Author Topic: L.A. Lakers NOT a top 5 team!!  (Read 21732 times)

Re: L.A. Lakers NOT a top 5 team!!
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think they are in worse trouble than us....yes, they are missing Nash, but they really don't look good - and they've had a lot of home games.  They were expected to contend with and likely beat OKC for the Western crown, whereas much less expected of us.   Still very early, but they have some big issues to solve....which doesn't make me unhappy.

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can't say they're in worse trouble because they have Howard, even if this current team doesn't ever "work" they can rebuild/retool around an MVP caliber young center.

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
They now got Howard , for nothing, by dumping a crippled player , with a poor team attitude and TWO bad legs for the best Center in the NBA ?  AS always the Lakers are allowed to pull off stunts like this.  If it had been the Celtics who had Bynum in the shape he was in , we couldn't have got JO Neal as trade for him much less Howard.

Lakers simply decide what player they want , and then force their will to get that player EVEN if he really didn't want to be there.

Lakers still rely on Kobe when it comes down to it. Mentally is is 1000X tuffer than our Jeff Green. He can carry the team pretty much anytime he chooses. At least for this year and maybe next.

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't say they're in worse trouble because they have Howard, even if this current team doesn't ever "work" they can rebuild/retool around an MVP caliber young center.

Yeah, at some point they have to get wise and just try to build a more talented version of what Howard had with the Magic (i.e. a lot of shooters and a couple of penetrating playmakers who are also shooters).

When you have a center like Howard, you're really wasting your best asset if you don't just focus on making a team that's really strong on defense and shot happy from three on the other end.  Howard's going to get a lot of the rebounds and slam them home, and he can anchor a very stingy defense. 

The Magic game plan with Howard and SVG was a solid blueprint to success.  That's how they reached the Finals (that, and KG's knee).  They just got derailed because a lot of their key players got old, management tried too hard to tinker with a good thing, and Howard's impending free agency became a huge distraction.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just wanted to give a little bump to the "Misery Loves Company" thread.

9 and 11 right now for the Lakers.  Anyone still think they'll get 70?  How many coaches will they have to go through this year to find the right one for their roster?  How much will Stevie and Pau help?  Are they "what they are," or are they better than what they are?

Ah, misery enjoys company. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

9 and 11 right now for the Lakers.  Anyone still think they'll get 70?  How many coaches will they have to go through this year to find the right one for their roster?  How much will Stevie and Pau help?  Are they "what they are," or are they better than what they are?

Lakers fans must be ready to jump off a cliff after last nights drubbing handed out by the Thunder.  It was no where near as close as the score.  Durrant and Westbrook destroyed /broke the back of the Lakers like a rotten twigg. At least we almost won a game we should have won .

What would have drove me nuts if I was a LA fan was watching  Howard playing "GOOFY" ball...goinf though the motions and cashing a BIG OL paycheck...hAAA! sorta like the guy they dumped

Howards easy going ...ah lazy attitude ... here dudes lets role a doobie look is infectious to the lakers , they looked "STONED". Only LA's Meeks seemed to think the game was worth playing. 

All I can say ...is all that smiling , laughing (while they are getting their tail kicked) D'Antoni , Howard and few others were doing is not going to sit well with LA fans... ;D       I swear the coach and Howard were high.

They will be better with Nash and Gasol healthy , but SOmehow I just don't think they can overcome OKC and the Spurs in the West . 

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I think Steve will help alot, but I question his ability to stay healthy at this point. That's why i wasen't to worried when they signed him, he doesn't have alot of miles left.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'll be satisfied only after they are eliminated from the playoffs.  If they turn it around this lull only makes the end harder to bear.

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Couple of things:

The Boston Celtics are also not a top 5 team

I hate the Lakers, but you do have to acknowledge they were without Nash and Pau last night.

Howard is still a clown and I bet Kobe hates him.

The biggest difference between the Lakers and Celtics is their roster is dysfunctional whereas the Celtics roster is just not good enough.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:24:02 PM by vinnie »

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
My top five teams = Miami, Boston, Oklahoma, LA Lakers and Memphis.

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel.

Haven't watched the Grizz a ton this year so may substitute Spurs with them

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
are the Knicks not a top five team at the moment? ???

I would think the Spurs are in the top five?   

Boston and LA are outside the top five , looking in.

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I would agree.  The first four were certainly the ones that I considered the top contenders going into the season.  I don't think anything has happened yet to drop either the Lakers or the Celtics out of that group. 

I think that LAC, San Antonio, and New York could end up being in the conversation as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Glad to see my post is still going!! Try and tell u guys. Hey, i got to gloat a little. I know its still waaaay to early but I doubt this team gets by the 2nd round.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Glad to see my post is still going!! Try and tell u guys. Hey, i got to gloat a little. I know its still waaaay to early but I doubt this team gets by the 2nd round.

If they continue to play the way they've been playing, yes. In fact, I'm not even sure they'd get past the first round the way they're playing.

OKC, Memphis, San Antonio, and LAC are all playing much better than the Lakers. Continuity can be very useful (barring any injuries).

BUT, its still a long season. It's not too late for the Lakers just like it's not too late for the Celtics to find their groove. Even though I think the Celtics are in less trouble than the Lakers are, both teams have the talent to be much better than their record indicates.