Author Topic: If u can go back in time and make 1 change to Danny's summer, what do u change?  (Read 23722 times)

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As an aside- in order to fulfill his potential two more years in college would have been better for Fab Melo than D-league or benchwarming. Agree?

No, for several reasons:
  • Syracuse are not about developing players, they are about winning. That means that Melo would be stuck in the middle of a zone defense, that doesn't translate well to the NBA.
    As far as fundamentals and individual offensive skills, I'm not sure there is a big difference, it depends on his learning curve. Celtics should be better at big man coaching, though.
    If he plays for Maine in the D-League he will be schooled in the Celtics system, and he will be able to practice with the Celtics, when they are in Waltham.
    And then there is the academic issue. There could be several unknown reasons, why he fell behind, but the buttom line is, that it might happen again, and he would lose his eligibility again. No such risk in the NBA or D-League.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And then there is the academic issue. There could be several unknown reasons, why he fell behind, but the buttom line is, that it might happen again, and he would lose his eligibility again. No such risk in the NBA or D-League.

Yeah, I think he didn't have a choice.  I have no idea what the particulars were, but I don't think it would have been smart to return to school and risk not being able to play because of academics. 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, I think he didn't have a choice.  I have no idea what the particulars were, but I don't think it would have been smart to return to school and risk not being able to play because of academics.
Plus he's a big man who had a first round grade, in most situations its best to come out once you can at that point.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Plus he's a big man who had a first round grade, in most situations its best to come out once you can at that point.

Yeah.  Considering the chances of him developing substantially enough over the next year or two to go significantly higher in the draft were pretty slim (and he was getting close to the point where he would be considered an "old" rookie), it really was all downside for him to stay in school. 

Now, he can learn the NBA game, and try to develop with NBA coaches, without all of the practice rules you have in the NCAA, and the bother of having to go to class.

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Celticsblog is beautiful.

in hindsight, I'll swap Collins for Pietrus if it worked money-wise... but nothing else. By the time they signed Collis he was backup Center insurance. Right now we have Darko and he seems to be a better option, but Collins is still nice insurance against Bynum et al.

I wanted Perry Jones before the draft, but in Danny we trust. Melo looks better than advertised, while still a project.

I wanted Ray but if he doesn't care about the Celtics, it's a wash between him and Courtney Lee.

Kris Joseph can be a nice project or he can be waived, no big deal in either case. I doubt the Celtics find a valuable player off the waiver wire this season, but him and Collins spots will be in jeopardy if that's the case.

Danny did an almost perfect job. #18 is on its way.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Seeing Pietrus thrown out there, I really don't think him not coming back was the C's choice.  I just think he has been looking for a better opportunity to either be paid, or play. 

...although, if he sits there much longer, if the C's have any injuries (or Bradley has any setbacks), I could see him back in Green.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think it would've been worth throwing 8 million or so at Ray so that way Miami doesn't get him.  Other than that, I'm not sure what else he could've done (as far as guys like Camby, Birdman, Barnes).

Rondo/Ray/Paul/Bass/KG
Terry/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Wilcox or Darko
Moore/Joseph/JJJ/Melo

That's under the thresh-hold, depending on Johnson's salary, but he could be easily traded for a pick or we could go into the season with only 13 guys.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
i know you said one change but this is what I would have done.

Rondo/Xmas

AB/Brandon Roy

PP/Green/Kris Jo

Birdman/Sully/PJ3

KG/Darko

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yeah.  Considering the chances of him developing substantially enough over the next year or two to go significantly higher in the draft were pretty slim (and he was getting close to the point where he would be considered an "old" rookie), it really was all downside for him to stay in school. 

Now, he can learn the NBA game, and try to develop with NBA coaches, without all of the practice rules you have in the NCAA, and the bother of having to go to class.

I agree with you guys 110% that it was in his financial/career best interest to go pro. My philosophy is that if you have a first round grade (in any sport), you are taking an unwise risk returning to school to try to improve it or to quixotically go after an NCAA championship.

But for his game- my impression of the D-league is that people play selfishly there to try to get noticed. As far as the Syracuse player development and defensive scheming, I know very little. My point was that if Melo needs to spend time on his basketball fundamentals, he would be best served doing that in an environment with (1) level-appropriate competition and (2) a fundamental-building emphasis. My impression is that, for him, the D-league will fail him in the latter regard and the NBA will fail him in the former regard.

If you're charitable, you might think of this as Hasheem Thabeet's curse as well.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I agree with you guys 110% that it was in his financial/career best interest to go pro. My philosophy is that if you have a first round grade (in any sport), you are taking an unwise risk returning to school to try to improve it or to quixotically go after an NCAA championship.

But for his game- my impression of the D-league is that people play selfishly there to try to get noticed. As far as the Syracuse player development and defensive scheming, I know very little. My point was that if Melo needs to spend time on his basketball fundamentals, he would be best served doing that in an environment with (1) level-appropriate competition and (2) a fundamental-building emphasis. My impression is that, for him, the D-league will fail him in the latter regard and the NBA will fail him in the former regard.

If you're charitable, you might think of this as Hasheem Thabeet's curse as well.

Well, he may be playing in games in the D-League (which I think is still better development than college, for the simple fact that it is NBA rules), but I think he will still be practicing with the C's more often than not.

With the new rule that allows them to send him down an unlimited number of times, he will likely be with the C's whenever they are Boston, and then shuttling up to Portland to play games.  So, he will be working with Boston's coaches, trainers, and players, to help his development.

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Since the Celtics are running Maine Red Claws, they will probably not look too kindly on selfish players. And the new head coach Mike Taylor is supposed to be very good at developing young players:
“Mike impressed us with not only his coaching experience, but his enthusiasm and ability to develop young players,” said Boston Celtics Director of Player Personnel Austin Ainge. “He brings a blend of international and NBA D-League experience that will benefit the Celtics’ players assigned to Maine and the entire Red Claws’ roster.”

Well, he may be playing in games in the D-League (which I think is still better development than college, for the simple fact that it is NBA rules), but I think he will still be practicing with the C's more often than not.

With the new rule that allows them to send him down an unlimited number of times, he will likely be with the C's whenever they are Boston, and then shuttling up to Portland to play games.  So, he will be working with Boston's coaches, trainers, and players, to help his development.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd have resigned Marquis before he went elsewhere.

Right now he could have been the guy giving us some backup minutes at the PG spot and would have made decent end-of-bench insurance for positions 1 through 3.

I would rather have him then any of the young rookies we'e played in the preseason so far, and he'd give us insurance at the SF spot behind Pierce and Green as well.

We resigned Dooling instead which I was pretty happy with, but once he retired unexpectedly it left me immediately thinking that I wish we had Quis...

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I would not offer Jeff Green 9 million dollars per year, his value is not that high.

And what if JG walked away to another team?

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would not offer Jeff Green 9 million dollars per year, his value is not that high.

And what if JG walked away to another team?

On the flip side, JG was really enthusiastic about being a Celtic.

Regardless apparently it doesn't matter how much because we're over the cap.

Some have pointed out JG and Bass's contracts are set up for Josh Smith.

Let the endless speculation on what we might probably never know begin.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If I'm Danny and will have the premonition about Darko signing, I probably would not draft Fab.

Don't get me wrong, I like that pick. But I I know that eventually Darko will sign, I probably took someone else. Maybe PJ III.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace