Author Topic: A reminder about our cap situation as related to trades...  (Read 5890 times)

A reminder about our cap situation as related to trades...
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With the Barbosa signing, and presuming that Kris Joseph makes the team, our projected cap is in the neighborhood of $73.32 million.  Link.  There's some wiggle room in that number -- for instance, we don't know if Dooling agreed to a buyout or not, and these numbers are estimates that don't always take into account certain likely incentives, etc. -- but the number is close.

Why does $73.3 million matter?  Because that's only $1 million less than the $74.3 million HARD CAP we're under.

Therefore, when people are putting together trades for Josh Smith or whatever other semi-star is on the market, remember that it's about more than a trade working on the trade machine.  Even if a trade technically works under normal salary cap rules, we still can't cross the $74.3 million salary threshold, no matter what.

That means that in any trade, we can take back no more than about $1 million than we send out.  That doesn't give us a ton of flexibility to play with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: A reminder about our cap situation as related to trades...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
With the Barbosa signing, and presuming that Kris Joseph makes the team, our projected cap is in the neighborhood of $73.32 million.  Link.  There's some wiggle room in that number -- for instance, we don't know if Dooling agreed to a buyout or not, and these numbers are estimates that don't always take into account certain likely incentives, etc. -- but the number is close.

Why does $73.3 million matter?  Because that's only $1 million less than the $74.3 million HARD CAP we're under.

Therefore, when people are putting together trades for Josh Smith or whatever other semi-star is on the market, remember that it's about more than a trade working on the trade machine.  Even if a trade technically works under normal salary cap rules, we still can't cross the $74.3 million salary threshold, no matter what.

That means that in any trade, we can take back no more than about $1 million than we send out.  That doesn't give us a ton of flexibility to play with.

Excellent point, Roy.

I have been pointing out this issue - but I mistakenly thought we still had about 4M of room.  I see now it was even tighter.  Basically what this boils down to is that, in order to bring in Smith's 15M salary (after trade kicker) we have to send out >=14M salary.

That's a lot.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Excellent point, Roy.

I have been pointing out this issue - but I mistakenly thought we still had about 4M of room.  I see now it was even tighter.  Basically what this boils down to is that, in order to bring in Smith's 15M salary (after trade kicker) we have to send out >=14M salary.

That's a lot.

Yeah it is but Bass+Lee gets close doesn't it? Same with Green and one of the 2?

Id figure any proposed trade would include 2 of those 3 anyway.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Excellent point, Roy.

That's a lot.

Yeah it is but Bass+Lee gets close doesn't it? Same with Green and one of the 2?

I can't remember the exact reason, but my impression from somewhere is that Green can't be traded this year for some technical reason.  Whether that is because of something in his contract or the CBA, I'm not sure.  I just remember it being pointed out more than once.

Roy - do you know if that's true?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Excellent point, Roy.

That's a lot.

I can't remember the exact reason, but my impression from somewhere is that Green can't be traded this year for some technical reason.  Whether that is because of something in his contract or the CBA, I'm not sure.  I just remember it being pointed out more than once.

I'm not sure...  I'm definitely not an expert on the new CBA.

We couldn't sign-and-trade Green because he wasn't on our roster at the end of last year. 

This season, we can't trade him until January 15, because he was a Bird rights free agent who got a 20% raise and who made more than the minimum last year.

There's no other restriction that I'm aware of, but I could be overlooking something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Excellent point, Roy.

That's a lot.

I'm not sure...  I'm definitely not an expert on the new CBA.

We couldn't sign-and-trade Green because he wasn't on our roster at the end of last year. 

This season, we can't trade him until January 15, because he was a Bird rights free agent who got a 20% raise and who made more than the minimum last year.

There's no other restriction that I'm aware of, but I could be overlooking something.

I've been trying to figure this out.  I came upon this:
There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:
For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

The C's had RFA rights on Green the prior year, right?  And they 'exercised' them.  If he had not missed last year he would have been under 'no-trade' for that year.  So maybe the ruling by Stern was that that one-year no-trade restriction carried over if they signed him to a new deal after the convalescence?

I'm just guessing, but that sort of makes sense.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If the season don't work out to DA and Doc s satisfaction , he'll dump a bunch of people to improve the team as he sees fit.

In Danny I Trust  ;D 

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:
For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

The C's had RFA rights on Green the prior year, right?  And they 'exercised' them.  If he had not missed last year he would have been under 'no-trade' for that year.  So maybe the ruling by Stern was that that one-year no-trade restriction carried over if they signed him to a new deal after the convalescence?

I think "exercising first refusal" means matching another team's offer sheet.

That's not what happened with Green.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think "exercising first refusal" means matching another team's offer sheet.

That's not what happened with Green.
yeah, no one ever signed Green to an offer sheet that the C's matched. I don't see this applying.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'm too lazy to look up the link, but I believe CBA FAQ guy Larry Coon said in an online chat that January 15 is the only restriction on trading Green.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:51 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Does kris joseph count 473k or 854k against the cap? according to that site we're 72.9 million, minus (dooling) thats 72.1 roughly.
So to get josh smith it's bass,lee,melo,(vet min player) is enough to get back josh smith.

(edit) if they cut joseph he is fully non guaranteed. thats 71.6, if they are serious in getting a big name star, joseph is a dime a dozen player in this league.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:58:34 AM by heitingas »

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Bird rights.  That's got to be the clue with Green's contract.

On the face of things, we simply did not have Bird rights on Green.  He was an RFA that we signed to a one year - yet waived him before he could play a day of it.  He should have been an unrestricted FA (in which case, sure, the Jan 15 deadline would apply).

Yet we signed him to a 9M contract that put us way over the cap.

We can't do that with an unrestricted free agent.   The only way that could happen is if the league made some sort of exception.   It would make perfect sense for them to have granted that exception so long as it includes a restriction such as holding Green until the Bird rights have vested.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

On the face of things, we simply did not have Bird rights on Green.  He was an RFA that we signed to a one year - yet waived him before he could play a day of it.  He should have been an unrestricted FA (in which case, sure, the Jan 15 deadline would apply).

We can't do that with an unrestricted free agent.   The only way that could happen is if the league made some sort of exception.   It would make perfect sense for them to have granted that exception so long as it includes a restriction such as holding Green until the Bird rights have vested.

This is probably the reason it took so long to sign Green officially.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 03:26:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The league would not have made an exception and if the league did it would have been widely reported.  Actually, the league would probably not be able to make an exception even if it wanted to because of the CBA.

The Celtics held Green's Bird rights.  His Bird rights transferred to the Celtics intact when he was traded to Boston.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 03:28:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
This is probably the reason it took so long to sign Green officially.

It was reported to be insurance issues.