable and solid defensive veteran big man. 

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 02:38:30 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
We can't afford Okafor without giving up a lot. It would take 2 of Bass/Green/Lee. Okafor makes as much as Josh Smith and if we're going to give up assets for a big guy I'd like to nab a young borderline all-star rather than an old under-sized center.

Oh and I like Okafor. Good guy and a smart basketball player. Not a 13M player. At. All.

God that is tempting. Yeah I might but I'd like to keep Bradley if at all possible. I'd sooner trade Sullinger than Bradley.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:55:24 AM by nostar »

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 04:20:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
We can't afford Okafor without giving up a lot. It would take 2 of Bass/Green/Lee. Okafor makes as much as Josh Smith and if we're going to give up assets for a big guy I'd like to nab a young borderline all-star rather than an old under-sized center.

Oh and I like Okafor. Good guy and a smart basketball player. Not a 13M player. At. All.
Yeah he makes a lot.. he makes about equal to Bass and Lee combined.  And if Avery Bradley is as good as people on this board suggest he is... Lee and Bass are totally expendable.