Author Topic: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?  (Read 15416 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't get the roster.  Especially when Bradley comes back.  Here's how I see it

Point Guards:

Rondo - Top 5 PG in the world.  Excellent
... ?

Shooting Guards

Terry - Good undersized scorer off the bench.
Barbosa - Good undersized scorer off the bench.
Lee - Average fringe starter
Bradley - Unproven undersized defender with potential

Small Forwards
Pierce - Solid, but old. Fringe all-star at his age
JEff Green - Starter-caliber backup getting paid starter money

Power Forwards
KG - 37 years old, but played like an MVP candidate last year
Bass - Solid backup
Sullinger - Unproven and undersized.  Backup and future fringe starter
Darko - bleh
Wilcox - bleh

Maybe it all works out.  Maybe it doesn't.... Seems to me we are shooting guard heavy and could use a impact big to put next to KG. 

Who are the likely mid-season targets?

Josh Smith is the obvious choice since he isn't re-signing in Atlanta and some combo of 1st rounders, shooting guards and young prospects could theoretically make Atlanta bite.

I'm gonna go out on the limb and say Al Jefferson is another obvious target.  With the way 20 year old Enes Kanter and 21 year old Favors are playing in the pre-season... those two are clearly the future bigs in Utah.  Millisap makes 8.6 mil.  Big Al makes a bloated 15 mil this year... both of those guys are free agents at the end of the year.  Do they both factor into Utah's long term thinking?

Re: Who are some mid-season legit bigman targets? Josh Smith? Big Al?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A realistic big man target would be whatever minimum salary guy you think can be acquired for Barbosa if he becomes expendable due to a healthy Bradley.

The math just makes it seem unlikely that the Celtics can acquire a quality big making a significant salary.  The thing that would change that is a player making more than the minimum being injured so severely that he is effectively trade ballast only being included to make salaries match up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:53 AM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
A realistic big man target would be whatever minimum salary guy you think can be acquired for Barbosa if he becomes expendable due to a healthy Bradley.

The math just makes it seem unlikely that the Celtics can acquire a quality big making a significant salary.  The thing that would change that is a player making more than the minimum being injured so severely that he is effectively trade ballast only being included to make salaries match up.

This.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Why wouldn't the math work out?

Bass makes 6 mil.  Terry and Lee are both making 5 mil each.  Can't we take back 150% salary?

There's options. Pierce (16.7 mil) for Big Al (15 mil) straight up would work.  Jeff Green (9 mil) could be traded... I think landing a quality big is important.  Trading a min contract Barbosa (solid backup) for a min contract big (some crap player) doesn't solve the issue.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:19:47 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18:00 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Sullinger is a future fringe starter?

And what, Bradley's a potentially effective on-ball defender?

Please. Average starter at worst. Wait til he just starts stroking it from mid-range with a super cool demeanor. Not saying he'll come out of the gate shooting and making lots of jumpers, but it's coming. Offensive nightmare to gameplan for is his basement.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Sullinger is a future fringe starter?

And what, Bradley's a potentially effective on-ball defender?

Please. Average starter at worst. Wait til he just starts stroking it from mid-range with a super cool demeanor. Not saying he'll come out of the gate shooting and making lots of jumpers, but it's coming. Offensive nightmare to gameplan for is his basement.

Maybe if Utah intends to keep Big Al, we should target one of their young bigs (Kanter or Favors)... although we'd have to give up a lot more than just Avery Bradley for Utah to part with one of those studs.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:32:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It's funny...  I just checked a Utah forum and found a Utah fan saying this:

I like Jefferson commitment with the team, and its sad for him but Millsap is more versatile, can play with either Kanter or Favors and will be cheaper than Big Al.

So it's crystal clear for me, Jefferson needs to go before trade deadline.

I'd try to make a deal with Boston, they could very well use Big Al, and they can send over something like Bass+Courtney Lee, or so, Lee would be awesome for Utah, and Bass is a serviciable player and his contract it's fine.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Houston might indeed chuckle at Sully for Favors right now, but let's see what kind of numbers Jared is putting up closer to the trade deadline.  I think there's a good chance that this proposal may not seem quite as laughable at that point. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:47:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the most realistic opportunity I'd love is Varejao.  Makes about 8m, I think?

Would be a nightmare on defense with KG, and is a superb offensive rebounder.

I believe Bass and Sully or Bradley, with some pick(s) thrown in, might get Cleveland to think and works easily money wise.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:47 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Bass makes 6 mil.  Terry and Lee are both making 5 mil each.  Can't we take back 150% salary?

The Celtics are also facing a hard cap because the team used the full MLE and are close enough to it that they are probably only doing a trade where they have less salary coming in than going out.

If I were going to be realistic about suggesting trades, I would work under the assumption that Ainge isn't trading Rondo, Garnett, Pierce, Bass, Terry, Green, or Bradley unless he is being offered a ridiculously lopsided deal.  The exception is if the team is doing so poorly or is so injured that Ainge is in blow-it-up or hail-mary-trade-to-salvage-the-season mode or if a player is a locker room problem who the team is willing to practically give away.

I could see Lee getting way fewer minutes than he expected and becoming unhappy enough to embrace a trade, so I'd look for someone who has around the same salary or a bit less, perhaps an under-performing former lottery pick who has failed to crack his team's starting lineup but who you think would do better in the Celtics system.  I'd abandon the idea of acquiring a veteran with a track record of being an above average starter.  If that's what you want, you are better off hoping that a player with an expiring contract is bought out and wants to be a Celtic.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:25:49 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
It's funny...  I just checked a Utah forum and found a Utah fan saying this:

I like Jefferson commitment with the team, and its sad for him but Millsap is more versatile, can play with either Kanter or Favors and will be cheaper than Big Al.

So it's crystal clear for me, Jefferson needs to go before trade deadline.

I'd try to make a deal with Boston, they could very well use Big Al, and they can send over something like Bass+Courtney Lee, or so, Lee would be awesome for Utah, and Bass is a serviciable player and his contract it's fine.

I'd rather not give them CLee.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There's options. Pierce (16.7 mil) for Big Al (15 mil) straight up would work.  Jeff Green (9 mil) could be traded... I think landing a quality big is important.  Trading a min contract Barbosa (solid backup) for a min contract big (some crap player) doesn't solve the issue.

First of all, whether you like it or not, KG's playing center now, and he's a perfectly adequate center. Secondly I don't think we can take on salary because we have to be under a certain dollar amount in order to pay Terry what we did.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Power Forwards
KG - 37 years old, but played like an MVP candidate last year

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Since Green can't be traded this year the most we can offer is a package of

Bass + Bradley
Lee + Sullinger
Bass, Sullinger and Bradley
Bass, Lee       and Bradley

The last 2 would leave us short at the sg spot so unless we are also getting a decent sg guard along with a upgrade at big man then it wouldn't make much sense.

Big man targets around 7-10 mil
Gortat
Millsap
Varajeo

I would love Gortat or Varajeo on this team if we could get them for a package of Lee or bradley and Bass

PG: Rondo                / Terry   
SG: Bradley or lee       / Barbosa
SF: PP                   / Green
PF: KG                   / Sully
 C: Gortat or Varajeo    / Darko

That would be a great front court without giving up our depth at the SG spot .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:54:32 AM by rondohondo »

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
i'd love to get millsap. major upgrade over bass.

bradley and bass for millsap works.