Author Topic: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.  (Read 11006 times)

With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:58 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Lets leave Josh Smith out of this. We now have more chips now than the KG megadeal days. Between..

Jeff Green
 Sullinger
 Courtney Lee
 Avery Bradley
 Jason Terry
 Brandon Bass
 Barbosa
 Fab Melo

That's an impressive list of talent excluding are big three. Who could we realistically go after?

Re: With all these fresh bait, what fish can we land.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Ed Davis?

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Probably a whole bunch of picks if things don't go as planned.

I'm not expecting a big marquee trade.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Big Al or Millsap from the Jazz would probably make the most sense. Both will be FA's this summer and they have Favors and Kanter that they need to give playing time to. Big Al would be the better option so that he can bring another element to our team (low post scoring), but his contract is also higher and much more difficult to trade for in terms of matching outgoing salary. Millsap is an upgrade over Bass, so perhaps Bass (who is signed to a multi-year deal for much less than Millsap will command) and picks for him would intrigue the Jazz. They would have a longterm backup for Kanter and Favors, add a couple of draft picks, and let Big Al walk during free agency to potentially become players during the summer.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Varejao?

I don't really know the Cavs situation off top of my head but id think a back court of Irving Bradley could look good

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Varejao?

I don't really know the Cavs situation off top of my head but id think a back court of Irving Bradley could look good

I don't think they would have interest since they just drafted waiters really high
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Do we have what it takes to get Josh Smith?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Trade bait is a player worth more than his contract. There wasn't a big competition to sign Barbosa. Most of the vets on that last were recently signed at or near their market price, so unless they make big jumps in performance, they aren't really bait.

The trade bait we have is Sullinger and Bradley. I bet you don't actually want to trade those two, but that's kind of the point.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Andrew Bogut is who I want. I think we have enough young talent to entice the Warriors to deal Bogut to us. Although the Warriors are not really thin on talent on the other hand (they have a bench mob just like we do). But I still want Bogut next to KG.

I know he's been unhealthy for the past couple of years, but those are not nagging injuries. Higher chance of being healthy than get another season ending one again.

And when healthy, no doubt top 5 center.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Varejao?

I think Varejao is a dream fit for our current group.  His manic hustle, tremendous possession creation (one of the best offensive rebounders I've ever watched) and pick and roll defensive excellence would do wonders for this team.

If something like Bass/Bradley wasn't appealing to them, maybe Lee/Melo/future first would be.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Varejao?

I think Varejao is a dream fit for our current group.  His manic hustle, tremendous possession creation (one of the best offensive rebounders I've ever watched) and pick and roll defensive excellence would do wonders for this team.

If something like Bass/Bradley wasn't appealing to them, maybe Lee/Melo/future first would be.

What makes most sense for them will be Green.  It is the only position they do not have a young potential starter at. 

And yes, I would make that trade if it becomes clear that rebounding and interior defense is still a major problem with this team. 

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Bradley is better than Varajao with still plenty of upside.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Varejao?

What makes most sense for them will be Green.  It is the only position they do not have a young potential starter at. 

And yes, I would make that trade if it becomes clear that rebounding and interior defense is still a major problem with this team.

Hmmm... If Pietrus was willing to join midseason, that would be an appealing trade to me. I think Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Sully/KG with a Terry/Lee/Pietrus/Bass/Varejao bench is a pretty incredible team.   

But if you could convince Cleveland that Bass is the pick/pop guy Irving needs, Melo is their defensive 5 of the future (a nice tandem with Zeller, maybe) and Kris Joseph & a future pick are nice assets, and all they need to send over is Anderson Varejao and Jon Leuer (passable 3rd string PF), I'd be more stoked.

Rondo(35)/Terry(25)
Bradley (25)/Lee (25)
Pierce(32)/Green (12)
Sully (24)/Green (16)
KG (28)/Varejao (28)

That is a killer rotation.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Bradley is better than Varajao with still plenty of upside.

come onnnnnnnnnnn

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think a mid-season trade makes sense unless the team is in trouble or if a player needs to be gotten rid of because he has become a distraction.  For players who are on the first year of a multi-year contract, they need to establish whether or not they are worth that deal.

The next off-season is a different story.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference