Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15400 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doc won't be playing any "bigs" except maybe Smith, so don't even ask for these so called bigs! Doc thinks the only way we win is by playing small ball. Instead of taking advantage of Mia's weaknesses (bigs & PG)! We constantly play Mia's way instead of forcing their hand!

Let's be honest, the Celtics do not have the big offensive threat down low to take advantage of that weakness. 

And the real big men are too slow to keep up with the players the Heat are using at C and PF.  (except KG)

I don't like it either, but I think Doc's hands are tied at the moment. 

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Doc won't be playing any "bigs" except maybe Smith, so don't even ask for these so called bigs! Doc thinks the only way we win is by playing small ball. Instead of taking advantage of Mia's weaknesses (bigs & PG)! We constantly play Mia's way instead of forcing their hand!

Let's be honest, the Celtics do not have the big offensive threat down low to take advantage of that weakness. 

And the real big men are too slow to keep up with the players the Heat are using at C and PF.  (except KG)

I don't like it either, but I think Doc's hands are tied at the moment.

You can punish them with 6 hard fouls from Darko and by being a menace on the glass. A 7 footer automatically will have reach advantage on some 6'6 wing player trying to rebound. I'd love to see Lebron try and post up Collins, Darko, or KG. It will never happen. Similar to Wade they only go in the post against smaller defenders. Doc as usual obliges putting smaller guys on them.

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Bulls can't sign Taj Gibson to an extension and decide to trade him, would you be willing to trade for him, with the understanding that you need to give him at least $10m/year in the future to keep him, and if so, what would you be willing to give up for him?  I doubt it will happen and I doubt the Celtics can outbid all other teams, but I am interested in what people would be willing to do.

I don't think Boston have anything good enough to tempt Chicago here. Bass isn't good enough. Jeff Green doesn't have too much value with Luol Deng already there. Avery Bradley, maybe, feels like a long shot though. Maybe if those contract extensions bottom out they may consider Courtney Lee as a long term replacement for Rip Hamilton. Sounds questionable / unlikely.

$10 million sounds high. I think they should be able to get him for closer to $8 million which I would happy to pay.

The whole point of my scenario is that Gibson reportedly wants $10m/year and the Bulls want to give him around $2m/year less, so they trade him because he is holding out for an amount they find completely unacceptable and they think someone will give it to him as a restricted free agent but they don't want to match.

So, what would you be willing to offer, knowing that Gibson is probably a one-year rental unless you are willing to probably overpay to lock him up?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'd love to see Lebron try and post up Collins, Darko, or KG.

Do you want to see Collins/Darko trying to defend Lebron out to the 3-pt line?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Not necessarily. But I'd live with Lebron out there instead of in the post. Having a center in at all times would be a welcome change. Bass usually holds his own against Lebron whenever they matched up. And Jeff Green was outstanding last night few minutes he was on Wade.

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not necessarily. But I'd live with Lebron out there instead of in the post. Having a center in at all times would be a welcome change. Bass usually holds his own against Lebron whenever they matched up. And Jeff Green was outstanding last night few minutes he was on Wade.
You really think he'd stay outside if Darko's guarding him? He drives with success on most perimeter players, let alone a center. There's a reason why we aren't doing this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If the Bulls can't sign Taj Gibson to an extension and decide to trade him, would you be willing to trade for him, with the understanding that you need to give him at least $10m/year in the future to keep him, and if so, what would you be willing to give up for him?  I doubt it will happen and I doubt the Celtics can outbid all other teams, but I am interested in what people would be willing to do.

I don't think Boston have anything good enough to tempt Chicago here. Bass isn't good enough. Jeff Green doesn't have too much value with Luol Deng already there. Avery Bradley, maybe, feels like a long shot though. Maybe if those contract extensions bottom out they may consider Courtney Lee as a long term replacement for Rip Hamilton. Sounds questionable / unlikely.

$10 million sounds high. I think they should be able to get him for closer to $8 million which I would happy to pay.

The whole point of my scenario is that Gibson reportedly wants $10m/year and the Bulls want to give him around $2m/year less, so they trade him because he is holding out for an amount they find completely unacceptable and they think someone will give it to him as a restricted free agent but they don't want to match.

So, what would you be willing to offer, knowing that Gibson is probably a one-year rental unless you are willing to probably overpay to lock him up?
I think he'll sign for around $8 million with Chicago.

But if he doesn't ...

Not willing to give up Bradley. I want to see more of him before I'd consider trading him for a player like Taj Gibson. Only willing to move Bradley for someone with star talent at this point.

Happy to part with Jeff Green for Gibson. Or Bass. Or Courtney Lee. Or some combination of the three. I would be reluctant but willing to include Fab Melo in the trade as a sweetener. Sullinger? Yeah, probably so. I imagine the package would be something like Courtney Lee + 2-3 additional assets of either young players or draft picks (late firsts and/or maybe early an second).

Would I make that trade for a one-year rental? Or sign Gibson to a $10 mil a year extension? I wouldn't give an extension now anyway. I'd let it play out into restricted free agency and try to get him cheaper which has a strong chance of happening. I am comfortable taking that risk. Yeah, I'd trade for Gibson believing I can get him cheaper due to his restricted free agency.

It wouldn't be a first option type move but if other moves were unavailable, I would be willing to pay that price and take the risk on Gibson's contract in restricted free agency.

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

You really think he'd stay outside if Darko's guarding him? He drives with success on most perimeter players, let alone a center. There's a reason why we aren't doing this.

Darko is center. last I checked Lebron isn't. All I'm saying we need a Center in at all times.

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Gibson would definitely be nice, but it's hard to see Chicago moving him without getting a quality defender/rebounder in return (which we don't have to offer).  Thibs will play Noah for 48mpg if he's the only capable big man defender on the team. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Darko is center. last I checked Lebron isn't. All I'm saying we need a Center in at all times.
No, what you said is that you'd like to see LeBron posting the center, which can't happen unless the center is actually guarding him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I agree, IF Green can't guard LBJ and at least do something useful with his salary...might as well take that money and play the BIG man game like the Lakers.  LA has TWO 7 foot players in the GAME all the time.   LBJ is freak  for his size and speed. Can't buy or find another LBJ,  but we can get TWO very high calibre BIGS to contain him around the bucket , BLOCK HIM OUT and GET A rebound for once.

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Would you trade for Carlos Boozer?

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would you trade for Carlos Boozer?

No.

I rather have a little less talent of a guy that will show up for the playoffs.

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think they either need a Center with a post game (Jefferson?) or a dynamic PF (Smith.)

The problem right now is the roster depth is great, but the fit is terrible. Reminds me of a talented version of the 07 team. They need to consolidate some of the depth and establish fit.

The SG situation is going to be hard to manage when AB gets back: Lee, Terry, AB, Barbosa fighting for 58 minutes. Any two of them can reasonably take all of those minutes, which wouldn't be a problem if they were an option at SF (they aren't range from too small, to way too small), but with Green and PP, none of them should see SF minutes.

KG is a C. If you didn't get that memo last year, sorry. But it's where he's going to play outside of a starting caliber center with a good post game coming to the team. Even then he'd still play a lot of C.

PF situation is a mess too: Bass, Wilcox, Sullinger all need minutes to get going. But with two small forwards playing at times, that crunch is harder. Playing these guys at C isn't a great option either.

In terms of trades, things get difficult. I'm assuming Danny is not trading KG, Pierce, or Rondo. There's certainly no promise of that, but it just seems unlikely. Everyone else is move-able. Seems like AB is the best young guy teams might like, but probably they want to see he's recovered. Sullinger could play himself into trade bait. Someone might just like Melo. In terms of salaries, it would be weird to see Lee, Terry, Bass, or Green get moved. But if they pull a trade off, one, maybe two of them have to be involved.

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
If they could pry Favors from Utah for a Bradley package

(a. Bradley, Bass, Wilcox, 1st rounder for Favors, Bell.
b. Bradley, Sully, Melo, Wilcox for Favors (Utah would have to make some cuts).)

this would help roster balance, with Lee and Terry signed for three years each.