Author Topic: A reminder about our cap situation as related to trades...  (Read 5889 times)

Re: A reminder about our cap situation as related to trades...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bird rights.  That's got to be the clue with Green's contract.

On the face of things, we simply did not have Bird rights on Green.  He was an RFA that we signed to a one year - yet waived him before he could play a day of it.  He should have been an unrestricted FA (in which case, sure, the Jan 15 deadline would apply).

We actually did have Bird's rights.  We didn't sign Bird to a one year deal and waive him.  Rather, we signed him to his qualifying offer, which was contingent upon him passing a physical.  He never passed that physical, so the contract was voided.  Thus, we never had to waive him, and his Bird rights were never extinguished.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 07:33:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Does kris joseph count 473k or 854k against the cap? according to that site we're 72.9 million, minus (dooling) thats 72.1 roughly.
So to get josh smith it's bass,lee,melo,(vet min player) is enough to get back josh smith.

He counts $854k, even though his actual contract is less than that.  If he is waived, though, I'm under the impression that his actual salary guaranteed up until that point counts against the cap.

As for Dooling, we have no idea if he was bought out.  My guess is that he was, but it hasn't been reported anywhere.  That $854k could prove to be pretty big.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

On the face of things, we simply did not have Bird rights on Green.  He was an RFA that we signed to a one year - yet waived him before he could play a day of it.  He should have been an unrestricted FA (in which case, sure, the Jan 15 deadline would apply).

We actually did have Bird's rights.  We didn't sign Bird to a one year deal and waive him.  Rather, we signed him to his qualifying offer, which was contingent upon him passing a physical.  He never passed that physical, so the contract was voided.  Thus, we never had to waive him, and his Bird rights were never extinguished.
I didn't think we signed him to the QO.  I thought it was 9 mil or so.

I'm guessing the failed physical would have still voided the contract?  Or if it didn't and we really did waive him, would anything stop us from using non-Bird rights (that's a 4 year max now?)?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm guessing the failed physical would have still voided the contract?  Or if it didn't and we really did waive him, would anything stop us from using non-Bird rights (that's a 4 year max now?)?

That's true, we signed him to a one-year deal greater than the QO.  That deal was still voided, though.

If we had waived him, we would have lost any rights we had to exceed the salary cap to sign him. 

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Question, why is Fab Melo's cap hit only $1,045,600 but his 2012/13 salary is listed at $1,254,720?  Also, there is nothing listed on the Google site for Downs and Kurz.  Is there a hit for them as well for what they got paid?

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Question, why is Fab Melo's cap hit only $1,045,600 but his 2012/13 salary is listed at $1,254,720?  Also, there is nothing listed on the Google site for Downs and Kurz.  Is there a hit for them as well for what they got paid?

Yeah that's weird, Sullinger got paid 120% of the rookie scale, maybe they only paid Melo 100% of his salary slot ?

That could prove really valuable if we were to trade for someone later. So that makes Christmas and Smith's cap hit basically a wash compared to Melo's reduced salary.

Hopefully Dooling got bought out.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
Does kris joseph count 473k or 854k against the cap? according to that site we're 72.9 million, minus (dooling) thats 72.1 roughly.
So to get josh smith it's bass,lee,melo,(vet min player) is enough to get back josh smith.

He counts $854k, even though his actual contract is less than that.  If he is waived, though, I'm under the impression that his actual salary guaranteed up until that point counts against the cap.

As for Dooling, we have no idea if he was bought out.  My guess is that he was, but it hasn't been reported anywhere.  That $854k could prove to be pretty big.

Then hopefully they trade Joseph for a conditional 2nd rounder or something,this will save us money. and as posted by vermont green below it seems Melo got paid only 100% of the rookie scale ? this could be really valuable too.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
maybe the clippers get the 20% cap hit for Melo since it was their pick?

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

That's true, we signed him to a one-year deal greater than the QO.  That deal was still voided, though.

If we had waived him, we would have lost any rights we had to exceed the salary cap to sign him.

I thought it was reported sometime after he had surgery that besides obviously voiding the contract, they withdrew the QO that they could have still paid him to keep him a RFA?

I vaguely remember his agent being happy about something other than all the support (medical and emotional) he received from the organization.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Ah - ok.  That explains the size of the contract.  I was under the impression we did not have his Bird Rights yet.

Odd though.  I have a decent source (off line, real person) that I trust that is adamant that Green can't be traded this season.  He's in a position to know that.  But I did not get a chance to get a technical explanation for why.  And I have been trying to figure out why.

If we already had Bird rights, that explains the contract size and the lack of being on a roster last year would put his earliest tradable date at Jan 15.   

So I feel like there is a piece of the puzzle missing.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.