Author Topic: Trivia Question  (Read 3515 times)

Trivia Question
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
Who is the only person to be a high school first team All-American in football, basketball, and baseball?

Answer:
http://tinyurl.com/cv83l7e

Re: Trivia Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Far be it from me to question an unsourced wikipedia statement, but I question the accuracy.

1.  All-American status is kind of vague, as anybody can name and award All-Americans, so technically it might be true, as some local newspaper or magazine may have named him an All-American. But I believe the main designator of All-American status for high school sports is Parade Magazine, and also McDonalds for basketball.  (Now here I'm going to prove one wikipedia entry wrong by sourcing another one lol, death spiral alert  ;) ), but Parade doesn't have any baseball All-American teams, just basketball, football, and soccer.

2. And the only database I can find for Parade football All-Americans doesn't list this player.

So to trust this I would want to know who named him a baseball, basketball, and football All-American?

Not hating on your question stb, just questioning the source.

Another trivia question I've heard, that I've always questioned its accuracy, but I bet some CBers could help me out, is the info listed on the back of Roger Clemens Topps rookie card.  Said he choose the Red Sox over offers from the Celtics and Sonics.  Any of the old timers recall this?  I've heard some say this was a lie straight from Clemens himself, but did the C's really ever offer him a contract or at least a training camp invite?  I mean there were 10 rounds in the 1983 draft, and Clemens wasn't one of the picks, so I don't see NBA teams reaching out to players who they didn't even value enough to pick in a 10 round, 226 player draft.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:36:15 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would have guessed Dave Winfield, who was the only guy to be drafted in four major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, ABA).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 120
Big Dave Winfield was my guess as well. 

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
the only person EVER? i like the thread but I too question the credibility of that answer.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Far be it from me to question an unsourced wikipedia statement, but I question the accuracy.

1.  All-American status is kind of vague, as anybody can name and award All-Americans, so technically it might be true, as some local newspaper or magazine may have named him an All-American. But I believe the main designator of All-American status for high school sports is Parade Magazine, and also McDonalds for basketball.  (Now here I'm going to prove one wikipedia entry wrong by sourcing another one lol, death spiral alert  ;) ), but Parade doesn't have any baseball All-American teams, just basketball, football, and soccer.

2. And the only database I can find for Parade football All-Americans doesn't list this player.

So to trust this I would want to know who named him a baseball, basketball, and football All-American?

Not hating on your question stb, just questioning the source.

Both his NBA.com profile and BYU profile list him as an All-American in each sport.  BYU indicates "Named to All-American teams by Scholastic and Parade magazines in basketball, baseball and football"

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes