Author Topic: Red Sox hire John Farrell as manager through 2015  (Read 3126 times)

Red Sox hire John Farrell as manager through 2015
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Per a text from WEEI deal is done
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Red Sox hire John Farrell as manager through 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:02:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
i was hoping this wouldn't happen, but I guess it was inexorable.

Hope it works out.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
i was hoping this wouldn't happen, but I guess it was inexorable.

Hope it works out.

Ditto

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Be careful what you
set your heart upon--
for it will surely be yours.

- James Baldwin

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
inexorable.

Wow, that is quite a word.  I had to look it up. Not able to be stopped or changed for those who like me don't know.

I am not sure it couldn't be stopped or changed, it just is what they wanted so they made it happen.  They think he will make the pitching better as well as the overall team.

Our starting pitching underperformed big time last year.  Not hard to see why they would want to improve that or why they would think Farrell could do it.  Whether he does or not, we will see.

Tomase (Herald) is reporting that the "compensation" is they get Aviles and we get Adam Lind.  No great loss of value there.  Lind's problem the last few years is he can't hit lefties but actually hits pretty well against righties (around 0.800 slugging over 2010-2012).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:29:27 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
inexorable.

Wow, that is quite a word.  I had to look it up. Not able to be stopped or changed for those who like me don't know.

I am not sure it couldn't be stopped or changed, it just is what they wanted so they made it happen.  They think he will make the pitching better as well as the overall team.

Our starting pitching underperformed big time last year.  Not hard to see why they would want to improve that or why they would think Farrell could do it.  Whether he does or not, we will see.

Tomase (Herald) is reporting that the "compensation" is they get Aviles and we get Adam Lind.  No great loss of value there.  Lind's problem the last few years is he can't hit lefties but actually hits pretty well against righties (around 0.800 slugging over 2010-2012).
Toronto pitching has been pretty abysmal for the last two seasons. Also Farell is coming back as a manager, not as a pitching coach. Pitching is not going to improve by osmosis.

Also, I question whether an extra year of Farell, which is pretty much a bridge year, was worth a big league player, but I guess getting Lind back may be an acceptable tradeoff, since we need as much power as we can get at 1B. Oh well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
inexorable.

Toronto pitching has been pretty abysmal for the last two seasons. Also Farell is coming back as a manager, not as a pitching coach. Pitching is not going to improve by osmosis.

Also, I question whether an extra year of Farell, which is pretty much a bridge year, was worth a big league player, but I guess getting Lind back may be an acceptable tradeoff, since we need as much power as we can get at 1B. Oh well.
The two main arguments against Farrell were not to give up too much compensation and don't let the compensation talks drag things out to long.  The compensation (as reported by Tomase) appears fine and they got it done quickly.

I know that Farrell is not the pitching coach but the manager has a big say in how pitchers are handled.  I think a pitcher-friendly manager can make a difference.

In the end, will Farrell be any better than say Ausmus or anyone else?  Who knows but I am perfectly happy with Farrell and how the Sox got it done.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
inexorable.

:D  One of my favorite author's favorite words (I actually think he overuses it a bit...I'll go sparingly with it on CB  ;) )
Yup