Author Topic: Scal  (Read 9101 times)

Scal
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i am loving scal's work alongside gorman.  i love tommy and i think scal is a legit replacement/addition and 100X better than donny!  scal is insightful, intelligent, articulate, funny, and has a good feel and chemistry with gorman.  im loving the addition of scal to the broadcasts

Re: Scal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If it helps move Tommy to full time studio work, where he is much more competent than he is doing color, it will make our broadcasts wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
i am loving scal's work alongside gorman.  i love tommy and i think scal is a legit replacement/addition and 100X better than donny!  scal is insightful, intelligent, articulate, funny, and has a good feel and chemistry with gorman.  im loving the addition of scal to the broadcasts

Scal has been a pretty predictable overwhelming success. His institution particular has been refreshing. I thought he'd be more funny than substance, but I was wrong.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:47 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Totally agree. Im loving Scal. He even seems to speak better when hes just broadcasting cause hes just enjoying the game so much. Most certainly Tommy's replacement.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Scal has been a pretty predictable overwhelming success. His institution particular has been refreshing. I thought he'd be more funny than substance, but I was wrong.
I like Scal more than Donny in the color spot, but both of them are prone to going off in detail about something that didn't really happen on the court... or at least didn't happen the way they thought it did.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Scal's been amazing.  I wish he could do all the games.  When a play goes awry or is successful, he can actually tell why like when Darko threw a pass out of bounds and he assigned the blame to Sullinger because he didn't drift to the open angle.  You don't hear that from Tommy and you definitely don't hear that from Donny who is busy making stuff up or repeating that all Ray needs to make a shot is set his feet, which sounded so great the first time that it needs repeating every five minutes. 

One of my favorite Donny moments from his terrible Olympic work was when he compared Manu to Lebron.  Not that the comparison was terrible, Manu and Lebron were similar all-around forces for their teams but Donny just can't stop before he makes stuff up and one of the reasons he cited for the comparison is that Manu even played PF just like Lebron did.  Under no circumstances did that ever happen, it sounds silly thinking about it but there is Donny just blurting it out, no doubt smiling like an idiot like he does.  The guy does no research and has zero sense of humor.  I just can't stand him.  When he and Gorman do a broadcast together and Gorman is at his smarmiest, they are worst than the San Antonio crew, which is as bad as it gets.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
donny is grating , pretty sure tommy can't stand him and i hope his contract is up and he's let go

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:22 AM »

Offline GregKite

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
In my opinion, Scal is better than Tommy but Tommy is still better than Donny. Sometimes I wonder if Donny realizes the mike is on and he is at work.

However, my all time favorite is Cedric Maxwell. I was hoping he might be Tommy's replacement or at least rotated in more often than he has been. I'm thinking about doing the tv on mute/internet radio combo this year.

Is ther any remote chance that Sean and C-Max end up doing tv someday?

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I like Scal more than Donny in the color spot, but both of them are prone to going off in detail about something that didn't really happen on the court... or at least didn't happen the way they thought it did.

I think this is true for a lot of color analysts, including Tommy as well. They think they see something, and in explaining it to people at home who wouldn't have seen or understood it if they had, it becomes glaringly obvious that the thing they're trying to explain didn't happen.

And it's usually hilarious.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
liking Scal in the color spot.  when the day comes where Tommy steps down, I hope it's between Max and Scal to step in and not Donny. 

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And it should be noted that I prefer the guys who give you 20-30 'breakdowns' a game, but get one or two wrong much more than the guys who play it safe so they don't look dumb and never review a play until 5 mins after it happened and they've already seen the replay. Tommy and Scal are the first set of guys.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
donny is grating , pretty sure tommy can't stand him and i hope his contract is up and he's let go

I agree.  Donny drives me crazy too.  He talks about himself too much and is always "name dropping" like he's someone important.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree.  Donny drives me crazy too.  He talks about himself too much and is always "name dropping" like he's someone important.

I just think Donny is perfect for national broadcasts.  He is just so one note.  I think on the national stage, when he has a different audience all the time, rather than the same fanbase night after night, he is less grating, and his repetitive schtick works a little better.  But when you put him on a local broadcast, it just gets very old. 

I think on a local broadcast, you NEED a big personality to keep it interesting.  Gorman is perhaps the best straight man there is in all of sports.  He has a great dry wit, and  is perfectly understated, to contrast with the big personality of a color man like Tommy.  And I think you need to bring in a guy like Scal to fill that role and actually add some fun to the broadcast and play off of Gorman's dry wit.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
and..  the ring is behind him  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

No one is worse at that than Tommy. He regular rants about calls he missed, complaining about what is in his head instead of what happened on the court. He often sounds like they pulled a fan from the nosebleed seats after putting down 6 beers.

Donny just didn't sound credible to me. His approach seemed fine, but his C.V. was lacking. He was an improvement over Tommy at color commentary, but that wasn't saying much.