Author Topic: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.  (Read 11004 times)

Re: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Lets leave Josh Smith out of this. We now have more chips now than the KG megadeal days. Between..

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

That's an impressive list of talent excluding are big three. Who could we realistically go after?
We could realistically go after developing our talent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Lets leave Josh Smith out of this. We now have more chips now than the KG megadeal days. Between..

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

That's an impressive list of talent excluding are big three. Who could we realistically go after?

While I agree that keeping this much depth and talent is tempting (and believe me, I'm more excited about this C's team than any team since '08), in the current NBA depth doesn't win championships. Depth gets you good regular-season records.

Take a look at the Spurs. They dominated the regular season last year, but when it came to the playoffs, they didn't have the firepower to shut down the Thunder (and I bet they would have lost to the Heat too). I think the teams with the best shot at a title have a good amount of superstars with some talent behind them.

That said, we have one superstar (Rondo) and two mini-superstars (KG and Pierce, at the stages of their careers). I think that's why everyone wants someone like Josh Smith: another guy who has the potential to just go off against the opposing team.

Still, Doc's a genius. He could make this current team work.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
next year go after Lamarcus Aldrige or something like that...a big men 4 or 5
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'm sure we could get at the very least a one-eyed swordfish.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

While I agree that keeping this much depth and talent is tempting (and believe me, I'm more excited about this C's team than any team since '08), in the current NBA depth doesn't win championships. Depth gets you good regular-season records.

Take a look at the Spurs. They dominated the regular season last year, but when it came to the playoffs, they didn't have the firepower to shut down the Thunder (and I bet they would have lost to the Heat too). I think the teams with the best shot at a title have a good amount of superstars with some talent behind them.

That said, we have one superstar (Rondo) and two mini-superstars (KG and Pierce, at the stages of their careers). I think that's why everyone wants someone like Josh Smith: another guy who has the potential to just go off against the opposing team.

The difference between the Spurs and us is that they were fully healthy and just fell apart (Though I think game 6 had some very questionable calls against them). We gave the Heat one hell of a series and we had 60-75% of our team. The Spurs lost their mojo to a team that was quite frankly thrashed by the team we pushed to the brink.

The reason why we lost last year was because Lebron had a legendary performance in game 6, and in game 7, we just ran out of gas, and that was because our starters couldn't handle it anymore! Of course Bosh's return helped the Heat, but I think our lack of depth just wore down the vets too much.

BTW, even if we did beat the Heat, I was actually pretty sure we wouldn't have been able to handle OKC.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am kind of happy with the haul as it is.  Maybe something will jump in the boat, but I am in no hurry.  Let's see what we have.

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'd love to take a shot at Paul Millsap. Utah is pretty stacked in the back court and might welcome a pick-and-pop PF like Bass.

I'd offer Bass, Melo, a 1st and 2nd round pick for Millsap. We get a post presence in Millsap and the Jazz get a great shooter, a young center to develop and a couple of picks. I'd probably go as far as to offer 2 1st rounders but I wouldn't like it :)

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

Lee is out as bait for reasons that it would look bad to young players if you take less money you'll get traded 6 months later.

Same with Terry and being a vet.

Green is out for he's playing right now better than Bass, and is the only true back up SF for PP.

Sully is ify
Melo could be traded
Bass could be to, and he's playing like he knows it(just saying)
AB could be to, hate to loose the deffense, it would depend on what you got back.

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd love to take a shot at Paul Millsap. Utah is pretty stacked in the back court and might welcome a pick-and-pop PF like Bass.

I'd offer Bass, Melo, a 1st and 2nd round pick for Millsap. We get a post presence in Millsap and the Jazz get a great shooter, a young center to develop and a couple of picks. I'd probably go as far as to offer 2 1st rounders but I wouldn't like it :)

In the past, I had expected them to move Al Jefferson but now I am thinking Millsap is the better choice to move along. Go with the post-orientated type offense. Instead of keeping Millsap and playing a smaller front-line with more quickness.

Now, I am starting to think that it makes more sense for Utah to trade Millsap and keep Al Jefferson to play with Kanter and Favors.

Go with a power based lineup with Kanter (C) and Big Al (PF) providing low post threats on either block. That would be very difficult to defend against. Favors providing more quickness and defensive ability as a glue guy in the immediate sense but should also provide that low post threat in time. A three player big man rotation.

A fourth big in the depth chart like Ryan Hollins (quickness and length) and/or a Joel Przybilla (power and length) to provide situational minutes at center. That other guy, Evans is it? Blanking on his name. To provide SF/PF defensive option. And a shooting PF.

Oh, Marvin Williams too, power based three with a good post game. Big two guard in Gordon Hayward. They have the starting wings for that type of a game plan also. Need a better PG / floor general. Mo Williams would make a nice backup guard for that type of team.

Yes, I too, believe there's a chance Millsap will become available this season and maybe even at a really good price. Good player, Millsap.

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I am kind of happy with the haul as it is.  Maybe something will jump in the boat, but I am in no hurry.  Let's see what we have.

I still think the big man rotation is too weak to be satisfied with the current roster. We have one bonafide, championship-starter caliber big in KG and he's minutes limited.  Everyone else is back-up quality (Bass, Wilcox, Green as a stretch 4) or a wild card (Sully, Darko).  We also have a confluence of mediocre rebounders (compounded by weak-rebounding guards other than Rondo).

If I'm Ainge, I'm actively looking for ways to turn our surplus of quality 6th-8th men (guards and bigs) into a bona fide 4th or 5th man at one of the big positions.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Absolutely agree the Celtics are not good enough in the front court sans KG.  Bass and Sully are good, and Sully has an unknown ceiling, they just aren't good enough to be the 2nd/3rd best bigs. 

We must upgrade in this area.  There will be opportunities.  Hopefully something pans out.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

THANKYOU

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

Yeah, Doc could make this team work. Throw some elbow grease in to this group of scrubs and maybe he can get some wins out of them....SMH

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
I have a super idea- Why dont we keep our own players and win with them? I think ill go with that.

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Absolutely agree the Celtics are not good enough in the front court sans KG.  Bass and Sully are good, and Sully has an unknown ceiling, they just aren't good enough to be the 2nd/3rd best bigs. 

We must upgrade in this area.  There will be opportunities.  Hopefully something pans out.

At this point in his career, the only way i make a huge multi person trade is to get a bonafide big thats better than kg in return. The pickings there would be extremely slim so I say lets stick with what we got first.