Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15449 times)

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Smith Jefferson and millsaps names are all bound to come up many times before the trade deadline. I can see us using a bass, Bradley, filler mult picks package to land a bigger fish especially if sully pans out.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
i'd love to get millsap. major upgrade over bass.

bradley and bass for millsap works.

If Millsap is available because Utah has a surplus of bigs, I think you'd have to offer them a package that does not include another big locked up for a few more years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Since Green can't be traded this year

As far as I can tell, Green can be traded after January 15.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm going to wait until I know we actually need a legit bigman before I put in trade proposals.

If everything is going the way we want it too, why would we make any trades?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:22:20 PM by MJohnnyboy »

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
This roster is being constructed to beat the Heat. Any "bigman" they trade for will have to be somebody mobile enough to guard LeBron part-time. Big Al does not fit that bill. Josh Smith does. If the C's could throw a combination of Pierce, Green, and Smith at LeBron defensively, that would be pretty effective.

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No on Josh Smith. I understand he's really good, borderline All-Star but I'm not really high on him. I think Jeff Green can do the stuff he does, minus the shot blocking.

AL Jefferson is a bad contract and a black hole, pass.

The name I'd really like is Spencer Hawes. He's not a big household name but with Bynum on board Philly, I think he could be had for the right price.

While he's not a dominant defender, he's solid enough. Good rebounder and a very underrated mid range game, he can shoot from 20 feet. And the fact that he's only 24 and still has room to grow will be a great addition.

I understand he's no All-Star name, but with what we have at our expense, and with what he can bring for us, it'll be great.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
The name I'd really like is Spencer Hawes. He's not a big household name but with Bynum on board Philly, I think he could be had for the right price.
Bass for Hawes could make some sense for Philly.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Tyrus Thomas!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Tyrus Thomas!!!
I'd love to see Tyrus Thomas as this team's starting PF instead of Bass.

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
A realistic big man target would be whatever minimum salary guy you think can be acquired for Barbosa if he becomes expendable due to a healthy Bradley.

The math just makes it seem unlikely that the Celtics can acquire a quality big making a significant salary.  The thing that would change that is a player making more than the minimum being injured so severely that he is effectively trade ballast only being included to make salaries match up.

Why wouldn't the math work out?

Bass makes 6 mil.  Terry and Lee are both making 5 mil each.  Can't we take back 150% salary?

There's options. Pierce (16.7 mil) for Big Al (15 mil) straight up would work.  Jeff Green (9 mil) could be traded... I think landing a quality big is important.  Trading a min contract Barbosa (solid backup) for a min contract big (some crap player) doesn't solve the issue.

Jeff Green can't be traded until after this season (when his Bird Rights vest).  Otherwise, yeah, the other salaries are technically trade-able (after mid-season FA thresholds are past for a couple of them).   

How much salary we can take back depends on the cap status of both teams and also on how far under the hard cap.  For example, even if a trade scenario by itself allowed us to bring back 3M more than we sent out - that would push us over the hard cap.   At this point, after adding Barbosa, I think we can only afford to bring back about 1M more than we send out.

Bass and Lee are probably the most movable.  Their contracts are modest and they are young.

That said, I don't expect any such move unless the team stinks up the joint or someone important gets injured.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
all ex wizard players are potiental...all were good quality players not properly trained or introduced to NBA or allowed to mature correct.   All will play better under Doc Rivers

Bass /Green /? for  Josh Smith

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
all ex wizard players are potiental...all were good quality players not properly trained or introduced to NBA or allowed to mature correct.   All will play better under Doc Rivers

1.We can't trade Green this season. His contract prevents it from happening.
2.Atlanta would not accept lesser players on longer contracts for a borderline all-star on an expiring contract. Any sensible team would prefer cap space being open over it being filled by role players. Considering Atlanta just got rid of JJ for scraps, they would be doing the exact opposite by getting rid of JSmoove.
3.Most importantly, why would we trade guys who just signed with us?! The whole point of Bass and Green coming back and Lee coming here was to prove to younger players that Boston is an attractive destination. Trading them basically destroys that notion.

People, we are FINE the way we are. Unless there is a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed during the season, we don't need to make any modifications to this roster.

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

1.We can't trade Green this season. His contract prevents it from happening.
2.Atlanta would not accept lesser players on longer contracts for a borderline all-star on an expiring contract. Any sensible team would prefer cap space being open over it being filled by role players. Considering Atlanta just got rid of JJ for scraps, they would be doing the exact opposite by getting rid of JSmoove.
3.Most importantly, why would we trade guys who just signed with us?! The whole point of Bass and Green coming back and Lee coming here was to prove to younger players that Boston is an attractive destination. Trading them basically destroys that notion.

People, we are FINE the way we are. Unless there is a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed during the season, we don't need to make any modifications to this roster.

I am pretty sure Green can be traded after January 15th.  Agree on item 2 though.

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No on Josh Smith. I understand he's really good, borderline All-Star but I'm not really high on him. I think Jeff Green can do the stuff he does, minus the shot blocking.

AL Jefferson is a bad contract and a black hole, pass.

While he's not a dominant defender, he's solid enough. Good rebounder and a very underrated mid range game, he can shoot from 20 feet. And the fact that he's only 24 and still has room to grow will be a great addition.

I understand he's no All-Star name, but with what we have at our expense, and with what he can bring for us, it'll be great.

This is the final year of Big Al's contract.  It's not a bad contract.  He makes 15 mil this year.  Utah might not have any long-term plans for him since they have Favors and Kanter as their future bigs.  That makes Big Al pretty available mid-season, if you ask me.  If Utah doesn't intend to re-sign him, they might want to get some assets for him before Al expires.  Like that Utah fan suggested... possibly for a package as small as Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass.

Then maybe you can re-sign him in the offseason to a reasonable contract.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Jeff Green can't be traded until after this season (when his Bird Rights vest).

That's not the rule at all.  Players who will have their Bird or early Bird rights can't be traded without their consent if they are on a one-year contract.  Green is not on a one-year contract.