Author Topic: Nike and cheating....  (Read 9554 times)

Nike and cheating....
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nike terminated Lance Armstrong's contract due to the cheating.  Regardless of whether he cheated or not, this is contrary to how they have handled all other instances of their athletes cheating. 

In fact, the only other contract they have terminated due to a "scandal" was Vick's, but they resigned him. 

A-Rod admitted to steroid use, and Nike did not terminate him.

Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin used performance enhancing drugs and did not have their contracts terminated.

Why the difference with Lance?

Can anyone think of other Nike sponsored athletes that have been caught using ped's?

Re: Nike and cheating....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Nike terminated Lance Armstrong's contract due to the cheating.  Regardless of whether he cheated or not, this is contrary to how they have handled all other instances of their athletes cheating. 

In fact, the only other contract they have terminated due to a "scandal" was Vick's, but they resigned him. 

Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin used performance enhancing drugs and did not have their contracts terminated.

Can anyone think of other Nike sponsored athletes that have been caught using ped's?

Tiger had a paper trail with a doctor from canada linked to PED's for pro athletes I believe.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Probably simply because there is nothing left to gain from Lance.  You expect to see any Lance Armstrong commercials in the near future? 

They saw an out and they used it.  That's different from A-Rod... who is still a rather marketable player.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Prob motivated by PR and the fact that his brand is pretty much shot now.

It sounds like the evidence really stacks against him on this doping thing and I've read some reports alleging he was the ringleader of it.  Pretty serious stuff. 

He's pretty much done as a viable endorsement figure.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Prob motivated by PR and the fact that his brand is pretty much shot now.

It sounds like the evidence really stacks against him on this doping thing and I've read some reports alleging he was the ringleader of it.  Pretty serious stuff. 

He's pretty much done as a viable endorsement figure.

Unless they are looking to get into the performance enhancing drug market  ;D
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, unlike the others, he's retired.  What can they possibly gain from him now?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Also, unlike the others, he's retired.  What can they possibly gain from him now?

Yup, and the (other) difference between him and A-Rod is that not all of A-Rod's accomplishments have been tainted by the PED use. 

Did Marion Jones really keep her endorsement deal?  I mean, she went to jail for PED-related issues.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:11:28 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Yup, and the (other) difference between him and A-Rod is that not all of A-Rod's accomplishments have been tainted by the PED use. 

Did Marion Jones really keep her endorsement deal?  I mean, she went to jail for PED-related issues.

They didnt terminate her deal. They did let it "expire".  Which is apparently what they also did with A-Rod (I do not think he is currently sponsored by them) and Gatlin.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Based on his official record, Lance Armstrong is now just some guy who likes to go on long bike rides.  So, I am not sure why he would be sponsored anyways.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Maybe they are changing their approach?
Maybe Lance wasn't that great of a marketing tool anyway, and this is an easy way to get out of the contract?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Christian Hesch was recently kicked off a Nike sponsored team.  Not really what you are talking about, but kind of interesting.

His story is getting a lot of chatter in the running community.  He is a "B level" runner that was taking PED to essentially win low key races with small prize money.

NYT article
Runners World

The NYT piece is getting a lot of criticism for being basically PR for Hesch.  The Runners World article is a better account of the details.

I think the difference with Lance is the negative publicity he is generating, the new tools USADA/WADA is using to go after PED users, and the general shift in public perception of PED users.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Maybe Lance wasn't that great of a marketing tool anyway, and this is an easy way to get out of the contract?

I think this is problem it.  I think they realized they were paying Lance more than he was bringing in already, and now, he would be even less of a draw...so they took advantage of the opportunity to cut bait.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Probably simply because there is nothing left to gain from Lance.  You expect to see any Lance Armstrong commercials in the near future? 

They saw an out and they used it.  That's different from A-Rod... who is still a rather marketable player.

TP

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Lance was terminated for being a scumbag much more so than a liar and a cheater.  I mean if you read the stuff he was allegedly doing, he is one of the most despicable sports figures on the planet.  I mean we are talking Michael Vick with dogfighting type of scumbag.  Threatening people to keep them quiet, orchestrating one of the largest cheating programs ever, defiantly denying wrongdoing and then suing people that said things (which were apparently true), etc.  In addition, there isn't much of a market for triathlons which was all he was doing anyway and that was prior to his lifetime ban essentially ending his professional career. 

He did a lot of good for cancer awareness and research, but it doesn't mean he is a good guy because it appears he clearly is not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Lance was terminated for being a scumbag much more so than a liar and a cheater.  I mean if you read the stuff he was allegedly doing, he is one of the most despicable sports figures on the planet.  I mean we are talking Michael Vick with dogfighting type of scumbag.  Threatening people to keep them quiet, orchestrating one of the largest cheating programs ever, defiantly denying wrongdoing and then suing people that said things (which were apparently true), etc.  In addition, there isn't much of a market for triathlons which was all he was doing anyway and that was prior to his lifetime ban essentially ending his professional career. 

He did a lot of good for cancer awareness and research, but it doesn't mean he is a good guy because it appears he clearly is not.

And he is still in denial. A lowlife, scumbag is what he is. I highly recommend you watch Rock-Center piece, where they talked to two female whistleblower whom he tried to destroy to keep quiet.

Part-1: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/49562651#49562651
Part 2: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/49562651#49562754