Author Topic: L.A. Lakers NOT a top 5 team!!  (Read 21847 times)

L.A. Lakers NOT a top 5 team!!
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
All Ive been hearing is how the Lakers may be the best team in the NBA. But am I the only one who doesnt think they all top 5 team? They have more questions than answers:

1. Kobe and Nash has alot of mileage and are getting up there in age
2. Kobe has some injuries last couple of year and he may be just 34 but that body has taken alot of hits
3. Howard is coming off back surgery. Now he may be 100% now but it may come later on after a full season
4. Metta World Peace-We all know he is a ticking timebomb. One game he looks great, next game looks awful
5. Really, how is Kobe and Pau Gasol relationship?
6. This team is old and come playoff time, they may be worn down
7. NO BENCH..Jamison is good but also up there in age. After him, no one pops out at me. Starters will have to put in alot of minutes and go back to point 7, they will be worn down
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: L.A. Lakers NOT a top 5 team!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think this is wishful thinking at best.

I understand not wanting to annoint the Lakers the best team in the league, but I find a hard time not putting them in the top 5, at least on paper (which is all it can be at this point in the season).

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
We'll certainly find out.  I expect the Lakers to be very, very good this year.  On paper, it's the strongest starting 5 in the NBA.

Glad they're not our problem for awhile...

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Dwight Howard alone can get you a top 5 record in a conference.

Add in the rest of their talent and they're clearly top title contenders.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
I clearly believe health, age, and no bench will be there downfall. Hope they dont prove me wrong, lol.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I hate to say it, but I think that any team with Dwight Howard on it is at least a top 10 team right there.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
There's no way you can't make them a top 5 on paper.  I mean, there's no team out West expect OKC that you can clearly put above them and Miami and Boston are the only teams in the East that you could make a strong argument for.  On paper.

On the court...Howard is a clearly inferior offensive player compared to Bynum, Nash is only Steve Nash when he's dominating the ball on offense, their bench looks to be the worst of any serious title contender and Kobe has obviously (to anyone not blinded by his legacy) been declining for several years and there's no reason to think that won't continue.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I agree that the Lakers are thin on depth, especially at the C given Howard's back.

But, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, MWP, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash? That's a strong starting lineup. I'd have them in the top 5.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
On paper, they certainly are.

Let's see how the season unfolds but its nearly impossible to argue them being outside the Top 5 right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
jodie meeks signing massively underrated

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
jodie meeks signing massively underrated

Very true.  I actually like the Lakers bench.  I think it is the strongest bench they have had for years.

Meeks
Hill (very underrated energy big off the bench)
Jamison (can still score and rebound)
Duhon
Clark

Those are all quality NBA bench players.  It isn't in the same stratosphere as the C's bench, but their starting lineup is better (on paper), and it is a strong bench for a top heavy team.

The interesting thing about the new CBA, is that by squeezing the middle of the market out, they have promoted even more ring chasing, and made the benches of all of the contenders much stronger than a few years ago, and stripped the non-contenders of even more talent.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think its mainly going to be a Howard/Bryant team.

Don't think Nash will have nearly the impact that some think he will and Pau has been the odd man out for a few years now. Not saying those 2 aren't good but they aren't as impactful as they used to. We'll see how much they thrive as complimentary pieces.

With that said Howard/Bryant team is probably a top 5 team although I don't know if they will have a top 5in regular season record necessarily

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Heat, Celtics, Thunder, possibly Spurs who else can better than the Lakers?  That being said, they are vastly overrated.  They are the slowest team.  They have awful perimeter defense. 
1 - Kobe and Artest are no longer elite defenders.  They have no athleticism outside of Dwight. 
2 - They have no legit 3 point shooting outside of Nash.  Meeks is too awful at everything else to earn time on the court.  Kobe is average.
3 - Dwight might average 5 blocks but he'll be in constant foul trouble dealing with Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Wade, Lebron, Rondo, Bradley, Green etc.  who will blow by the Lakers back court.
4 - They have no athleticism outside of Dwight.
5 - They are old.  Like the Celtics of the past few years, they may be extremely talented but old people miss games. 
6 - Dwight was traded there against his will.  The CBA ensures he won't sign an extension even if he wanted to sign there.  Welcome to Dwightmare.
7 - Antwaun Jamison shot 40 percent from the field last year.  Jordan Hill has legal and health issues.  The rest of their bench is too abysmal to even talk about. 
8 - Pau has been in steady decline as one would expect from a man of his age and limited athleticism. 
9 - It's Kobe's team.  Dwight wants it to be his team.  Kobe wants the ball.
10 - Kobe's going to take the ball away from Nash's hands and vice versa. 
11 - Mike Brown couldn't earn the respect of Lebron.  What's he going to do with Dwight and Kobe?
I probably missed a lot more.  Let's not even mention their enormous payroll and lack of draft picks or young talent outside of Dwight who is an UFA. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Duhon isn't a quality player anymore, he's really tanked the last two years.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Heat, Celtics, Thunder, possibly Spurs who else can better than the Lakers?  That being said, they are vastly overrated.  They are the slowest team.  They have awful perimeter defense. 
1 - Kobe and Artest are no longer elite defenders.  They have no athleticism outside of Dwight. 
2 - They have no legit 3 point shooting outside of Nash.  Meeks is too awful at everything else to earn time on the court.  Kobe is average.
3 - Dwight might average 5 blocks but he'll be in constant foul trouble dealing with Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Wade, Lebron, Rondo, Bradley, Green etc.  who will blow by the Lakers back court.
4 - They have no athleticism outside of Dwight.
5 - They are old.  Like the Celtics of the past few years, they may be extremely talented but old people miss games. 
6 - Dwight was traded there against his will.  The CBA ensures he won't sign an extension even if he wanted to sign there.  Welcome to Dwightmare.
7 - Antwaun Jamison shot 40 percent from the field last year.  Jordan Hill has legal and health issues.  The rest of their bench is too abysmal to even talk about. 
8 - Pau has been in steady decline as one would expect from a man of his age and limited athleticism. 
9 - It's Kobe's team.  Dwight wants it to be his team.  Kobe wants the ball.
10 - Kobe's going to take the ball away from Nash's hands and vice versa. 
11 - Mike Brown couldn't earn the respect of Lebron.  What's he going to do with Dwight and Kobe?
I probably missed a lot more.  Let's not even mention their enormous payroll and lack of draft picks or young talent outside of Dwight who is an UFA.
Thanks..glad someone agrees with me also. Everyone keeps on saying "on paper". Last I check, "on paper" doesnt win championships