Author Topic: If u can go back in time and make 1 change to Danny's summer, what do u change?  (Read 23727 times)

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Considering the much older and not much better DeAndre Jordan is earning 10 mil a year how could anyone take Wroten or PJIII over this guy? 

Deandre Jordan is only 23 months older than Fab Melo.  While I don't dispute the value of 7-foot tall players, I would consider it a success if Melo were as good in two years as Jordan is now.

People think Melo is a lot younger than he is because he was a sophomore last year.  He's five months older than Avery Bradley.

He hasn't been playing the game that long, has he? I think he's got a lot more room to improve than most players that are his age.

That's the theory, but it's also true that people learn faster when they're younger, and the lost time will likely mean there are things he will never learn.  Add to it English is not his first language, and it's probably unfair to expect him to make a giant leap after one year in pro ball.  He certainly may, but people act like the sky is the limit with Fab, when the truth is it's likely much lower.

I do think he has the potential to become a starting NBA center, and that is obviously extremely valuable.  But he's going to need most of his rookie contract to get there, and probably shouldn't be kept beyond his rookie extension.

Is Kendrick Perkins his ceiling, his ground floor, or his basement? 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:13:34 PM by Neurotic Guy »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Marquis or Matt Barnes over Collins

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
fab staying on the team this year would be a waste of his future. He will get next to no playing time and learn almost nothing. He needs hands on practice which would mean he goes tot he D-leauge.

With that being said I wish we got either wroten or pj3

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Considering the much older and not much better DeAndre Jordan is earning 10 mil a year how could anyone take Wroten or PJIII over this guy? 

Deandre Jordan is only 23 months older than Fab Melo.  While I don't dispute the value of 7-foot tall players, I would consider it a success if Melo were as good in two years as Jordan is now.

People think Melo is a lot younger than he is because he was a sophomore last year.  He's five months older than Avery Bradley.

He hasn't been playing the game that long, has he? I think he's got a lot more room to improve than most players that are his age.

That's the theory, but it's also true that people learn faster when they're younger, and the lost time will likely mean there are things he will never learn.  Add to it English is not his first language, and it's probably unfair to expect him to make a giant leap after one year in pro ball.  He certainly may, but people act like the sky is the limit with Fab, when the truth is it's likely much lower.

I do think he has the potential to become a starting NBA center, and that is obviously extremely valuable.  But he's going to need most of his rookie contract to get there, and probably shouldn't be kept beyond his rookie extension.

Is Kendrick Perkins is his ceiling, his ground floor, or his basement?

That would depend on if you think Perkins is at his ceiling, still has growth of his own, or reached it a couple years ago.  To be honest, I haven't followed Perk since he was shipped out, so I don't know if he's gotten any better after the injury or not.  But I don't think Fab will ever be much of a shooter or post player, in terms of backing a guy down and shooting over him.  His offense will largely consist of alleyoops and putbacks.  He's probably a little more mobile than Perk, and a better jumper, so if he learns better technique, he'll probably have a little more defensive range.  Will he ever be as tough as Perk?  Not sure -- Perk had intimidation in spades.  But sure, he could be Perk, or Perk-like.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The sky probably isn't the limit, but it's still likely he'll improve somewhat more than other players his age with much more experience. I also think that the Celts will be able to deal with any language barriers. I'd say it's a little premature to make any predictions about whether he'll be kept beyond his rookie contract as well.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Wow- I didn't realize there were so many people down on Courtney Lee. I'm crazy excited about Courtney Lee and I'd put that signing right up there next to the Jason Terry signing on my list of reasons Ainge deserves a medal.

But this Melo stuff, I don't know. Every year around the draft we get reminded how rare it is to find a skilled, athletic seven-footer... and every year this is somehow misconstrued as a reason to value unskilled, kind-of-athletic seven-footers.

Projects like Melo are certainly worth something, but in this draft there were Miles Plumlee, Festus Ezuli, and Robert Sacre, for example, sitting in the same pool with similar skill-sets and size. The D-league and NBA free agency are also well-stocked with guys like Ryan Hollins, Jeff Foote, Jerome Jordan. I'm not convinced that Melo was obviously the best project there when there were some really solid players available in what was essentially a double-dip draft.

I don't think Fab Melo is gold. I think he's another in a big bag of lottery tickets.

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
When talking about Fab's ceiling consider these things.
Size = True 7ft, long wingspan, big hands, frame to support lot of muscles. 10/10
Athleticism = good elevation and quickness, excellent footwork and timing.  9/10
IQ = Difficult to evaluate, just learning the game. Good vision, good defensive instincts, plays within his limits. 6?/10
Motor/Attitude = Good energy, very coachable, liked by his teammates, can take a joke.  10/10
Skills = Excellent shot blocker, takes charges well, good passer, average rebounder, good shooting mechanics but needs more reps.  5?/10

His IQ will determine how far he will go.  His skills will improve.  He will continue to develop his fundamentals.  But how much of the Xs and Os he can master will be his only limit. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I'm a big Fab fan, but I've heard he is closer to a 3 or 4 when it comes to bbiq. Just not very good at remembering plays at Syracuse. Like head shakingly bad.

I agree that iq can (and will) limit him, but he has great instincts and passing vision, and those are all factors when assessing bbiq.

Fab has enough talent and physical ability to still be a stand out center, even if he never becomes good at memorizing the playbook. Fab is good enough that Doc will let him play through some mental mistakes.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No Melo
No Collins
Keep Moore

Keep Moore, no Courtney Lee. Simple as that.

Yikes. Im not a huge courtney lee fan but even this sounds terrible.

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm a big Fab fan, but I've heard he is closer to a 3 or 4 when it comes to bbiq. Just not very good at remembering plays at Syracuse. Like head shakingly bad.

I agree that iq can (and will) limit him, but he has great instincts and passing vision, and those are all factors when assessing bbiq.

Fab has enough talent and physical ability to still be a stand out center, even if he never becomes good at memorizing the playbook. Fab is good enough that Doc will let him play through some mental mistakes.
Fab can block shots...great! Every center we get can do that in case you haven't seen. His IQ is just terrible and not terrible JaVale Mcgee style. Like terrible like "Evan make basket". He is just not ready for the NBA yet. He just don't understand baskball enough to even step foot on the court. He needs the D-leauge BAD. He needs to learn (not develop) how to score on D period.

There is basic B-Ball stuff that he just clearly does not know.To be honest I bet he don't even know all of the NBA rules. I'm not saying he is dumb, just that he hasn't played enough to understand everything.

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Should we all agree that Collins was definitely a mistake? But even then I think he'd be useful. He's made a living being an enforcer. His 6 hard fouls will come in handy. Would like a PG but not complaining.

Only other mistake might be that he did not buy a 2nd rounder. But getting Christmas was awesome.

On the other hand, surprised at the so many knocks against Fab Melo. I'd say I was not a fan of him but I'm liking the choice more and more.

PJIII was who I wanted at first too but after finding out how injured he is, I'm not so sure. Matter of fact I think he's injured as I type.

Moultrie was another one I was very interested in but apparently he's a huge headcase.

Tony Wroten maybe? He's not a finished product, though.

And I definitely see the point people were making. Every draftee at that point had a significant flaw. Fab Melo is very, very raw but with KG mentoring him I'm awfully excited.

I also see that Danny's really scouted well. Questions on Melo's attitude, motor and other intangibles were put to rest when I saw him on the floor.

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Birdman is - as far as I know - still under investigation for child ****ography, and until that issue is gone, no NBA team will touch him.

Melo was always a project, and considering the depth of this team, I can't see a problem with that. His BBIQ is his biggest obstacle, and I hope that he becomes a student of the game with KG as his teacher/mentor. All the other stuff will be affected by his willingness and ability to learn.

If I were Danny, I would have called Ray before I talked to KG, and get everything cleared up. I'm pretty sure, that Ray wouldn't have stayed, if KG retired, anyway.
I would prefer Ray over Lee, but chemistry might still be an issue. So maybe it's all for the best.

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
With the luxury of hindsight, I would have drafted Perry Jones instead of Fab Melo.

There must be information out there about Chris Anderson that we don't have, so it's hard to say this unreservedly, but based on what I know I'd have prioritized signing him to signing Jason Collins or drafting Fab Melo.

TP

That's the one. That's the one thing I would've done different. PJ3 would've been sick here. If I was running the team I probably wouldn't have brought Bass back but not the worst thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:47:01 AM by bucknersrevenge »
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
No Melo
No Collins
Keep Moore

Keep Moore, no Courtney Lee. Simple as that.

Yikes. Im not a huge courtney lee fan but even this sounds terrible.
lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
As an aside- in order to fulfill his potential two more years in college would have been better for Fab Melo than D-league or benchwarming. Agree?