Author Topic: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.  (Read 10990 times)

Re: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Lets leave Josh Smith out of this. We now have more chips now than the KG megadeal days. Between..

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

That's an impressive list of talent excluding are big three. Who could we realistically go after?
We could realistically go after developing our talent.

While I agree that keeping this much depth and talent is tempting (and believe me, I'm more excited about this C's team than any team since '08), in the current NBA depth doesn't win championships. Depth gets you good regular-season records.

Take a look at the Spurs. They dominated the regular season last year, but when it came to the playoffs, they didn't have the firepower to shut down the Thunder (and I bet they would have lost to the Heat too). I think the teams with the best shot at a title have a good amount of superstars with some talent behind them.

That said, we have one superstar (Rondo) and two mini-superstars (KG and Pierce, at the stages of their careers). I think that's why everyone wants someone like Josh Smith: another guy who has the potential to just go off against the opposing team.

Still, Doc's a genius. He could make this current team work.
Josh Smith is not a superstar. In any case, you're not even getting a Josh-Smith-type of player for the combination of over-the-hill veterans and future maybes.

Best chance is still to try to develop what we have, and what we have (that is developable) is not _that_ much -- Sullinger, Melo, Bradley. The rest are established veterans at different stages of their careers, which are untradeable and/or are not getting you a star in return.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
as much as I love Josh Smith, I agree. He is not a superstar and he shouldn't get paid any more than Jeff Green if he were to be here...

Smith is not a good scorer. He's a good defender, and good fast break finisher, but he's not a good scorer. He can however be a great role player next to KG, but any team wants to make him the first option scorer will be doomed

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if a deal were on the table with Atlanta, I'd be pushing for Horford over Smith.  Talented, cheaper and less inconsistent.

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
as much as I love Josh Smith, I agree. He is not a superstar and he shouldn't get paid any more than Jeff Green if he were to be here...

Smith is not a good scorer.
He doesnt have the greatest range as a shooter but, a bad scorer? 18.8 pts on 46% is hardly bad.

And right now hes [dang] well close to being a superstar