Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15439 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This is the final year of Big Al's contract.  It's not a bad contract.  He makes 15 mil this year.  Utah might not have any long-term plans for him since they have Favors and Kanter as their future bigs.  That makes Big Al pretty available mid-season, if you ask me.  If Utah doesn't intend to re-sign him, they might want to get some assets for him before Al expires.  Like that Utah fan suggested... possibly for a package as small as Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass.

Utah should try to hold out for a young player, a first-round draft pick, and salaries to make the deal work.  If I were them, I would ask for Bradley and the Celtics' 2014 first round pick that has at most top three lottery protection.  The question is whether or not a team wants to take on 3-4 years of a player like Bass, Lee, or Green.  It makes more sense for the Celtics, who have a core in place, to have those complimentary players locked up in long-term deals.  It makes less sense for Utah, which despite not being seen as a free agent destination seems interested in clearing cap space to chase some players in the 2013 off-season.

I think Jefferson being bought out after the trade deadline because no one will meet the high price and being willing to come back to Boston is more likely than a trade as a way for Big Al to be back in Green.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Dirk for some young players, picks and salary stuffers?

Dallas haven't got a hope this year.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
My Trade Idea (Not sure if the money would work)

Celtics:
Josh Smith
Mike Scott

Hawks:
Tyler Zeller
Fab Melo
Chris Wilcox
Celtics 1st round pick
Cavaliers 2nd round pick

Cavaliers:
Brandon Bass
Avery Bradley

Celtics get Josh Smith. He can help in so many ways and a huge upgrade at the starting power foward spot. Yes, we do give up alot to get him but even after the trade we have great depth. Josh Smith is the piece that can put us into the elite catergory with LA, Miami, and OKC.

Hawks get two young centers who could be good and pretty much two 1st round picks to help rebuild. Also, they keep cap space. Gettting two players like Fab Melo and Tyler Zeller + 2 first round picks while keeping cap space for a player that might leave anyway, seems like a good deal.

The Cavaliers also get a pretty good deal. They get a veteran PF. Also, they get Avery Bradley that may turn into a very valuable player. He can start at the SG and have Dion Waiters come off the bench like he did at Syracuse. It can be like the Thunder starting the defensive Sefolosha over Harden. I think this trade makes Cleveland better.

If this trade doesn't work:

Celtics:
Paul Millsap

Jazz:
Brandon Bass
Leandro Barbosa
1st round pick

I'm not sure what Utah wants for Millsap but the get a pretty good power foward, a pick, and more minute for Favors. We get an upgrade at the 4, a player that scored 46 points against the Miami Heat in 2010.

Rondo/Terry
Lee/Barbosa
Pierce/Green
Smith/Sullinger
Garnett/Milicic

Or

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/Green
Millsap/Sullinger
Garnett/Milicic

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Varejao makes the most sense. His salary isn't too hard to fit into our salary restrictions, he's extremely well-regarded by Doc Rivers, and his skill-set is a great fit for the team.

His injury history does make me queasy about giving up a lot for him - say Bass/Bradley/Melo or Lee/Sully/Melo- but I still think he's the most likely target.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not a fan of Varejao, but I understand why some people like him.  Seems like a capable rebounder and alright defender. 

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

yup...this might be a  good one/two shot deal at stomping the heat.  Sacfrice bunch of good young players to hang a banner.

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

yup...this might be a  good one/two shot deal at stomping the heat.  Sacfrice bunch of good young players to hang a banner.

He has one of the few no-trade clauses... if he agrees is only way he will leave there.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Jeff Green can't be traded until after this season (when his Bird Rights vest).

That's not the rule at all.  Players who will have their Bird or early Bird rights can't be traded without their consent if they are on a one-year contract.  Green is not on a one-year contract.

He _would_ have been on a one-year contract last year if he had not failed his physical and would have been untradable as his Bird rights vested.  But he never played that season and the C's waived him so they never vested.   He technically should have been an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Yet the C's just signed him to a contract that was way over their salary cap.   

The only way they could have done that is if the league granted them an exception - treating Green's contract as if they had Bird rights already.  I've heard from various sources that the deal includes that they can't trade him without his permission until after his Bird rights have actually vested.   Note that the amount (9M) is the same as the qualifying offer that they gave him to assert their RFA rights the prior season. 

Basically, it looks like this season is a reset of where Green would have been last season, with a built-in extension to follow.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 11:53:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics never waived Green.  They withdrew their qualifying offer, voiding the contract, but they retained his Bird rights, which they already had.

Have you heard that Green is untradeable from a source that is more reliable than a random poster on the RealGM forums?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

He has one of the few no-trade clauses... if he agrees is only way he will leave there.

Dirk agreeing to move to a contender and win rings is not the issue...Its getting the organisation to agree that would be the major hurdle.

Massive long shot, but stranger things have happened.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jeff Green can't be traded until after this season (when his Bird Rights vest).  Otherwise, yeah, the other salaries are technically trade-able (after mid-season FA thresholds are past for a couple of them).

Do you have a link for this?  I haven't heard anything about this.

It would seem to me his Bird Rights should already be vested.  We used Bird Rights to sign him, and he has a 4 year contract.  I can't see how a voided 1 year contract and rescinded QO would bear any relevance.

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 04:50:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm not a fan of Varejao, but I understand why some people like him.  Seems like a capable rebounder and alright defender.

He's slightly over rated but he hustles and runs the floor better than pretty much any big man in the NBA. Good rebounder too and can defend in the low post. Would be great to go up against Bynum/Chandler/Noah and then Gasol/Dwight.

I think Big Al or Millsap would be great because KG can make up for their defensive inefficiencies and all they'd have to do against Miami is protect the rim against Lebron and Wade trying to get to the hole when Bosh steps out and brings KG with him.
Of course we could also hope that Bass improves his basket protection this year, but his length is very questionable.
Darko will be great for this in the playoffs- Collins too.
Poor KG does need help and I do think we have stock piled a bunch of guards to make a move for an impact big.

Hopefully it's a big man that can patrol/enforce/protect the basket and also go to work on offense in the post 1v1 when KG or Bass steps out to shoot the long jumpshot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:39:00 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The Celtics never waived Green.  They withdrew their qualifying offer, voiding the contract, but they retained his Bird rights, which they already had.

Have you heard that Green is untradeable from a source that is more reliable than a random poster on the RealGM forums?

Yeah, I caught Roy's post in the other thread.  If he was not waived then he was not an UFA and we'd have retained rights.

I do have this from what I consider a reliable source, but it is not one I have a link or quote from as it is a real person contact.   He is in a position to know about this and was adamant that Green can't be traded - but that's all I've got from him so far.   I have been trying to figure out the technical reason behind what he told me.

IF we had Bird Rights, then all the surface details point to a Jan 15 trade eligible date.   It bugs me that I can't figure this out.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Just saw the news on the Harden trade. I'm betting Ferry had his eye on him for free agency to pair with Horford. He still probably does as I don't expect Harden is gonna be in a rush to sign an extension but it does make it difficult for Ferry. And since Smith won't be signing any extensions in ATL any soon they stand to lose Smith for nothing all while the picking in Free Agency after Harden are very slim. It makes more sense for Ferry to definitely move Smith for any young players and/or tradeable assets that he can get his hands on. His rosters save for Horford, Teague and Lou Williams is gonna be nothing unless he adds some talent.

So the question is now, who has the assets to trade for Smith, and who can afford to resign him after that?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Varejao would be great but I don't think he gets on with KG, they're like yin and yang. In a perfect world I would suggest Andrew Bogut, but he makes too much coin at the moment ($16m?) plus it would need a roll of the dice on how his ankle surgery turns out.