Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15401 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Varejao would be great but I don't think he gets on with KG, they're like yin and yang. In a perfect world I would suggest Andrew Bogut, but he makes too much coin at the moment ($16m?) plus it would need a roll of the dice on how his ankle surgery turns out.

They just gave up a bunch of goodies for Bogut. I don't think it's possible.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »

fitzhickey

Tiago splitter or Bismack biyombo

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Dirk is not coming to Boston. No way. Probably not even if Rondo was included.

Would love Milsap or Smith for the right price. Really can't see us moving Lee after we talked him into coming for less money.

Bass, Fab, Avery, Fillers, and picks for Smith.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
We need a mobile big man that can defend the pick and roll and also be a rebounder shot blocking presence when KG is out of the game. Darko will be decent against guys like bynum,but can't stay with Bosh and pick and roll defense is questionable

Josh Smith would be my first choice, I would give up green, sully and filler.

Varajeo would also be great next to kg and when kg takes a break

if we can't get an impact starting big man then at least bring in some like Chris Andersen(if he is clear of legal trouble) or even ben wallace to protect the rim. There's no way we are getting away with playing sully or bass at second string center against miami.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We need a mobile big man that can defend the pick and roll and also be a rebounder shot blocking presence when KG is out of the game. Darko will be decent against guys like bynum,but can't stay with Bosh and pick and roll defense is questionable

if we can't get an impact starting big man then at least bring in some like Chris Andersen(if he is clear of legal trouble) or even ben wallace to protect the rim. There's no way we are getting away with playing sully or bass at second string center against miami.
Can't we take back 150% salary?  Does a combo of Bass (6 mil), Sully (1.3 mil), Bradley (1.6 mil) and Melo (1.2 mil) ... Total 10.1 mil...  for Josh Smith (13.2 mil) work financially?

I don't think we could make that trade until Dec 15th, but it seems like it would be our best offer.  I'd be fine with hanging onto Jeff Green and I think Courtney Lee is better than Bradley anyways.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Can't we take back 150% salary?  Does a combo of Bass (6 mil), Sully (1.3 mil), Bradley (1.6 mil) and Melo (1.2 mil) ... Total 10.1 mil...  for Josh Smith (13.2 mil) work financially?

I don't think we could make that trade until Dec 15th, but it seems like it would be our best offer.  I'd be fine with hanging onto Jeff Green and I think Courtney Lee is better than Bradley anyways.

I believe we are only about a mil or so under the tax threshold.  Any trade we make can only have that amount more coming in.

Rather limits us in trades, in a way.  Mostly it means if we have to send mutliple players out, we have to have at least 13 players after the trade or an ability to sign players up to 13.

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:58:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Varejao makes perefect financial sense.  Bass and either Sully or Bradley would do it.

I just wonder whether or not Cleveland is willing to move a fan favorite, and how much they would ask for if they were.

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 01:09:27 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm pushing for a Green/Bass/Pick for Josh Smith trade. Would help the pick n roll defense immensely and Smith is actually a great low post scoring threat. Something we havent had in a while.

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Varejao makes perefect financial sense.  Bass and either Sully or Bradley would do it.

I just wonder whether or not Cleveland is willing to move a fan favorite, and how much they would ask for if they were.
I don't think Cleveland would have much interest in Bradley with Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters there. Or Bass/Sully with Tristan Thompson (their PF of the future) there. Not worth sacrificing Varejao for a backup PF.

I think it would need to be Jeff Green to attract their interest.

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I don't think Cleveland would have much interest in Bradley with Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters there. Or Bass/Sully with Tristan Thompson (their PF of the future) there. Not worth sacrificing Varejao for a backup PF.

I think it would need to be Jeff Green to attract their interest.

I'd be all over a Jeff Green/Varejao swap if we could get Pietrus back.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Bulls can't sign Taj Gibson to an extension and decide to trade him, would you be willing to trade for him, with the understanding that you need to give him at least $10m/year in the future to keep him, and if so, what would you be willing to give up for him?  I doubt it will happen and I doubt the Celtics can outbid all other teams, but I am interested in what people would be willing to do.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:22 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Doc won't be playing any "bigs" except maybe Smith, so don't even ask for these so called bigs! Doc thinks the only way we win is by playing small ball. Instead of taking advantage of Mia's weaknesses (bigs & PG)! We constantly play Mia's way instead of forcing their hand!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If the Bulls can't sign Taj Gibson to an extension and decide to trade him, would you be willing to trade for him, with the understanding that you need to give him at least $10m/year in the future to keep him, and if so, what would you be willing to give up for him?  I doubt it will happen and I doubt the Celtics can outbid all other teams, but I am interested in what people would be willing to do.

I don't think Boston have anything good enough to tempt Chicago here. Bass isn't good enough. Jeff Green doesn't have too much value with Luol Deng already there. Avery Bradley, maybe, feels like a long shot though. Maybe if those contract extensions bottom out they may consider Courtney Lee as a long term replacement for Rip Hamilton. Sounds questionable / unlikely.

$10 million sounds high. I think they should be able to get him for closer to $8 million which I would happy to pay.

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My dream is still that Hortford demands a trade and Atlanta falls in love with Green and Melo. 

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Doc won't be playing any "bigs" except maybe Smith, so don't even ask for these so called bigs! Doc thinks the only way we win is by playing small ball. Instead of taking advantage of Mia's weaknesses (bigs & PG)! We constantly play Mia's way instead of forcing their hand!
Don't forget Doc caused Hurricane Sandy and is personally responsible for the sutuation in Egypt.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."